• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aspen 2021 - Unofficial, socially-distanced, stay-safe, non-Gathering, February 27th - March 6th

James

Out There
Instructor
Little known story about Highlands-
Springsteen actually wrote his hit song Thunder Bowl at Highlands. Obviously inspired by the trail of that name. I don’t think he could get down it. Comfortably anyway. Rumor is he slid down much of it. When he got back to Jersey he realized he’d have to change it to Road. He had to change the whole thing to be about cars instead of skiing. The rest is history...
(note, the previous story may or may not have any truth to it)

Speaking of Springsteen, have you seen the picture hanging in the mid mt lodge, of Cher at Highlands in the early 70’s?? True classic. Used to be in the bathroom, but they moved it downstairs after the renos. Don’t know if it’s still there.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of Springsteen, have you seen the picture hanging in the mid mt lodge, of Cher at Highlands in the early 70’s?? True classic. Used to be in the bathroom, but they moved it downstairs after the renos. Don’t know if it’s still there.
I haven't seen the picture in person, but someone has posted it here at some point I think.

James

Out There
Instructor
I haven't seen the picture in person, but someone has posted it here at some point I think.
Yes I asked @mdf take a photo of it. It’s near impossible to find online.
Will you ski Buttermilk??
Surely you should take some laps for a friendly revisit.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes I asked @mdf take a photo of it. It’s near impossible to find online.
Will you ski Buttermilk??
Surely you should take some laps for a friendly revisit.
Might squeeze that in tomorrow... still up in the air... if I go, maybe I'll see if I can ski a circle. :)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Might squeeze that in tomorrow... still up in the air... if I go, maybe I'll see if I can ski a circle.
If that Thursday storm materializes, those easy black runs at Buttermilk will deliver untracked powder all day.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, what a day, but the crowds.
:)

Actually it was such a nice day... a little spring-ish... that a lot of folks came out, and the gondola line in the afternoon was nearly 10 minutes at times. It was brutal. We almost considered not skiing top to bottom. :ogbiggrin:

Skied today with @AeroSKI5150. @NeillST, and @MattSmith ... great day at Ajax. Things were a little firm in the morning, though soft groomers by eastern standards. And they softened up in the afternoon sun and we found some nice soft bumps - approaching slush bumps. Some of the groomers were actually getting icy in the shade where they were refreezing. @AeroSKI5150 said parts of our last run (Ruthie's to the base) felt like Vermont :geek::P

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Little known story about Highlands-
Springsteen actually wrote his hit song Thunder Bowl at Highlands. Obviously inspired by the trail of that name. I don’t think he could get down it. Comfortably anyway. Rumor is he slid down much of it. When he got back to Jersey he realized he’d have to change it to Road. He had to change the whole thing to be about cars instead of skiing. The rest is history...

I think it was there at the 2015 gathering.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowmass today... a grey day, but unfotunately it doesn't look like the snow is going to materialize much... 4-6" has turned into 1-3" and just a dusting overnight last night.

Should be a great day anyway.... because we'll be skiing! :)

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks good! Have you been taking the bus between resorts? If so, how is that working out?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks good! Have you been taking the bus between resorts? If so, how is that working out?
The bus has been great for the most part. I did have one delay where I waited maybe 30 minutes for a connection that's supposed to come every 15 minutes, (Since you do have one transfer going from Snowmass to Highlands and back.) Otherwise it's been great.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
Good morning dbostedo, ski3po and I are finding some nice conditions at steamboat but do wish we could have joined you for a few turns at Aspen. We elected steamboat over aspen with covid in mind. Ski well Dave.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier

I'm gonna with not.

But I have to ask @James question based based solely on your profile pic: were you an Apollo mission director?

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm gonna with not.

But I have to ask @James question based based solely on your profile pic: were you an Apollo mission director?
Ha, no. That’s Jack King, public affairs officer. The voice of the countdown on many of the Apollo launches.

Sponsor

Staff online