• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aspen 2021 - Unofficial, socially-distanced, stay-safe, non-Gathering, February 27th - March 6th

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow , having never been to Aspen I didn't realize how close the Airport was. How big is the planes that Fly in there ?? I was happy last year at JH how close the Airport was. Makes SLC a long way to LCC

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow , having never been to Aspen I didn't realize how close the Airport was. How big is the planes that Fly in there ?? I was happy last year at JH how close the Airport was. Makes SLC a long way to LCC
Nothing as large as a 737 even, though there are talks of expansion to accept them.

Most of the planes are Bombardier or Embraer regional jets. (2 & 2 seating)

The airport is about 10 mins from Aspen Mountain or Aspen Highlands, and about 20 from Snowmass. That's pretty rush hour dependent though, as weekday rush hour is significant. There are dedicated bus lanes though, which keeps public transport between the mountains moving.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At Aspen Airport I think most of the jets are corporate Lear jet types; after all it is Aspen. ogsmile

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Wow , having never been to Aspen
@Brad J, Aspen is still THE iconic US resort and as a bonus it is the least crowded of all the major US resorts. Every serious skier needs to go there and I hear tell the Official TalkSki Gathering will be there in 2022...just sayin.

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
A lovely trip all around, albeit always too short and fraught with travel snafus coming and going (got waved off our ASE landing due to the plane in front of us having a collapsed landing gear... off to Grand Junction and an oh-so-fun Uber ride back. Then on our way out of course that was the day a little snow came in and nothing could land due to visibility. Stuck overnight and didn't get to catch the fresh powder! Ah well, time to spare - go by air!) Fortunate to have spent a few days in a great place with no crowds and with friends old and new -- can't wait 'til next year!

Here's a view of ASE looking down from the mountain
ASE Airport.jpg

@NeillST at the top of Elk Camp
Neill.jpg

@dbostedo as we prepared to head down something, perhaps Northstar & Gentlemen's Ridge, a workout but enjoyable
Dave.jpg

Me and the Mrs. at Puppy Point. She even conquered her first black run - The Edge @ Snowmass. She loved the new-to-her Black Pearls (Thanks @margaritamarcia & @bbinder!) and finally got her into some new boots, Salomon Smax 110 fitted by the one and only Jack Rafferty!
Mike Missy 4.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Did you happen to discuss possible locations for next season's gathering?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you happen to discuss possible locations for next season's gathering?
I'd say we were likely checking out all the locations for next season's gathering :)
The plan (as of now) is to revisit Aspen next year because this year was unofficial and we want those who didn't attend have their chance.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The plan (as of now) is to revisit Aspen next year because this year was unofficial and we want those who didn't attend have their chance.

Please keep it Aspen! I'm already looking for places to stay at Snowmass late February.

I've never been either so we can both check it off our list next year. As a bonus I'm thinking of tacking on a couple of days at the end and heading up to Steamboat to check off another bucket list resort.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Both times I went to Aspen I flew into their airport. Maybe I got lucky, but no flight delays. (The flights from Denver seem to cancel or reschedule more often ones from other cities -- we can speculate why that is....)

At the luggage claim there were two stations -- one marked "Denver" and one marked "Everywhere Else".

My first trip my hotel picked me up and dropped me off. The second time I took a taxi on arrival, and used the intermountain bus (!) on departure. The bus stop is out on the main road but it is pretty close. I'll have to admit the snow conditions on the sidewalk were not ideal for my suitcase wheels.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please keep it Aspen! I'm already looking for places to stay at Snowmass late February.

I've never been either so we can both check it off our list next year. As a bonus I'm thinking of tacking on a couple of days at the end and heading up to Steamboat to check off another bucket list resort.
I don't believe we have intentions of changing the venue. Too many people were disappointed about the "off" year we have been working through.
I hadn't skied Steamboat until last year and even then it was one run because I was pretty sick when we were there.
This year I got to experience it in a pretty good way, right after they got 40" of new snow on the heels of a pretty dry start.
I highly recommend it.

Up until this Steamboat experience, I had been several times in the summer. Also a big win!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Little known story about Highlands-
Springsteen actually wrote his hit song Thunder Bowl at Highlands. Obviously inspired by the trail of that name. I don’t think he could get down it. Comfortably anyway. Rumor is he slid down much of it. When he got back to Jersey he realized he’d have to change it to Road. He had to change the whole thing to be about cars instead of skiing. The rest is history...
(note, the previous story may or may not have any truth to it)

Speaking of Springsteen, have you seen the picture hanging in the mid mt lodge, of Cher at Highlands in the early 70’s?? True classic. Used to be in the bathroom, but they moved it downstairs after the renos. Don’t know if it’s still there.
The Cher photo is in the men's bathroom upstairs.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't believe we have intentions of changing the venue. Too many people were disappointed about the "off" year we have been working through.
I hadn't skied Steamboat until last year and even then it was one run because I was pretty sick when we were there.
This year I got to experience it in a pretty good way, right after they got 40" of new snow on the heels of a pretty dry start.
I highly recommend it.

Up until this Steamboat experience, I had been several times in the summer. Also a big win!

That's great to hear, @Tricia Sounds like you had a great time with that much new snow. I'm looking forward to both Aspen and Steamboat.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Trip report posted...

bigguyski

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

Great season skiing around Alberta. I skied 39 days total including Sunshine, Marmot, Nakiska, Canyon in Red Deer and my local hills, (I use the term hills loosely) Snow Valley for Masters ski racing and Rabbit Hill. Just wondering what are the most likely dates for Aspen next year. I would really like to get my airfare booked before the border reopens and the price skyrockets.

Kent

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello all,

Great season skiing around Alberta. I skied 39 days total including Sunshine, Marmot, Nakiska, Canyon in Red Deer and my local hills, (I use the term hills loosely) Snow Valley for Masters ski racing and Rabbit Hill. Just wondering what are the most likely dates for Aspen next year. I would really like to get my airfare booked before the border reopens and the price skyrockets.

Kent

I can’t remember what’s up in the rotation but it won’t be Aspen next year.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can’t remember what’s up in the rotation but it won’t be Aspen next year.
I believe it will be Aspen for the gathering since it was missed this year. @Tricia, can you confirm?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe Aspen is what was decided. The last few Gatherings have started the last week of Feb/ first week of March. I made an accommodations reservation for Sat Feb 26- Sat March 5. I can cancel and change dates if needed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe it will be Aspen for the gathering since it was missed this year. @Tricia, can you confirm?
I believe Aspen is what was decided. The last few Gatherings have started the last week of Feb/ first week of March. I made an accommodations reservation for Sat Feb 26- Sat March 5. I can cancel and change dates if needed.
Yes Aspen.
@dbostedo is taking a lead.
Phil and I are working out some kinks.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on history and some recent posts it will likely be the dates David posted, give or take a day. I have flights and a condo booked for those dates as well.

Sponsor

Staff online