• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aspen 2021 - Unofficial, socially-distanced, stay-safe, non-Gathering, February 27th - March 6th

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen Gathering 020916 017 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
View down into Aspen from up on Aspen Mountain (Ajax) at the 2016 Aspen Gathering

So there's no official Gathering this year, though it was planned to be at Aspen (where it will most likely be next year). But some of us - me at least - were stoked to get back to Aspen, so are still going. Pitkin county still has COVID testing requirements in place, but if you can get tested, it should be a good time. It would be great to meet up with some folks to make some turns, and have some safe oudoor fun and camaraderie.

So who's going to be there? Feel free to add your dates if you're coming... or feel free to ask questions if you have any. So far I think we have (dates are the skiing days, not travel days):

@dbostedo - 2/28 - 3/5
@MattSmith + 1 - 3/3 - 3/5
@AeroSKI5150 + 1 - 3/1 - 3/3
@NeillST - 3/1 - 3/3

Anyone else? @Drahtguy Kevin? @darius1981 - feel free to post up here too

Last edited:

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
Woohoo, can't wait... first time to Aspen. Staying near Snowmass Village (Woodbridge condos). Hoping the bus system works well and is as convenient as people say, including to/from the airport!

If there's any must-do or don't-miss things that are Covid compatible, love to hear about it!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Woohoo, can't wait... first time to Aspen. Staying near Snowmass Village (Woodbridge condos). Hoping the bus system works well and is as convenient as people say, including to/from the airport!

If there's any must-do or don't-miss things that are Covid compatible, love to hear about it!
I'm at the Willows, just up the hill a ways. And I actually took a cab from the airport last time I was out there, because I didn't want to wrangle my suitcase and ski bag on the bus.

The busses are great in general - frequent and easy to use with good pickup/dropoff locations at the mountains. There are ski carriers on the outside of the busses too, which is nice too.

As far as other COVID compatible activities, I couldn't tell you... all I did was ski, après, dinner last time... rinse and repeat for 6 days. This time I'll probably mostly be eating in, but if the weather's nice, some outdoor après is always great.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Sorry, I will not be able to join you, I am scheduled to get my second vaccine shot 3/3/21 in NJ. I would love to get back to Aspen someday just not sure when. Thanks for sharing. While you are there thrown an anniversary party for @Philpug and @Tricia even though it is not 29 February.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

We stayed in the Woodbridge condos about 10 years ago. They had two different options for us, one was "deluxe" for an extra $50/night. I asked what you get for that and he said it's just $50 nicer and I went for it. My wife's first day of skiing she tore her ACL, MCL, meniscus and her other MCL. She thanked me for getting the nicer place since she spent most of the week there as me and my son skied.

Hopefully all you have a better trip than she did.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like a little new snow at least... assuming my flight gets in on Saturday!

1614308385768.png

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Negative covid test no longer required to visit Pitkin County:

Woodbridge is easily accessed by RFTA bus (to Aspen, Highlands (with transfer or direct but late), and the airport. You will need to walk from/to the Faraway Road bus stop on Brush Creek Road which can be a bit of a stroll depending on where in Woodbridge your unit is located. There is also the Snowmass town shuttle which comes close to almost all of the units (no more than 200 feet). The shuttle serves the transit center/base village, the Center (a couple of restaurants and grocery store) and the Snowmass Mall. If your unit is located too far from Brush Creek Road for you to feel like walking to the RFTA bus stop, you can take the shuttle to the transit center and transfer.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Negative covid test no longer required to visit Pitkin County:

That covers at least half of the travel equation for that destination. Many/most states and employers, including mine, require a negative test or a number of asymptomatic self isolation days upon return before resuming their particular "covid normal" routines. Fortunately for me, my normal is working from home.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fortunately for me, my normal is working from home.
Me too... so that side of things hasn't been an issue. And Virginia doesn't have any particular requirements anyway - just suggestions.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn’t look like I’ll be able to swing it with my work schedule getting F’d up for Monday.
Too bad... though there's not a lot of fresh snow in the forecast, so maybe not much of a loss for CO folks... I really wish the Saturday snow was happening on Sunday....

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was a very good day...
Today was pretty good at Snowmass... beautiful bluebird, not crowded, and not too cold.

Leftovers everywhere... skied a lot of the easy trees (mostly Powerline area)... skied Campground area for the first time ever today - it was getting a little heavier, though still nice, near the bottom. Wore me out on the short steeper/deeper sections.

Pic from the top of Sheer Bliss...

20210228_103835.jpg

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have arrived at Snowmass and will check out the powder tomorrow for those coming in later... most of it fell during the day and probably got skied, but it's still coming down.

View attachment 126063
Have fun!

I hadn't checked the Snowmass snow stake for a while. That's sweet. Nice to see them up the snow stake ante in both style and function!