• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Aspen Gathering 2022 - Aspen never disappoints!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen Gathering 2022 056 ACR Conv Pano.jpg
One of my favorite views from any resort... Pyramid Peak and the Maroon Bells from Aspen Highlands

After COVID cancelled last year's Gathering at Aspen (though a handful of us still went), it was decided to keep things at Aspen for 2022. While prices were up, travel had gotten a bit easier, and Aspen is always a great destination. So a bunch of us headed off to hopefully ski, drink, eat, and have a great time. And it worked! I skied six days with a lot of ski friends (and a few snowboard friends) and really enjoyed the hell out of everything, as usual. :) Aspen is probably my favorite ski destination among all the places I've been, and even with a bit of a lean snow year, it didn't disappoint.

The schedule was to ski three of the mountains, and with a tweak during the Gathering, we did 3 days at Snowmass, 2 days at Highlands, and 1 day at Ajax. Things kicked off on Day 1 with the morning meetup at Snowmass.

The bridge to the Assay Hill lift from Woodbridge condos. An easy walk in the morning, and ski back.
Aspen Gathering 2022 002 ACR Conv.jpg

First morning! @Brock Tice, @Dean, @P-Ute, @jimmy, @Tony S, @SKI-3PO, @theNitza, @SkiDB
Aspen Gathering 2022 004 ACR Conv.jpg

@Rainbow Jenny hasn't been to a Gathering in a while, and got a warm welcome, L-to-R: on the edge is @Phelmut, @Dean, @Gary Stolt, @P-Ute, @jimmy, @Rainbow Jenny, @SKI-3PO, a bit of @Tony S, @Unpiste, and @theNitza
Aspen Gathering 2022 005 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tony S, in the middle, with everyone chatting to start the day
Aspen Gathering 2022 007 ACR Conv.jpg

Now I was there only to say hello to everyone, as my luggage (suitcase and bootbag) still hadn't arrived from my flight the prior morning. Oddly, I had my skis, but that didn't do me much good with no clothing, boots, helmet, etc. So I spent the day running to the airport to check on and eventually pick up my bags as they came in (on different flights). But around 1:00 I had everything and headed out to the slopes... I caught up with a few SkiTalkers and my roommates for a handful of runs. Not the greatest day, but I was thankful to be skiing!

First bump sighting under Elk Camp lift
Aspen Gathering 2022 014 ACR Conv.jpg

My roommates! Steve would join us a little later in the week... me, @MattSmith, Whitney, and Jess
Aspen Gathering 2022 017 ACR Conv.jpg

The view from Elk Camp... it's hard to beat the scenery among the various Aspen Mountains, IMO
Aspen Gathering 2022 019 ACR Conv.jpg

That night, my roommates and I went to a Drive-By Truckers show at the Belly Up in Aspen. It's a neat venue and a great place to see a show. It's the right size, has tiered seating, and was a lot of fun. If you're interested in going, I'd recommend it.

Drive-By Truckers at The Belly-up in Aspen
20220227_210311 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 2 was the first at Aspen Highlands. It's typically a Gathering favorite, whether for hiking the Bowl, or lapping Deep Temerity, or a number of other tree, bump, and cruising runs. We started the morning skiing in the sun, with some fast laps off Loge lift, then after a short break (and some cornhole for the Minks) we headed to Thunder Bowl and Golden Horn. Huge open groomers that are usually in great shape... and were terrific both mornings at Highlands as they get morning sun too. I got a bunch of pics of SkiTalkers ripping the groomer below...

Aspen Highlands in the morning makes me smile
20220228_084423 ACR Conv.jpg

Lots of SkiTalkers... @Andy Mink, @P-Ute, @AKMINK 's back, @Brock Tice, @Dean, @KevinF, @Philpug, @theNitza, @Gary Stolt, @David Chaus, @Noodler, @SKI-3PO, @Rainbow Jenny, Lescek, @Unpiste
Aspen Gathering 2022 020 ACR Conv.jpg

@jimmy, @AKMINK, and @Andy Mink on Golden Horn
Aspen Gathering 2022 024 ACR Conv.jpg

Me and @David Chaus on the morning runs
Aspen Gathering 2022 027 ACR Conv.jpg

@Unpiste and @Tony S
Aspen Gathering 2022 029 ACR Conv.jpg

First view of Highland Bowl
Aspen Gathering 2022 031 ACR Conv.jpg

Part of the morning crew... @Jim Kenney, @Rainbow Jenny, @TheArchitect (with @mdf behind I think), @Noodler (with @Phelmut behind), @jimmy, @SkiDB, @SKI-3PO
Aspen Gathering 2022 034 ACR Conv.jpg

The view from the top of Face of Oly, off of Loge lift
Aspen Gathering 2022 035 ACR Conv.jpg

Quick pit stop break after some runs... and cornhole!
Aspen Gathering 2022 037 ACR Conv.jpg

Then back over to Thunder Bowl/Golden Horn...

@SkiDB

Aspen Gathering 2022 040 ACR Conv.jpg

@MattSmith
Aspen Gathering 2022 042 ACR Conv.jpg

@Rainbow Jenny
Aspen Gathering 2022 043 ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza
Aspen Gathering 2022 044 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tony S
Aspen Gathering 2022 045 ACR Conv.jpg

@Tony S, with @Unpiste, and @SKI-3PO following
Aspen Gathering 2022 046 ACR Conv.jpg

@SKI-3PO with @Gary Stolt following
Aspen Gathering 2022 048 ACR Conv.jpg

@Gary Stolt
Aspen Gathering 2022 049 ACR Conv.jpg

@Philpug
Aspen Gathering 2022 051 ACR Conv.jpg

@mdf
Aspen Gathering 2022 052 ACR Conv.jpg

Of course, we also had to go out to the patrol deck at the top and take in the views, and get some pics...

Jess and Whitney with Highland Bowl
IMG-6807 ACR Conv.jpg

@Philpug, Whitney, Jess, @AKMINK, @Andy Mink, me, @Tricia, with @TheArchitect in front
IMG-6813 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 3 the next day was supposed to be Ajax, but we pivoted and did Snowmass again. Since it's larger than the others, it made sense to spend more time there. I spent a good amount of time in Big Burn, and then a few of us headed over to the Poma for the ride to the top. Some folks headed for the cirque, but I was heading for High Alpine, and then down to lunch. It's a bit of an adventure going that way, and I love the views up there (though didn't take too many pics this time).

The top of Big Burn and Powerline Glade... @MattSmith on the left
Aspen Gathering 2022 060 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Matt was his typical dour, depressing self when skiing all week...
Aspen Gathering 2022 063 ACR Conv.jpg

I love the easy trees and bumps in Powerline Glade... one of my favorite areas
Aspen Gathering 2022 065 ACR Conv.jpg

And the snow stayed soft mostly - a pretty good storm a few days before we arrived really helped
Aspen Gathering 2022 066 ACR Conv.jpg

Heading to the poma, we found a larger-than-usual line... but it moved OK without too many folks falling off...
Aspen Gathering 2022 074 ACR Conv.jpg

Heading down the cat track past the top of the Cirque toward High Alpine
Aspen Gathering 2022 076 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Whitney and Jess taking in the view... the poma is not always easy for snowboarders, but they both made it...
Aspen Gathering 2022 081 ACR Conv.jpg

The afternoon was spent in the Alpine Springs area, and Elk Camp with some groomers, and some trees, and a few bumps, and more nice runs.

Some afternoon crew... @KevinF, @SkiDB, @P-Ute, and @David Chaus
Aspen Gathering 2022 082 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 4 we were back at Highlands, and we started with Golden Horn/Thunder Bowl again... awesome as usual. Then back up for some more groomer runs. The day was absolutely beautiful though it was warming up, and would be pretty warm by lunchtime. A bunch of folks hiked the bowl on this day... and everyone loved it by all accounts. (I didn't do it yet - one of these days! I'm kind of regretting not doing it this time.) But it was a typically great day at Highlands.

@Unpiste, and @dovski (Attending his first Gathering for a couple of days)
Aspen Gathering 2022 085 ACR Conv.jpg

I know Stockli is popular on here... but this random chair meeting was a bit ridiculous...
Aspen Gathering 2022 086 ACR Conv.jpg

Groomer zoomer crew... @David Chaus, @dovski, @Dean, @theNitza, @Unpiste, @Tony S
Aspen Gathering 2022 088 ACR Conv.jpg

Hard to not take pics of Highland Bowl
Aspen Gathering 2022 091 ACR Conv.jpg

@Gary Stolt and @jimmy following
Aspen Gathering 2022 098 ACR Conv.jpg

@jimmy
Aspen Gathering 2022 100 ACR Conv.jpg

Sticker shot... with a bunch of them....
Aspen Gathering 2022 101 ACR Conv.jpg

The bump run is Scarlett's... I've skied it quite a lot, but never very much of it before bailing. This time I made it about 2/3rds of the way, which was pretty good for me...
20220302_104647 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 5 was our one day at Ajax (Aspen Mountain). It was another pretty warm one, and just beautiful. The views over to Highlands and into town are great. Things were frozen up early, but softened later in that day. And I hit a bunch of fun runs. And saw a few interesting characters, as you sometimes do in Aspen. :cool:

The view of Highlands Bowl and Deep Temerity areas from the top of Ajax
Aspen Gathering 2022 105 ACR Conv.jpg

Part of the Silver Queen gondola on Ajax, and some of the high groomers
Aspen Gathering 2022 107 ACR Conv.jpg

@SkiDB, @Tony S, @SKI-3PO, and me
Aspen Gathering 2022 108 ACR Conv.jpg

We made a bit of a wrong turn and wound up at the very slow Shadow Mountain lift... @Philpug and me
Aspen Gathering 2022 111 ACR Conv.jpg

Lunch at Ajax... Steve here getting his inner Squirrel on...
image000001 ACR Conv.jpg

Near table... @Gary Stolt, @mdf, @SkiDB... back table, Whitney, @dovski, @MattSmith, Steve
20220303_123752 ACR Conv.jpg

@MattSmith and @ChunderBlunder somewhere on Ajax
Aspen Gathering 2022 114 ACR Conv.jpg

Whitney!
Aspen Gathering 2022 119 ACR Conv.jpg

Steve!
Aspen Gathering 2022 121 ACR Conv.jpg

The view down Spar Gulch to town from FIS lift
Aspen Gathering 2022 126 ACR Conv.jpg

@MattSmith and Steve getting off FIS while we're on Ruthie's lift
Aspen Gathering 2022 131 ACR Conv.jpg

The view from Ruthies of the airport and town, with Steve and Whitney
Aspen Gathering 2022 133 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

One of the local characters... I had to snap a pic... leopard onesie, aviator helmet, and a monoski!!
Aspen Gathering 2022 115 ACR Conv.jpg

Heading for the bus stop after après... @MattSmith and me ... seems like a very Aspen-y pic :)
processed-3c67cbcc-84de-4158-a4f5-0f3c0dabbbab_eKwYKnYE ACR Conv.jpg

Finally, Day 6 was my last ski day, and back at Snowmass. For some reason, all my other Snowmass days (including prior trips) started on the right of the trail map, and moved to the left... so today we reversed that and skied Elk Camp first. It was a grey, re-frozen day, and early the runs in Elk Camp were foggy/flat-light, and hard as a rock if you went off the groomers. But things started to soften and were getting nice on some runs in Alpine Springs area a couple of runs later. We skied a few runs there, and a few off High Alpine. I completed all of Showcase bump run for the first time, and with only a couple of stops - which isn't that difficult for some but is a lot for me. The Taos Ski Weeks are paying off!

@TheArchitect heading for Showcase
Aspen Gathering 2022 145 ACR Conv.jpg

@mdf heading for Showcase
Aspen Gathering 2022 147 ACR Conv.jpg

Taking Green Cabin down past the Cirque
Aspen Gathering 2022 149 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

@MattSmith and Steve in some bumps
Aspen Gathering 2022 163 ACR Conv.jpg

We skied back at the end of the last day, and Matt decided to make it the whole way to the building, grass and all....
Aspen Gathering 2022 165 ACR Conv.jpg

après
Of course one of the most important parts of skiing is... not skiing... Because you're drinking... After skiing... Or if you want to be all French about it (as we often do)... après! Going to the various mountains also gives you various options for hanging out afterward.... In Snowmass, we hit the Ranger Station at Snowmass mall, happy hour at The Edge, and the sofas at Base Camp in the main village. At Highlands, not really having a village, the hangout is Highlands Alehouse, just off the snow at the base. And at Aspen, there's always the Ajax Tavern just next to the gondola which can be great people watching... but unfortunately was very crowded by the time we stopped. So we hoofed it a bit to Aspen Brewing Company which is a cool little spot to hangout along the street in town.

Highlands Alehouse - Front-to-Back... Steve, me, Jess, @MattSmith, Whitney, @SkiDB
imagejpeg_0(2) ACR Conv.jpg

Aspen Brewing - Whitney, Steve, @MattSmith, me
20220303_154310 ACR Conv.jpg

Flights
I prefer flying in to Aspen rather than Denver, to avoid the long drive. And in this case avoid getting a rental car. Others may choose to fly into Denver, or Eagle, and drive - especially since Aspen isn't particularly reliable. But I've gotten in just fine three times now - except for the delay with my bags this time. That was a bit inexplicable, since my bags were stuck in Dallas, and there are 4 or 5 American flights a day from there in the winter. But I got things eventually and everything worked out fine.

Lodging
We stayed at Woodbridge condos near Snowmass Village. It was a good spot - a bit away from the mountain, so it's a little cheaper, but still walkable to the lifts in the morning, and almost ski-in. Lodging everywhere around Aspen (and much of the west) was really up in price this year, so it wasn't exactly a good value... but it wasn't too bad to share the cost.

Thanks!!

Last, I'd like to thank @Philpug and @Tricia, everyone who came and I skied with (not going to attempt to name everyone), and especially my roommates @MattSmith, Whitney, Steve, and Jess... Thanks for a fantastic trip, and looking forward to seeing you all soon!

View of Snowmass from the plane... until next time...
20220226_120740.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor