• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Hawk Ultra changes for 2020/2021

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
It is way past time for me to buy a new boot, I currently have a 2008 Salomon Falcon Race in a 120 flex. I'm looking at buying the Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD 120. I'm looking for a resort (mainly Snowbird) boot that can also be used to tour in a little.

What changes were made to the 2020/2021 Atomic Hawk Ulta XTD compared to the 2019/2020 version? Is it just a new liner or have there been other changes?

Thanks!

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
It is way past time for me to buy a new boot, I currently have a 2008 Salomon Falcon Race in a 120 flex. I'm looking at buying the Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD 120. I'm looking for a resort (mainly Snowbird) boot that can also be used to tour in a little.

What changes were made to the 2020/2021 Atomic Hawk Ulta XTD compared to the 2019/2020 version? Is it just a new liner or have there been other changes?

Thanks!

The Mimic liner is worth paying for this year's boot.

Do you tour now? Or do you just like the idea of that option?

TS
scotchipman

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
I plan to tour in the near future, staring with the boots and slowly buying the rest.

From what I have been reading it sounds like the new mimic liner is the only thing new this year and I agree it is the way to go and what I want assuming I can find one in a 26/26.5. My other thought was if I found a great deal on the 2019/2020 I would just buy a intuition liner to replace the one they come with. If I went that route which intuition liner would you recommend for a low volume foot and a small calf?

If anyone sees a great deal on this years boot or last years in a 26/26.5 please post a link.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Besides a color change, the only difference in the 20/21 version is the new Mimic Platinum liner, which will give you a uniquely moldable ankle, heel, tongue, instep, and calf.

TS
scotchipman

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
I ended up buying the 2020/2021 version from Backcountry.com, talked them into 20% off through their online chat.

I do still want to know which intuition liner people like best in this boot for someone with a low volume foot and small calf?

Bring on the snow!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I ended up buying the 2020/2021 version from Backcountry.com, talked them into 20% off through their online chat.

I do still want to know which intuition liner people like best in this boot for someone with a low volume foot and small calf?

Bring on the snow!

How much instep room in your shell fit with your footbed in the bottom of your shell?

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

Bring on the snow!

Coming from someone who has personally owned and skied a lot of Intuition liners over the years, don't immediately switch out the Mimic for an Intuition. I think you will find that a properly molded Mimic liner will shape, fit, and ski far better than an Intuition. Plus, we include our World Cup liner spoiler with it now and it can take up a LOT of space behind your skinny calf if needed. The only area where an Intuition beats a Mimic liner is in the weight category. But I think you will find that a Mimic liner will fit and ski better enough to outweigh the weight penalty.

TS
scotchipman

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, will for sure use the mimic liner for this season and see how it goes.
Coming from someone who has personally owned and skied a lot of Intuition liners over the years, don't immediately switch out the Mimic for an Intuition. I think you will find that a properly molded Mimic liner will shape, fit, and ski far better than an Intuition. Plus, we include our World Cup liner spoiler with it now and it can take up a LOT of space behind your skinny calf if needed. The only area where an Intuition beats a Mimic liner is in the weight category. But I think you will find that a Mimic liner will fit and ski better enough to outweigh the weight penalty.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
My Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD 120 have arrived and I do want to say I very impressed with the fit right out of the box, can't wait to get some insoles in them and the liners heat molded. @onenerdykid is it possible to heat mold the liners on my own?

Hey Scot, Glad you are liking them so far! Mimic liners have a specific customization process and specific tools in order to properly mold the liner and not run into any quality problems along the way. We 100% suggest that you reach out to an Atomic dealer who has been trained in the process and has the tools to do it correctly.

You can check out more details about why here:

TS
scotchipman

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
Hey Scot, Glad you are liking them so far! Mimic liners have a specific customization process and specific tools in order to properly mold the liner and not run into any quality problems along the way. We 100% suggest that you reach out to an Atomic dealer who has been trained in the process and has the tools to do it correctly.

You can check out more details about why here:
Thanks for the link to the thread. I'm no worried that most of my local shops with college age employees won't do a good job. Where in Utah do you recommend I go?

Florida Man

Booting up
Skier
I would recommend to head to Sports Den up in the SLC area. That is where I got fitted for my Atomic Hawk Ultras and got custom work done. There are some younger employees there but they should have a master boot fitter around everyday. (When I got fitted hadn't even sat down and the guy knew what I needed.)

If I understand right it is also a one time charge. So if any of the work done isn't perfect the first time they don't charge you again for the same type of work the next time.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Don't overlook heating the shell, too. Mine (2019s?) were nice before being molded. Superb after both the liner and shell were molded.

TS
scotchipman

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
I would recommend to head to Sports Den up in the SLC area. That is where I got fitted for my Atomic Hawk Ultras and got custom work done. There are some younger employees there but they should have a master boot fitter around everyday. (When I got fitted hadn't even sat down and the guy knew what I needed.)

If I understand right it is also a one time charge. So if any of the work done isn't perfect the first time they don't charge you again for the same type of work the next time.
I bought my wife's new Atomic Hawk Prime 105's from the Sport Den, watched them fit her boots and make her insoles. They did okay work but was not fully impressed. I still have not had my liners molded....

Funkendrenchman

Booting up
Skier
Is a Hawx Ultra 130 the same flex as a 120 with an extra bolt? Any reason to go with the 130 besides the cam strap?

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Is a Hawx Ultra 130 the same flex as a 120 with an extra bolt? Any reason to go with the 130 besides the cam strap?

The 130 has a stiffer shell material and stiffer cuff material. These are things that can't be changed by simply adding a bolt to back of the 120.

The bolts in the back change the feel of the boot's flex during the initial phase of the flex pattern. They don't make a boot that is too soft to begin with the right stiffness.

Miljack

Booting up
Skier
I just got some new Ultra 120 S that had both the shell and liner heat molded by a pro boot fitter, best fit I've ever had in a ski boot! I used Mike @ Southern Ski in Columbia, SC (I found him from a search here, thanks group!), he had a few specialized tools to heat the shell and liners separately. He also has a procedure he follows to get the forward lean correct given your calf size and boot size.
5 days in new boots last week and only a little adjustment I'd want in the right boot. Love 'em!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another thumbs up on this line of boots. I recently got a pair of the XTD 130s for in-area uphill skinning of one lap, then bombing around the area for a couple hours afterwards.

And I am liking them a LOT. More than my beloved Lange RX130s. I had preconceived notions that a boot with a walk mode would never really satisfy me for pure alpine skiing. I was wrong.

Score!

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I just got some new Ultra 120 S that had both the shell and liner heat molded by a pro boot fitter, best fit I've ever had in a ski boot! I used Mike @ Southern Ski in Columbia, SC (I found him from a search here, thanks group!), he had a few specialized tools to heat the shell and liners separately. He also has a procedure he follows to get the forward lean correct given your calf size and boot size.
5 days in new boots last week and only a little adjustment I'd want in the right boot. Love 'em!
huge +1 for Mike at Southern Ski, got the 19/20 Ultra 120S from him as well and his boot fitting expertise was evident. Anyone that makes their own tools to do the job correctly is worth the time, if you're in the SE - Carolinas, GA, TN - worth the road trip!

And dang it y'all now I am obsessing about the Mimic liner upgrade.

Sponsor