• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Introduces New All-Mountain Maverick and Maven

rooneykean

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You know I'm skeptical of carbon and no titanal. Curiosity peaked. I'm sure they'll be set up here at some point because they do every season. I'm all about that mid-80s to mid-90s width.
head kore :thumb:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, once upon a time, I was avid about Atomic (Crimsons, Rituals, Automatics, etc.)
Not so much, by now. Skeptical til for me they get one right, besides their race skis.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am glad to see Atomic put out this new ski. I have no idea how they ski, but their all mtn product lines did nothing for me. I do see a fair number of them on the hill, but I think its the lower priced models that sell on price, not performance. Hopefully this new ski takes off for them and skis really well. I am looking forward to demo'ing it in the future. It sounds like they put a lot of effort into developing it.

I have one comment to add, I am 99% sure that NO ski company uses pure titanium sheets in their skis. I did check, and it is made in sheets thin enough for skis, but most references to titanium are really mis-quotes of titanal, which is 85% aluminum, with some magnesium, copper, and zinc, and no titanium. There are metal sheets produced with a small percentage of titanium, so a ski manufacturer maybe using one of those. Here is something I found on the web that I believe is accurate info:

Though it sounds like “Titanium,” Titanal is actually an aluminum alloy that includes no Titanium. However, there are other metal laminates that do contain trace amounts of Titanium. When you read a product description that says a ski has a Titanium laminate, that actually means it has an aluminum alloy laminate with only a very small amount of Titanium in it.

Not sure what is in Atomic's new ski, but its a metal sheet and should behave like titanal which is the common metal sheet used in skis.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Ooo, metallurgy! That's a subject I can really get into (since I get paid for selecting materials of construction). I agree, @ScottB, I'm skeptical of titanal being liberally substituted for titanium in ski construction advertising. Especially since titanal has zero Ti in it. Plus, there are dozens of alloys of Ti, and some of them are more costly due to containing high zoot materials like Palladium. Golf club titanium alloys have vanadium and aluminum, and are usually cast rather than rolled. I wonder what the go-to Ti alloy would be for skis? Maybe race skis for WC deserve different Ti laminates?

I'm not here to badmouth Atomic. I ride on Automatics 102 and Vantage 90 Ti, both very good skis. The Vantages have a titanium mesh rather than a solid sheet. I would think a mesh would bond better than an entire flat sheet to the rest of the ski core. A flat laminate must require a very high pressure during the press to get it to bond tightly? I had a hot orange-colored Atomic RC ski delaminate on me in 1978, only time I've ever had a ski just flat out go "sproing!" along the entire ski.

Edge bevel discussions and Atomic skis go hand in hand. Nice to see an Atomic rep (@onenerdykid ) pop their head into the thread.

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bet that these are nice skis and would love to give a pair a try. However, I don’t find the marketing pitch very compelling. Lots of testers and lots of prototypes is a tired old story. And the titanium and omatic core smacks of Austrian BS. Atomic is not coming from a position of strength in this category. Volkl’s new Mantra along with the Kendo and Mantra 102, Blizzard’s bull boards, and all the high priced brands (Stockli, Kastle, et. al.) building off well-entrenched models with long sales histories make this a tough row to hoe.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you were a fan of the Ritual/Alibi era, then you will like these :golfclap:
I loved the Blog and the Atlas too. I'd probably enjoy those still, along with the only slightly dated Automatics.
Crimsons still work well too if tuned enough.

Geesh, fact is, I'd root for Atomic great new skis in a heartbeat, given the chance.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blister compared the Maverick favorably to the Stance 90/96 and Declivity 92 ti. They found the tail on the Maverick a little easier to release and gave it an edge (no pun intended) on the others in carving groomers.

I know some of the testers here have been enjoying the Declivity 92 ti. I can’t wait to hear the reviews on the Maverick.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
The skis look cool.

Watching the video made me laugh a little. I'd like to see a company come out and say they've made the perfect North East ski, cause if you can ski them there, you can ski them anywhere. To make it sound like CO has diverse conditions is kind of comical. What, from amazing to really amazing?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just skied my "old" Crimsons, and, man, that ski is still great, and so is the basic sideshape philosophy behind many Atomic skis.

I read the Blister review, and that looks promising also. So I'm curious to see if the Mavericks will be damp enough for me, being fairly lightweight.
(I'd still have my old Rituals, if newer skis hadn't been such an improvement in that regard - in rougher, moguled crud, for instance.)

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sooooo my local favorite store had the 2022 mavrick 100ti IN STOCK

they are light, like a bent chetler with metal and less turned up tail, underfoot/shovels seems more stiff vs BC100 as well, tails are very stiff, like the BC100

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just skied my "old" Crimsons, and, man, that ski is still great, and so is the basic sideshape philosophy behind many Atomic skis.

I read the Blister review, and that looks promising also. So I'm curious to see if the Mavericks will be damp enough for me, being fairly lightweight.
(I'd still have my old Rituals, if newer skis hadn't been such an improvement in that regard - in rougher, moguled crud, for instance.)

I also enjoyed the Nomad line. I had the Savage Ti for a few years and it was a very versatile ski that could still rip off quick groomer turns.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Be interested to hear comparisons/see cagematch between the Enforcer 94 and Maverick 95.

EDIT in a previous life I ran a orthopedic line that had a large number of titanium implants. I highly doubt the ski has pure Ti in it unless the price was astronomical.

What would be interesting is if a manufacturer looked into using nitinol. Started out as a material used in military, has some very unique properties that could be used to tune the feel and performance of skis. Though I’m not sure what the durability would be in this application. In vascular applications they can withstand vascular contraction for decades (though some can fail).

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_3672.JPG

We will be taking these out tomorrow.

Sponsor