• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Redster Club Sport 130 Review

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought this boot at the beginning of the 2020-2021 ski season and have used it all year. I followed the expert advice of @onenerdykid, Matt Manser (Atomic Ski Boot Product Manager), and was very pleased with the purchase. There aren't many reviews of this boot on the web, so I decided to put some time into a detailed review to show my appreciation to Matt for some great advice.

Club Sport 2_1.jpg
Club Sport 2_2.jpg
Club Sport 2_3.jpg
Club Sport 2_4.jpg
Club Sport 2_5.jpg
Club Sport 2_6.jpg
Club Sport 2_7.jpg
Club Sport 2_8.jpg
Club Sport 2_9.jpg
Club Sport 2_10.jpg
Club Sport 2_11.jpg
Club Sport 2_12.jpg
Club Sport 2_13.jpg
Club Sport 2_14.jpg

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bought this same boot last summer to use this past season. Best fitting boot I have found yet! I wear a 21.5--could use a true 21-- . I am about 90ish pounds and have found the 95 flex works great for me. I've gone through a few different models of Junior race boots with mediocre results as far as performance, likely due to them still being a tad too wide despite what their last measurements state. This boot is perfection for me. It had been suggested by a bootfitter in Oregon ( I live in Arizona ) I spent a few hours calling race shops around the country to get opinions on my boot needs, and this gentleman mentioned the Club Sport, which he said they did not sell anymore due to some issue regarding the flex inconsistency, or something like that. Not to be deterred I then tracked down a pair. I'd like to buy a back-up if anyone has my size available!!!!!!!!!

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@kimberlin, I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Manser (Atomic Ski Boot Manager) responds to your post and is following this thread. He definitely follows the Atomic ski boot thread and responds there if you want to post there too. He will not know about stock levels in US stores, but he can suggest what the equivalent 2021 or 2022 model of your boot is that would not be hard to find. You can also special order a new model through any Atomic shop to get the size you want shipped from the factory warehouse in Europe.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I bought this same boot last summer to use this past season. Best fitting boot I have found yet! I wear a 21.5--could use a true 21-- . I am about 90ish pounds and have found the 95 flex works great for me. I've gone through a few different models of Junior race boots with mediocre results as far as performance, likely due to them still being a tad too wide despite what their last measurements state. This boot is perfection for me. It had been suggested by a bootfitter in Oregon ( I live in Arizona ) I spent a few hours calling race shops around the country to get opinions on my boot needs, and this gentleman mentioned the Club Sport, which he said they did not sell anymore due to some issue regarding the flex inconsistency, or something like that. Not to be deterred I then tracked down a pair. I'd like to buy a back-up if anyone has my size available!!!!!!!!!

Hi kimberlin, for the 21/22 season we will offer the Redster CS 110 & 70 in a true 21/21.5. No more 90 flex unfortunately. But, it is relatively easy for a competent boot-fitter to soften the 110 down to a 100/90 for you.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
That is encouraging @onenerdykid . In what manner would this boot be softened?
Fabric softener and a commercial laundry drier. They have very advanced plastics... (just kidding)

The lower shell (clog) of the boot can be cut to allow the upper cuff to move more. It is something that is done very often with race boots like this. (not kidding)

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are several things you can do, but the most effective is what mike said to do. See my post above if you want to see a before and after picture.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@kimberlin remember, 90 is not 90 is not 90. There is little consistency between flexes not only from brand to brand but model to model when it comes to flexes. As I have said, there is no independent lab that certifies boot flexes. Fit the boot to the foot, flex and ski it then adjust the flex. You might be surprised, that "110" that fits your foot might flex fine when you ski it.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
@kimberlin remember, 90 is not 90 is not 90. There is little consistency between flexes not only from brand to brand but model to model when it comes to flexes. As I have said, there is no independent lab that certifies boot flexes. Fit the boot to the foot, flex and ski it then adjust the flex. You might be surprised, that "110" that fits your foot might flex fine when you ski it.
Exactly.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

In addition to an initial shop flex, what client feedback do fitters use to help dial in the flex?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB astoundingly good review. Based on this and a lot of your comments on the other Atomic boot threads, I cancelled my (horribly delayed) Pro liner order for my Hawx Ultra 130S and went all-in on the CS 130 Professional for next fall.

You mentioned people moving to a narrower boot who need length but less volume, and that is me and the Hawx so I'm stoked.

So thanks! Beers on me if you ever get out to Whitefish MT.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Listen to the blister/atomic podcast on them btw!

I do feel @ScottB review hasn't gotten the traction/response it deserves though, but given some time I think it will.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
ScottB,
I was wondering what size your Langes were? Thank you for a fantastic review. A new career, perhaps?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the kind words. Both my Langes and CS are 29.5

Scott, did you have any work done on the RS 130s? I am trying to figure out how smooth the transition would be for me from RS 130 to CS 130 as there is 1 mm difference between the two and I have only very minimal work done on my Langes.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shouldn't be too bad. I did zero work to my Langes, actually needed a higher volume liner. The CS are narrower, but fit my foot much better. In the CS I have a bonny styloid process bump that needed a punch. That was it. I softened the flex on both boots by cutting the shell V notch

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Btw scott, maybe replace the screenshots with actual text? not sure a search engine will index this properly and give hits?

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I typed the review in a WORD document and couldn't paste it into the reply block without it loosing all the formatting. I could use some advise on how to get WORD doc's into the reply block?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I typed the review in a WORD document and couldn't paste it into the reply block without it loosing all the formatting. I could use some advise on how to get WORD doc's into the reply block?

Select the entire text of the document.

Copy it.

Paste it into the reply block.

Sponsor

Staff online