• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Redster Club Sport 130 Review

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Or possibly try copying it to Docs. And then copy it to Ski Talk? Not too many Word users anymore.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
I am considering to buy a pair of CS130 next to my new STI 150. I can ski the STIs with my zipfit comfortably enough in training sessions. However the fit is so tight that my feet become numb and cold after a few hours, so skiing them for whole days is not so enjoyable. Therefore, thinking to add a pair of CS130, for improved comfort and warmth, while retaining near race boot performance. Alternatively, I could repurpose my old Atomic FIS 150 plug race boot, which has a 95mm last like the CS, and just soften the flex a bit by cutting the shells. What does the forum think is the better option?

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the CS130 and feel its a perfect all around, all day high performance boot. It fits my narrow feet extremely well, which really helps. Its flex and liner is what sets it apart to me. I tried on the WC130 (discontinued boot that the Ti replaced) and it was just too stiff for my tastes everywhere. My sense was cutting down its shell would help in forward flex, but the rest of the boot would "WC" or race course stiff. The CS has some give to its plastic in all aspects, which helps in moguls and rough terrain. The other aspect is the liner. The WC boot had a very thin liner that really let you feel the boot. That is not in the direction of comfort. The CS has a very dense and firm liner, that is much more isolating (from shock) but still very precise and quite comfortable. I find the boot reasonably warm for its class of boot. Here are my thoughts in order of preference:

1. Buy new CS130 on sale
2. Heat mold your STI 150 to loosen fit (better for all day, worse for training and racing)
3. Soften (cut) your FIS 150. (I suggest a new liner if you go this route)

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
@ScottB do you have any experience with S/Max130 and how it compares to CS130? These boots seem conceptually similar.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No I do not. I have only skied Langes and Atomics in the last 20 years. I did try on a Technica (orange boot, 130 flex) that felt pretty good on my foot, but never skied it. The only Salomon boot I have been in is their touring boot, I forget the name, but 120 flex rated. I like it and my decision came down to Atomic Hawx XTD 130 and the Salomon boot, went with Atomic due to better fit and a little stiffer boot.

abdul

Putting on skis
Skier
@ScottB do you have any experience with S/Max130 and how it compares to CS130? These boots seem conceptually similar.
A bit late but... I skied in the XMax 130 (about 6 year old model, 96mm) with zipfits. When replacing them, I tried on the SMax 130 and that boot felt like too roomy compared to the Xmax (which it should as a 98mm shell vs. 96mm). It also felt less solid compared to the XMax 130 when flexing, and the shell interior didn't feel very anatomical e.g. more of a bucket. I just didnt click with the SMax 130 when trying it on.

By comparison, the CS130 felt great compared to the Smax 130 (tight fit, better and stiffer flex to the boot, good solid beefy shell without being a brick). Compared to my old Xmax 130, the CS has a significantly tighter shell fit even though they were both "96"mm. I couldn't fit my old zipfits into the CS130 and started using the new Gara LV in the CS 130 (which only just fits).

Conceptually i think they're very different boots. The CS130 is a thicker and heavier shell, feels like it has more forward lean and a more aggressive stance, feels stiffer, skis closer to a plug boot, and the 96mm width is significantly narrower than the SMax 130 98mm. I also like the amount of plastic you can grind ((or punch) in the CS130. Even though I didn't ski the SMax 130, it skis better than my old XMax 130 (which was burlier than the SMax 130).

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
A bit late but... I skied in the XMax 130 (about 6 year old model, 96mm) with zipfits. When replacing them, I tried on the SMax 130 and that boot felt like too roomy compared to the Xmax (which it should as a 98mm shell vs. 96mm). It also felt less solid compared to the XMax 130 when flexing, and the shell interior didn't feel very anatomical e.g. more of a bucket. I just didnt click with the SMax 130 when trying it on.

By comparison, the CS130 felt great compared to the Smax 130 (tight fit, better and stiffer flex to the boot, good solid beefy shell without being a brick). Compared to my old Xmax 130, the CS has a significantly tighter shell fit even though they were both "96"mm. I couldn't fit my old zipfits into the CS130 and started using the new Gara LV in the CS 130 (which only just fits).

Conceptually i think they're very different boots. The CS130 is a thicker and heavier shell, feels like it has more forward lean and a more aggressive stance, feels stiffer, skis closer to a plug boot, and the 96mm width is significantly narrower than the SMax 130 98mm. I also like the amount of plastic you can grind ((or punch) in the CS130. Even though I didn't ski the SMax 130, it skis better than my old XMax 130 (which was burlier than the SMax 130).
I went with the cs130, to supplement my sti 150. Love the CS, my ZipFit Gara's fit fine after heat molding the shells. This combo is comfortable enough for all day skiing and race enough for gates training. The Gara does not fit my STI shells even with heat molding there are limits!

paulr79

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I bought this same boot last summer to use this past season. Best fitting boot I have found yet! I wear a 21.5--could use a true 21-- . I am about 90ish pounds and have found the 95 flex works great for me. I've gone through a few different models of Junior race boots with mediocre results as far as performance, likely due to them still being a tad too wide despite what their last measurements state. This boot is perfection for me. It had been suggested by a bootfitter in Oregon ( I live in Arizona ) I spent a few hours calling race shops around the country to get opinions on my boot needs, and this gentleman mentioned the Club Sport, which he said they did not sell anymore due to some issue regarding the flex inconsistency, or something like that. Not to be deterred I then tracked down a pair. I'd like to buy a back-up if anyone has my size available!!!!!!!!!
Hi @kimberlin. My adult daughter is also a true size 21 and having a heck of a time finding a boot to fit her. Even though the CS 110 is listed on Atomic's website in size 21/21.5 we can't find a store that actually stocks it. Where did you find your boots? Thanks, Paul.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @kimberlin. My adult daughter is also a true size 21 and having a heck of a time finding a boot to fit her. Even though the CS 110 is listed on Atomic's website in size 21/21.5 we can't find a store that actually stocks it. Where did you find your boots? Thanks, Paul.

Not many retailers stock 21.0/21.5 adult boots.
For smaller size adult boots, we usually custom order them late season. October fitting. Currently, we have couple pairs of STI on order for October fitting.

paulr79

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Not many retailers stock 21.0/21.5 adult boots.
For smaller size adult boots, we usually custom order them late season. October fitting. Currently, we have couple pairs of STI on order for October fitting.
Thanks for the reply. Are you a retailer or where do you place your order? Thanks.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the reply. Are you a retailer or where do you place your order? Thanks.

No, not a retailer. Just a short fat old guy that ski a lot.
The shop I frequent is Startingate in Bondville, VT (Stratton). Ask for Chance or Nick.