• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic X9s vs X9 WB

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
Anyone with experience with both care to comment on the differences?
I've read the WBs are not simply a wider version of the X9s and are quite a different ski despite being in the X9 line.
If so, how are they different in the way they ski?

I demoed the X9 WB version this past season and it blew me away. What a ski!
The hold and stability are both out of this world. I even skied it in a length I'm usually not fully comfortable with,
and I still had a blast. Unfortunately, I couldn't source an X9s to try it out.

So... I've decided to get a pair for next season. But now I'm wondering if the X9s is an even better version of the WB,
with all the same traits and level of fun I loved about the X9 WB.
For reference, I ski groomers like... 100% of the time... ogsmile so the extra versatility of the WB is not really a major factor for me.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Besides the obvious differences (width, radius, etc.) these are very different in character too. The X9 is quite an aggressive, precise and direct carving machine. Not very forgiving, but stable and grippy as hell. The X9 WB, on the other hand, is quite forgiving, pivotty, playful even. Still stable and with adequate edge grip on really hard snow, but nothing like the X9.
The WB is a very nice all-round groomer ski for intermediates and up; the X9 is for the technically advanced skiers that can deliver precise input every turn, all day long (advanced and up).

TS
SkiSVLikeAgassi

SkiSVLikeAgassi

Skier
Okay, thanks. That's what I figured. I read some WB reviews (here in the US) after skiing it and was very surprised
to find that many of them consider the WB version more suitable for advanced and expert skiers.
That was hardly my experience. Found it to be very tame, friendly and playful.

The X9s sounds more appealing to me, but I hesitate not having skied it before...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If your avatar is a picture of you and you ski Sun Valley...I'd lean to the X9 especially since you say you aren't looking for versatility.

TS
SkiSVLikeAgassi

SkiSVLikeAgassi

Skier
If your avatar is a picture of you and you ski Sun Valley...I'd lean to the X9 especially since you say you aren't looking for versatility.

I wish. That's what I aspire to. My posterior is still ~10 inches off the snow.
Hoping the X9s will get me there quicker though... :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So how many skis did you try in the last year? Last five years?

If the answer is "a bunch," then you've found your ski with the WB. Don't overthink it.

If the answer is "a couple," then maybe try a couple more before you buy.

Reactions: mdf

gamiller7

Booting up
Skier
Next year the x9s and the x9 WB will not be available in the US. Atomic will only bring the x9i and x9i WB revoshocks.

I have skied the x9i revoshock in 174- it is a very smooth, easy to ski carver - but it lacks the power of the X9s. The caruba wood core is light and fairly lively, but it does not have the rebound of the power woodcore and FIS construction of the x9s. When I am on carvers, I prefer that athletic experience. Actually traded the x9i revo for a servotec x9s since the new one will not be available in the US...

Europe gets the opposite....

TS
SkiSVLikeAgassi

SkiSVLikeAgassi

Skier
Next year the x9s and the x9 WB will not be available in the US. Atomic will only bring the x9i and x9i WB revoshocks.

I have skied the x9i revoshock in 174- it is a very smooth, easy to ski carver - but it lacks the power of the X9s. The caruba wood core is light and fairly lively, but it does not have the rebound of the power woodcore and FIS construction of the x9s. When I am on carvers, I prefer that athletic experience. Actually traded the x9i revo for a servotec x9s since the new one will not be available in the US...

Europe gets the opposite....

Thanks. That actually makes my decision somewhat harder, as it brings more variables into the equation.
Where can one find more info on the US bound 2022 X9i Revoshock?
Can't seem to find much online (other than Japanese websites/videos), not even a press release.
Somewhat surprised...

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The hold and stability are both out of this world. I even skied it in a length I'm usually not fully comfortable with,
and I still had a blast.

So... I've decided to get a pair for next season. But now I'm wondering...
Welcome to SkiTalk, you are going to love it here.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you're that focused on on-groomer carving and not afraid of a ski rewarding precision, can I ask why you wouldn't go right to a (retail) G9 or S9, or maybe even the S9 FIS?

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
If you're that focused on on-groomer carving and not afraid of a ski rewarding precision, can I ask why you wouldn't go right to a (retail) G9 or S9, or maybe even the S9 FIS?
Perhaps the medium radius of the X9? Also, the X9 has a slightly different character than the G9 or the S9.

Another contender might be the Fischer RC4 Worldcup CT...

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perhaps the medium radius of the X9? Also, the X9 has a slightly different character than the G9 or the S9.

Another contender might be the Fischer RC4 Worldcup CT...
The retail G9 has a radius of 18.4m in the 177, which I'd still consider very much a medium radius; the S9 FIS is admittedly on the short end at 12.5m but is so stable that it skis quite well in medium-radius turns. The RS and FIS version of the G9 are another story in terms of turn radius.

Last winter, my quiver included the X9 WB, the retail S9, the S9 FIS and the G9 FIS. I also borrow another coach's retail G9s a couple of times. I'd call the retail G9 the best all-around groomer ski of the bunch if you don't want to ski with the commitment level the FIS skis like; the WB does better in mixed surface conditions but if you A/B test vs one of the narrower skis, you can feel the width. All IMO, of course.

TS
SkiSVLikeAgassi

SkiSVLikeAgassi

Skier

I'm already adding an S9 (non FIS) to my quiver for next season
(replacing the thrashed one I have which has served me well over three seasons).
Since I tend to ski bell to bell on most days, I want something a little friendlier on the thighs.
The S9 fits the bill on those shorter days (and for NASTAR duties) wonderfully.
But I totally agree, if I could ski it all day, I would. My daily carver is a SL ski (Stockli Laser SC).

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm already adding an S9 (non FIS) to my quiver for next season
(replacing the thrashed one I have which has served me well over three seasons).
Since I tend to ski bell to bell on most days, I want something a little friendlier on the thighs.
The S9 fits the bill on those shorter days (and for NASTAR duties) wonderfully.
But I totally agree, if I could ski it all day, I would. My daily carver is a SL ski (Stöckli Laser SC).
The G9 (retail) is IMO, an excellent, friendlier ski for that type of use, and that's exactly why (pending spousal budgetary approval) I'm planning to replace my X9 WBs with G9s next year. While the WBs are better in unsupportive snow (both smaller amounts of fresh and grooming that didn't set up properly and breaks away underfoot), the G9s will let me freeski GS turns without the commitment level of the G9 FIS (which is an awesome ski, as long as you have the technical skills, fitness, and hillspace to commit to it).

As you noted, attempting to ski slalom turns all day is a serious workout; I generally figure I have about three 1500-foot-vertical nonstops in me before I need to either take breaks or back off the skiing, while I can do at least twice that at GS radius on a non-FIS ski. I'm expecting the G9 will be a better rip-around-on-hard snow ski, with the expectation that I'll pull out my Bent Chet 100s if the snow is soft or we're planning to leave the groomers.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Both excellent skis, but while the WB is another great example of a wide carver, the regular X9 is truly special (and I mean the good kind of special).

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
At 75 mm underfoot, I wouldn't call the X9 WB a 'wide carver'. 75 mm is quite average in width for groomer/carving skis. Völkl Deacon 84 or Salomon S/Force Bold - those are skis I would call wide carvers.

Sponsor