• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Attention Luddites: No More Mech Dura-Ace!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who would buy an $8k bike. But maybe that's another issue...

Well, since you pretty much can't find one in stock, I'd say lots of folks?

Maybe the same kind of person that buys Stockli and Kastle and Kjus?

Different strokes......

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Every time Specialized comes out with a more expensive bike they seem to sell out faster.

My bigger concern is that post pandemic a 105 level bike will be over $3000.

The production runs are also small, so it is not apples to apples. Some bikes only see 100 units, worldwide.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The production runs are also small, so it is not apples to apples. Some bikes only see 100 units, worldwide.

This is especially the case at the high end where the frames are often made for the sponsored pro teams and UCI rules state that any product used in a race needs to be available to the public within a year of initial use. Small production runs of these things are the norm.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Given all the talk about electronic shifting vis-a-vis mechanical, there's been not a peep about Rotor's all hydraulic groupset.

I've had a chance to try it and it shifts just as nicely as any electronic setup, without the need for charging or the EMP concerns. Sure, there's a lot of hydraulic lines to keep track of in the mix but it's a nice setup, all the same (and adapts really well to bikes that were initially configured for mechanical cable runs).

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This is especially the case at the high end where the frames are often made for the sponsored pro teams and UCI rules state that any product used in a race needs to be available to the public within a year of initial use. Small production runs of these things are the norm.

With COVID I was extremely fortunate to snag this one. Unfortunately, due to injury, it only has 4 rides on it, while I rely more on my bikes which are my "training appliances".

1C501E9D-41E2-4A24-90A8-1F713C4EE150.jpeg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Given all the talk about electronic shifting vis-a-vis mechanical, there's been not a peep about Rotor's all hydraulic groupset.

I've had a chance to try it and it shifts just as nicely as any electronic setup, without the need for charging or the EMP concerns. Sure, there's a lot of hydraulic lines to keep track of in the mix but it's a nice setup, all the same (and adapts really well to bikes that were initially configured for mechanical cable runs).

With Shimano controlling 90% of market share world wide, it is an extremely, extremely tough environment for any start-up. I an an investor and business mentor for a regional start-up incubator. Occasionally, someone will come along with a new cycling widget that they are seeking funding for. It is always a total non-starter. To many obstacles for them to get to scale.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm waiting for gripwalk compatible electronic locking cleats! Now there's a combo of spuriousness we all desperately need! :roflmao:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm waiting for gripwalk compatible electronic locking cleats! Now there's a combo of spuriousness we all desperately need! :roflmao:
Amer was working on that from the old Neo EMB binding but it was WTR and was stillborn. ;)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

The best way to bring that to market...,, engineer an exceptional design, budget $500k for IP attorneys, license the technology to Shimano, pray that your royalty checks exceed your initial investment.