• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Attention Luddites: No More Mech Dura-Ace!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I watched the highlights..couldn't get the whole thing..wouldn't have the time anyway..

That is one event where I really want to watch the whole thing. It is just so completely different from a regular bike race.

In a lot of ways, the womens' race was underserved by starting coverage late in the day.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Out of curiosity, did anyone in this thread watch Paris-Roubaix? And count the number of Di2 riders who had to call a team car because their mechs went into recovery mode?

I did but I did not count it. Too mesmerised by the fight at the top.
But whatever number you say I won't be surprised, this edition was BRUTAL!
I doubt Colbrelli's own mother could recognise him at the finish.

Mech for the win, is what I am saying! :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: Well, on days like that at least.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They actually have YouTube vids on how to reset it on the road....

Now...imagine...just imagine for a second....Mark Cavendish approaching the last 200 m at the last stage of TdF...he drafts his last lead out man-say Morkov...he is shoulder to shoulder with Peter Sagan on one side, Sam Bennet on the other and Caleb Ewan lurking close behind.
I want you to imagine what will happen if his Di2 says: Reset now!

Man, I'd pay A LOT of money to watch this.

:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Guess we are approaching the point where you have to resort to lower grade bindings for a somewhat affordable group set.

I am just not ready or willing to shell out such an amount of cash for electronic shifting - the solution to a problem which simply does not exist!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Guess we are approaching the point where you have to resort to lower grade bindings for a somewhat affordable group set.

I am just not ready or willing to shell out such an amount of cash for electronic shifting - the solution to a problem which simply does not exist!

Are you referring to DA (how this thread got started) or to the new all-electronic Ultegra?

Honestly, I will probably do Di2 Ultegra in the next couple of years, so long as I can put it on a rim-brake 2x frame.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Now...imagine...just imagine for a second....Mark Cavendish approaching the last 200 m at the last stage of TdF...he drafts his last lead out man-say Morkov...he is shoulder to shoulder with Peter Sagan on one side, Sam Bennet on the other and Caleb Ewan lurking close behind.
I want you to imagine what will happen if his Di2 says: Reset now!

Man, I'd pay A LOT of money to watch this.

:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:
First he'd punch the Shimano tech..then he'd throw his bike at a small child..then he'd cry and say he's just emotional after all the hard work (that apparently nobody else does..just him..), then he'd have a come-to-Jesus moment where he contemplates leaving the sport.. Then he'd be back again because, well, he's the man. Or something like that! :)

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, I will probably do Di2 Ultegra in the next couple of years, so long as I can put it on a rim-brake 2x frame.

At the current state of disk brake refinement, the engineer left in me is appalled at the idea of using a -- probably expensive -- rim as a wear surface!

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Are you referring to DA (how this thread got started) or to the new all-electronic Ultegra?

Both - unless electronic group sets become a lot cheaper than they are today. Looking at all kind of road and gravel bikes these days it's the electronic shifting that makes up for a major amount of the price tag.

That said: all of my friends using electronic shifters say they don't wanna go back to mechanical shifting.

Referring to the rim brakes are you serious? I am not aware that today's DI2s are even compatible with such.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Both - unless electronic group sets become a lot cheaper than they are today. Looking at all kind of road and gravel bikes these days it's the electronic shifting that makes up for a major amount of the price tag.

That said: all of my friends using electronic shifters say they don't wanna go back to mechanical shifting.

Referring to the rim brakes are you serious? I am not aware that today's DI2s are even compatible with such.
I have a 3 year old electronic Cannondale eTap but just went back to Mechanical Giant TCR. I, for one, would choose Mechanical any day(at least so far)

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great bike that. I have put like 4000 km this year on mine, can't fault it.

Which one you got?
TCR Advanced Pro 1 disc. Mechanical Ultegra. Yes, I've only had 2 months and I rotate between it and my Cannondale Synapse. I like the Giant slightly more but I use the Synapse when I'm doing more "relaxed" riding and the Giant when I'm expecting a "faster" pace

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

The R9200 Dura-Ace and R8100 Ultegra both support rim brakes - they're an option for both groups.

Given there are a lot of frames out there - many high end ones, at that - that only support rim brakes, Shimano is smart to support them in the new groupsets. People will upgrade components on a nice frame, so keeping a rim option is super smart business.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
The R9200 Dura-Ace and R8100 Ultegra both support rim brakes - they're an option for both groups.

Given there are a lot of frames out there - many high end ones, at that - that only support rim brakes, Shimano is smart to support them in the new groupsets. People will upgrade components on a nice frame, so keeping a rim option is super smart business.

I would agree with the smart business part. Also I admit I like the disk brakes better in the wet, else I wouldn't care.

Sponsor