Audio Chips, worth it?

TS
G

GreenAthlete49

Booting up
Skier
Convinced based on the above three reviews...moving to wireless. I literally replace one a year and at this point given the longevity of the wireless, I could have saved by now.
Same here. The Jabra Elite earbuds I have for working while traveling were OK last year but having these sound like they'll be a much better experience and easier to manage once they are in for the day.

Gina D

Booting up
Skier
I bought my Smith Outdoor Tech Chips in November of 2017 and they're still working great. This will be my 6th season with them.

As others have said in reviews if you install them in the opposite ears from where they're supposed to be installed in Smith helmets, it's easier to get to the one with the charging jack.

motogreg

Getting off the lift
Skier
love mine, game changer if only for phone calls to keep track of family on the hill. Edit: design could be improved by a charging pigtail.....

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Chips wishlist:

I wish the Walkie Talkie function worked

50mm drivers (current is 40mm) - Improved bass response and better quality sound at lower volumes

An accessory that incorporates normal function but combines bone conduction into the current audio profile.

Bring back the "Rewind:" option

Slight contouring rather than totally flat to better accommodate the ear

Lorenzzo

Still Waiting on Pow
Skier
I have a set of Chips and have used them off and on for a couple of seasons. If you’re focused on audio quality, I’d suggest trying them in your particular helmet before buying, if possible. I’ve found at least in my several Prets that the attenuation of the speakers from one’s ears as a result of the nature of the helmet pockets leads to not the greatest sound quality.

If you‘re ok with music being more background and balanced with outside noise they may be fine for you. If you’re looking for really good immersive sound, go with some noise cancelling earbuds. If I need the background noise I use the Chips. If I’m going for move my soul kind of sound, it’s the earbuds.

There are a lot of good buds on the market (ear not herb). Certain ones can receive calls, adjust volume and skip tracks without going to your phone. The downsides are cost, they’re generally a lot more expensive and risk of having them fall out. The latter issue can be mitigated by picking the right ones for your ears.

CanadaRockyMtnSnow

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have been very happy with the Konnect Adventure Headphone.

Very compact size, so there is no concerns with them hurting your ears.
24 hour battery life, which is double of most others. For me, that means charging every 3 weeks or so.

Best part though is the external button remote and charging port (3BR).
Much easier way to press buttons, and charge the headphone from the outside of the helmet

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
I have Outdoor Chips, total wireless. I keep them low on the lift for background music. Once skiing it's low enough that I can't hear it but I can hear what's going on around me. If it's a slow day on the slope I'll bump the volume up to hear the music while skiing. Busy days, either off or super low.

I had the 2.0 version for 3 years, never had a problem with it! Upgraded to 3.0 , fully wireless.
Use it about the same way as Andy.
Not getting an audiophile sound, but still decent sound.Recommend.
Great to have music when the slopes are quiet! IMHO.

Amazon running sale on 2.0 for $ 89.