• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aug 2022 Bike Ride on the GAP trail by the Youghiogheny

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Today (18 Aug 2022) I took at beautiful 22 mile bike ride on the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) rail-trail in Western PA with @Laurel Hill Crazie and his ski instructor buddy Marcus. Weather was sunny and about 70 degs. Gorgeous day! After the ride we took a little stroll around the town of Ohiopyle, PA and had a late lunch there.
We started the ride by the old train station in Ohiopyle.
train station 18 aug.jpg

L-R. Laurel Hill Crazie, Marcus, moi, below us is the Youghiogheny River, "Yough" for short. It's pronounced Yuck, but it's actually quite pretty.
trio near ohiopyle yough river 18 aug 2022.jpg

There was not much trail traffic, but we saw a few e-bikers.
ebike 18 aug.jpg

Another view of the Youghiogheny River (Yuck-oh-gainy), this is near the town of Confluence, our turn around point.
yough.jpg

Cyclists left, rafters right! The Youghiogheny is a popular river for rafting and kayaking.
bikers left rafter right 18 aug.jpg

The Ohiopyle Falls on the Youghiogheny River.
ohiopyle falls 18 aug.jpg

Enjoyed riding with these guys, long time ski buddies. My first time seeing them since the pandemic:golfclap:

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I rafted the "Yough" during very fast water, class 6 rapids. What normally is a 6 hour ride was a little over two.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
That was a great day to ride. The tropical humidity finally broke and gave us a pleasant day. We went from Ohiopyle to Confluence, where the Yough, Casselman, and Laurel Hill Creek meet. That stretch of the Yough is pretty tame for rafting/kayaking. The ride that Phil did begins downstream just below the falls. Once a year, the falls are open to kayakers willing to take the plunge. Needless to say, the weekend becomes a big spectator party.

1660910738253.png

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Thanks for sharing this ride! Your summer bike rides always pull me into joining a future trip. Western Pa. mountains, small by most SkiTalk members, are sonic, the trails are fine rides, do-able without mountain bikes.

My memories of rafting on the Yough in May, during the peak water release flows, was perhaps the wettest day of my life. Poured rain all day long, long before modern gore tex rain repellent gear. Went for an unexpected swim in the middle on one rapid. Rapids were fun, but, the last 90 minutes to the exit point were boring, wet and cold. Also visited Frank Loyd Wrights "Fallingwater" house, magnificent product of a magnificent mind.

Sponsor

Staff online