• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Availability of 2021 Atomic Hawx Ultra 130S

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Is the Mimic Pro liner only sold with the 130 flex? Will the combo be available in online retail? Specifically wondering about BC.com.

Correct - for this year, the complete boots are limited to the 130 flex for men and 115 flex for women

The complete boots and liners will not be available for online sales- select Atomic retailers only.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
I listened to the podcast yesterday. Really interesting stuff. I did not, however, quite understand the 25% increase in “stability.” If this means stiffness, then isn’t the 2022 boot more like a 140 as compared to this years boot? Or is the flex profile retained but the boot is less likely to collapse at the end of the flex range?

In terms of fit, the mimic professional liner is really intriguing to me. On the mondo chart my foot is a hair over 26.5 and my L foot measures in at 99mm and my right at 97. I typically find that boots that are nice and snug on my left foot are a little loose on my right and I usually crank the buckle above my R ankle a little tighter than on the L. Sound like this liner would take up that little bit of extra volume on my R foot.
Finally was the $850 the price noted above for regular 130 or the 130 Proffessional?

Glad you enjoyed the podcast! The flex is how you describe it in your last sentence. The flex of the boot is not stiffer in all regards- it retains a supple initial flex but greatly resists bellowing out, especially at the end of its flex range when the original boot would collapse for some skiers.

With a Mimic Professional liner, you will get exactly the fit you need per foot, which will definitely help you out. The $850 price is for the 130 Professional, the regular 130 S holds its current price point.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Glad you enjoyed the podcast! The flex is how you describe it in your last sentence. The flex of the boot is not stiffer in all regards- it retains a supple initial flex but greatly resists bellowing out, especially at the end of its flex range when the original boot would collapse for some skiers.

With a Mimic Professional liner, you will get exactly the fit you need per foot, which will definitely help you out. The $850 price is for the 130 Professional, the regular 130 S holds its current price point.

One other question, out of curiosity. What does Atomic expect the lifespan to be of the Professional liner or any of their high end liners?
Thanks
-Chris

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
One other question, out of curiosity. What does Atomic expect the lifespan to be of the Professional liner or any of their high end liners?
Thanks
-Chris
Hard to exactly say, but I've got racers going on two season with the same liner so far and they aren't complaining. In our compression tests, the foam we use resists compression by 2-3 times compared to normal foams that we would use in regular liners. But, those are just lab tests so take that how you want. So far, it looks like they will outlast a shell.

Funkendrenchman

Booting up
Skier
What will be the suggested method of molding? Heat Mimic, then foam, then shell? Or should the shell mold come before the foam?

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
What will be the suggested method of molding? Heat Mimic, then foam, then shell? Or should the shell mold come before the foam?
It always depends on what you need.

If your foot is wider than the shell, then you need to expand the shell (stretch and/or grind) where needed before fitting the liner. Memory Fit isn't going to be the preferred way to modify the shell in this situation, but that is ok. Anyone looking at Mimic Professional should favor taking their time vs. a quick fix.

If your foot is a good match for the shell, then proceed with fitting the liner.

In general, you make sure the shell is dialed before fitting the liner. You can still make adjustments to the shell after the liner has been made, that won't be an issue. But, you should just have the obvious red flags attended to before you fit the liner.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@onenerdykid do you by chance have a link to somewhere with pics and descriptions of the new Hawx Ultra 130 S?

Or maybe @Philpug has an article or thread like that in the works?

Thanks!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious if the shell is different between the Professional model and the non-pro model?? Is the answer different for the different boots models?

TS
J

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
@onenerdykid do you by chance have a link to somewhere with pics and descriptions of the new Hawx Ultra 130 S?

Or maybe @Philpug has an article or thread like that in the works?

Thanks!
Over on the blisterreview site there is a lengthy podcast (hour +) with Nerdy kid discussing the new boot with a photo of the boot, strap and liner

Sponsor

Staff online