• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Availability of 2021 Atomic Hawx Ultra 130S

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
I've been looking for this boot in Southern NH and am coming up empty in size 26.5. I've called a half a dozen shops with no luck. I've tried on the 120s and expect they fit the same, but would much prefer to buy from a localish shop than ordering online and taking them to a shop for fitting (and molding the Mimic liner). Hoping one of the bootfitters on here has some in stock. Or perhaps the Atomic rep who posts here knows whether they can still be special ordered by a shop or if I will really need to wait until next year.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Have the shops tried to call Ogden and see what is available in the warehouse? My guess is that the 130 is sold out. Global availability is very limited this year due to Covid wreaking havoc on supply chains and, despite this, USA & Canada are selling more boots than ever. But if everything is sold out and you need to wait until next year, it might not be a bad thing...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have the shops tried to call Ogden and see what is available in the warehouse? My guess is that the 130 is sold out. Global availability is very limited this year due to Covid wreaking havoc on supply chains and, despite this, USA & Canada are selling more boots than ever. But if everything is sold out and you need to wait until next year, it might not be a bad thing...

I've been running into the same difficulty with size 29 to complement my XTDs. Mostly, I have a fair number of skis with bindings that only accept standard alpine soles.

But also, RED!

I am now officially waiting for the 2022 version. Thanks!

TS
J

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
Shops have said they cannot order more, so I expect they called Ogden. As for 2022, your wait until next year sounds interesting. I now you can't divulge details, but anything planned in addition to the new power strap?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe the 2022 versions are dropping tomorrow.

Color me very interested (I've actually got a pair of the pure alpine "S" versions on verbal pre-order).

Red, of course. The fastest color!

Apologies for the cross-posting. Wasn't sure which thread to post in.

TS
J

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
I believe the 2022 versions are dropping tomorrow.

Color me very interested (I've actually got a pair of the pure alpine "S" versions on verbal pre-order).

Red, of course. The fastest color!

Apologies for the cross-posting. Wasn't sure which thread to post in.
Hmmm . . . very interested in what 2021-2022 will bring for these boots.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
All new Hawx Ultra mold series for 21/22 season. Retains the same fit and customization potential of current Hawx Ultra, but sees a substantial 25% boost in shell & cuff stability (less bellowing, more solid skiing). Lives in the same price points and flexes as current Hawx Ultra.

Living above the current Hawx Ultra is the Hawx Ultra 130 Professional (part of our Professional Series, which includes Redster and Hawx Prime boots as well). These boots feature our new Mimic Professional liner (which is a combination of our heat-moldable Mimic technology and our Redster foam technology) and our elastic Professional Dual Strap. We wanted to build the best boots possible and not cut any corners whatsoever. The Mimic Professional liners (Redster CS-TI-STI, Hawx Ultra, and Hawx Prime compatible) and elastic Professional Dual Straps will be available aftermarket as well.

I hate to direct traffic elsewhere, but we just dropped a podcast on it over at Blister that really goes into detail. I will definitely answer any questions here though for fellow SkiTalkers.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All new Hawx Ultra mold series for 21/22 season. ........I hate to direct traffic elsewhere, but we just dropped a podcast on it over at Blister that really goes into detail. I will definitely answer any questions here though for fellow SkiTalkers.

I tried, I really tried to get through the Blister podcast, but, sorry here, cue Steve Martin: Ramblin man, oh ramblin.........

I did hear a bunch of what I was hoping for -- a bit stiffer, keeps progressive flex, better damping but still on the lively side -- but I'd take more details.

Also, the podcast pictures were really lousy! ;)

But bonus points for the reference to It's Always Sunny in Philly. "Of course I'm using my back!"

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@onenerdykid
I’ve made it through most of the podcast, finish tomorrow. Will the xtd line be getting similar changes?? Like the stiffening( was that latitude or longitude)?

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid
I’ve made it through most of the podcast, finish tomorrow. Will the xtd line be getting similar changes?? Like the stiffening( was that latitude or longitude)?
Ultra XTD is a separate mold series and won't get any updates for the 21/22 season. But, you can add a Mimic Professional liner to it and it will definitely boost its resort performance.

Funkendrenchman

Booting up
Skier
Thanks. How much of the liner does the foam bladder cover? Is it only the ankle or does it go into the forefoot at all?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ultra XTD is a separate mold series and won't get any updates for the 21/22 season. But, you can add a Mimic Professional liner to it and it will definitely boost its resort performance.

Interesting, since I already own and love the current XTD, but wouldn't mind if it were just a bit "more" boot when I'm resort skiing.

Thanks for chiming in so much on boots!

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Thanks. How much of the liner does the foam bladder cover? Is it only the ankle or does it go into the forefoot at all?
It covers the heel, ankle, and mid-foot but not into the front of the forefoot. It basically locks in the foot but allows toe room to exist.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It covers the heel, ankle, and mid-foot but not into the front of the forefoot. It basically locks in the foot but allows toe room to exist.

Kind of a no-brainer, but does it maintain the height of the regular Mimic liner?

One of my favorite things about the Hawx is the somewhat taller than normal height at the shin. My RX 130s just feel "wrong" in this regard now.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Kind of a no-brainer, but does it maintain the height of the regular Mimic liner?

One of my favorite things about the Hawx is the somewhat taller than normal height at the shin. My RX 130s just feel "wrong" in this regard now.

Yes, the Mimic Professional liners follow their regular Mimic siblings in this regard.

Funkendrenchman

Booting up
Skier
Is the Mimic Pro liner only sold with the 130 flex? Will the combo be available in online retail? Specifically wondering about BC.com.

TS
J

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
I listened to the podcast yesterday. Really interesting stuff. I did not, however, quite understand the 25% increase in “stability.” If this means stiffness, then isn’t the 2022 boot more like a 140 as compared to this years boot? Or is the flex profile retained but the boot is less likely to collapse at the end of the flex range?

In terms of fit, the mimic professional liner is really intriguing to me. On the mondo chart my foot is a hair over 26.5 and my L foot measures in at 99mm and my right at 97. I typically find that boots that are nice and snug on my left foot are a little loose on my right and I usually crank the buckle above my R ankle a little tighter than on the L. Sound like this liner would take up that little bit of extra volume on my R foot.
Finally was the $850 the price noted above for regular 130 or the 130 Proffessional?

Sponsor