• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does your ski area have avalanche dogs or patrol dogs? A Big Sky avalanche dog resting. These avalanche dogs are highly trained and get take timed tests.

upload_2018-3-23_12-20-48.png

TS
Talisman

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 42446 And they are extremely dedicated as are their handlers / fellow patrollers
Photo of the crew loading swifty around 6:15
Seeing the dogs draped around the shoulders of patrollers skiing high angle lines is always impressive. The testing is interesting with the Big Sky dogs getting tested at Bridger Bowl and the Bridger dogs getting tested at Big Sky.

TS
Talisman

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cats are only used in Canada for avalanche rescue, to make joke videos. Our Canadian cousins have wicked sense of humor.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, Mt Hood Meadows uses dogs. Here's a batch of them training to find the patrol buried in a tree well. Great to see the dogs jump on the chairlift with patrol and ride up so well behaved on the lift.

P_20180131_092209_LL.jpg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
One day a patroller at Stevens Pass was doing some training with a new dog on the backside. I was unaware that they were in the vicinity of the trees I was skiing. As I got near them (still unaware of their presence because of the trees) the dog saw or heard me and began to chase me down the hill barking like mad. There is something very strange about being all alone in the trees, on the other side of the mountain from any highway or building or car, in the woods, alone, and a barking dog begins chasing you. Luckily, it couldn't catch me.

I am happy that the dogs are there. I see them around fairly often.

Sponsor

Staff online