• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Avalanche on Mt Rose Proper

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The area has seen its first major avalanche of the season with the storm that went through here the past few days.
From the Sierra Avalanche Center
https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/observation/avalanche/2017/nov/16/size-2-avalanche-hourglass
Avalanche Type:
Dry
Slab

Slope:
35degrees

Trigger type:
Unknown

Crown Height:
2 ft

Aspect:
Northeast

Weak Layer:
Old Snow

Avalanche Width:
100ft.

Terrain:
Above Treeline

Elevation:
9 600ft.

Bed Surface:
Old Snow

Avalanche Length:
600ft.

Number of people caught:
Number of partial burials:
DSCN5457-800x600.jpg

Tamarack Peak and Hourglass bowl where the avalanche took place. image: skitahoebackcountry.com
More detailed information about the avalanche:
We dug a pit on a slightly different aspect at direct north to find a 75-85cm snowpack. Our test results revealed a ct4 sc at 10cm/75cm and a ct12 sc at 14cm/85cm and failing on 1-2mm facets close to the ground. As we stepped around the corner we found an r2d2 avalanche with a large 2-2.5ft crown about 100ft wide through the left side of the chute running though a small gulley into the trees below. The crown also ran 100ft down the left flank about 1.5-2ft in depth. Failure layer was 2mm basal facets similar to those seen in the snowpit. It is unknown what triggered it as we noticed it about halfway down the path. The debris was 3-4 feet deep. We estimated the time of the avalanche based on the new snow on the debris to be sometime between 10-11am. We traversed over and did a quick beacon search on the path with no signals. No other avalanches noted. Sorry I have no pictures. I forgot my phone in the car.

Additional information from a Facebook post:

" I spoke with one of the party of 4 or 5 that were involved in the slide on my skin up. Three people ( I believe) were caught in it, two of which were slammed into trees/rocks but were ok. Another skier with a possible broken ankle. A couple lost skis as well. Maybe one of the involved skiers can give an accurate account of what happened....."

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Does Tahoe have anything similar to the CAIC site? http://avalanche.state.co.us/

They have both daily status reports as well as detailed avalanche analysis in a consistent format.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does Tahoe have anything similar to the CAIC site? http://avalanche.state.co.us/

They have both daily status reports as well as detailed avalanche analysis in a consistent format.
That would be the Sierra Avalanche Center, which is where I got the information. I just edited to reflect the link to this information.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
This avalanche was yesterday (Nov 16) at about 10am.
Top of Mt Rose Highway in Hourglass Bowl above and not close to the Mt Rose Ski Area.
Clicking on the link just posted by @Tricia pulls up a good map.

Thanks @Tricia I did not know 3 people were caught in it.

Heavy wet "Sierra Cement" can slide !

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Glad everyone is okay mostly. That bowl just screams "center punch me". It also screams "perfect avy terrain."

Sponsor

Staff online