• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Avalanche season 2022-23 has begun

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 3.10.21 PM.png

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Am i glad i don't live in Utah or Colorado.
We get bad layers in California too, but not to the extent that the Rockies do or whatever range is in Utah

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That didn't take long...wonder where at PCMR it was...
I'm hoping that someone like @Wasatchman can chime in with information on this location.
I think its on the Canyon's side, but I could be wrong.

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
McConkey's Bowl was the location. The person who triggered avalanche seems have made many mistakes, but hopefully will learn from their mistakes.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Park City ridge line extends from the top of McConkey’s bowl over Jupiter and around Thanes Canyon. It looks from a brief report filed by the skier with the Utah Avalanche Center like this happened top of McConkey’s

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The Park City ridge line extends from the top of McConkey’s bowl over Jupiter and around Thanes Canyon. It looks from a brief report filed by the skier with the Utah Avalanche Center like this happened top of McConkey’s
Yep, and looks like there is reporting that another avalanche was triggered in BCC in the West Bowl area. Be careful folks.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Wouldn't have thought this is a surprise. Skiing resort before it is open and executing a full control programme is the same as skiing backcountry. Lots of fresh snow and wind loading with poor compaction/ bonding =?

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not a surprise at all. Avalanche danger rated high in all areas here. The only sensible strategy is to avoid all avalanche terrain entirely. (Or pray and hope - but that isn’t regarded as terribly effective by the cognoscenti.)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Just to be clear, it is stated that the photo in the OP is an old photo, probably only to represent the reported avalanche and carry.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Avalanche season is well underway in Colorado and according to the Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC), 41 slides have been reported in the state since November 3.

@Doug Briggs posted this in the CO thread

Be safe. Be smart.

1667856199624.png

66 reported this season. For folks who like to nerd out or just stay atop avalanche occurrences -- the CAIC explorer application is the best way to do that in CO: https://forecasts.avalanche.state.co.us/explorer/

CAIC and Avalanche Canada have both moved to dynamic zone forecasting this year. More about the changes at CAIC here: https://avalanche.state.co.us/blog/CAICsnewlook

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Got this in my inbox today

We saw several bomb holes in The Chutes on Friday when we were skiing. (There was a 9 inch storm earlier in the week)
Then while we were skiing Mt Rose on Sunday, after a 6 inch storm, Phil caught this small natural slide in The Chutes

IMG_0179.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
All 10 people missing in avalanche in Austria found. Six skied out to the valley below, 4 found injured in slide, one serious. Huge response involving multiple helicopters, dogs, and up to 200 people.

All 10 feared buried initially after this video:

Sponsor

Staff online