• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Avalanche season 2022-23 has begun

James

Out There
Instructor
Big one yesterday at Snowbird. An avalanche midday from middle of Mt Superior went across the Alta Bypass rd with 30 ft of snow and came inbounds between Chickadee lift and tram deck. A rescue search by patrol found no one buried or injured on Chickadee. Road closed indefinitely and Snowbird went to Interlodge immediately.

They have one lane partly open now and are only allowing DOWN traffic so people can evacuate.
Haven’t they been on Interlodge for a few days?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Yes, Road for 2 or 3 days. I think one day those up at Alta/Bird could ski and had the powder to themselves !
They call this "The Country Club” of some such.
60 inches of snow in 3 or 4 days ! Catching up to Tahoe
BCC one day. Hasent stopped snowing since the skitalk gathering !

James

Out There
Instructor
I heard Alta was open to ski, but not Snowbird. If you were up there.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Haven’t they been on Interlodge for a few days?
AFAIK Inter-lodge had been lifted that morning and I am pretty sure chickadee was open. Public was immediately inter-lodged again till Friday morning.

1680958589210.jpeg

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
So Alta & Snowbird are sort of open but you can't get there. Road closed from Monday to at least this Friday (per Alta) due to severe and multiple ongoing
avalanches. Most avy are midday due to the sun warming the wet snow on steep mountains next to LCC road. Those stuck up the road -I doubt there
are many guests as they were all given the choice to evacuate Monday night. Those there (along with employees that had to stay there) must want to be
trapped up canyon for days !

Those at Alta or Snowbird can ski (no interlodge) but almost nothing is open. (probably due to severe staffing problems)

Today Alta reports 2 lifts only: Sunnyside & Collins. All runs off high T past Sunspot are closed. Baldroom is closed.

Today Snowbird reports 2 lifts only: Wilber and Gadzoom. Tram did not run yesterday or today "due to wind" ?

Alta reports road closed but plenty of parking -brilliant ! !

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online