• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Avalanche season 2022-23 has begun

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Because it is physically impossible for low-angle (< 30°) terrain to slide. That said, you can be in low angle but underneath avalanche terrain, and all sorts of other issues, so yes, you need to know what you are doing and stay away from that stuff. I ski some zones where there is just nothing more than about 28°, nothing overhanging, and it's at least as safe as driving on I-70.

AND, yes, some people are idiots. Others are ignorant. That's just part of life.

Hmmmm.. even here in NY we have had one.. Luckily the lodge was closed= the right conditions Snow will Slide

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Hmmmm.. even here in NY we have had one.. Luckily the lodge was closed= the right conditions Snow will Slide

A number of things here so @SBrown doesn't have to defend her eminently reasonable POV.

- That slide is after 6.5" of rain. You've got a completed saturated snowpack at that point with water flowing through and under the pack.
- I can't see the slope, but that is either going to be a glide or a wet slab avalanche or slush flow.

So in short, it's not really relevant to the conditions @SBrown made her statement which is Colorado in midwinter where choosing to ski <30 degree terrain without overhead hazard is generally considered safe by professionals. It is quite rare to see a wet slab problem in the avalanche forecast until late March in CO. Occasionally you will get wet loose earlier on specific aspects but those tend to be steep southerlies around shallow spots in the snowpack.

EDIT: Yes there's never 100% certainty anywhere. Whether you're choosing to ski a black run >30 degrees inbounds, or a 25-degree no overhead hazard meadown in the BC. But avalanche pros typical advice from avalanche pros is >30 degrees you're in avalanche terrain (here's the NACs stock slide: https://avalanche.org/avalanche-tutorial/avalanche-terrain.php).

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
A number of things here so @SBrown doesn't have to defend her eminently reasonable POV.

- That slide is after 6.5" of rain. You've got a completed saturated snowpack at that point with water flowing through and under the pack.
- I can't see the slope, but that is either going to be a glide or a wet slab avalanche or slush flow.

So in short, it's not really relevant to the conditions @SBrown made her statement which is Colorado in midwinter where choosing to ski <30 degree terrain without overhead hazard is generally considered safe by professionals. It is quite rare to see a wet slab problem in the avalanche forecast until late March in CO. Occasionally you will get wet loose earlier on specific aspects but those tend to be steep southerlies around shallow spots in the snowpack.

EDIT: Yes there's never 100% certainty anywhere. Whether you're choosing to ski a black run >30 degrees inbounds, or a 25-degree no overhead hazard meadown in the BC. But avalanche pros typical advice from avalanche pros is >30 degrees you're in avalanche terrain (here's the NACs stock slide: https://avalanche.org/avalanche-tutorial/avalanche-terrain.php).

I wasn't arguing or trying to make a beef on @SBrown post, they are 100% Correct -just alerting that Skiers/boarders/snowmobilers winter sports enthusiasts should be cognizant of their surroundings at all times, Obviously avalanches are most common in big Mt areas. IMO anyone playing in the big snow better know the danger sounds, sights and be prepared, those that know me know I'm a sissy, I won't go out of bounds and I ski where it's patrolled and blasted but even then, my whistle lives where my mouth can reach it, I run thru what I will have to do to survive if a slide happens. and I stay very aware, just in case. Kind of like doing emergency procedures in sky diving, scuba diving, flying a plane or other high risk things. Be Prepared at all times.
Speaking of hazards.. last night 3 snowmobiles went in a lake near me- 2 survived, 1 is dead. Lake had 11inches of Ice except by the stream that ran into the lake and they saw it too late it was dark. No one wants to see anyone die while having fun.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
A thoughtful article by Colin Zacharias. Deep powder will unfailingly test our ability to choose wisely in avalanche terrain.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This one hits close to home :( . I’ve known Kyle’s dad since Kyle was a baby. An amazingly talented athlete with a great head on his shoulders…

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is not good.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This one hits close to home :( . I’ve known Kyle’s dad since Kyle was a baby. An amazingly talented athlete with a great head on his shoulders…
Grant Gunderson, known as @mtbakerskier on Epic was with him in Japan for a photo shoot. After the photo shoot was over, Grant went back to the lodge while Kyle and Adam took another run or two.

FWIW, here is a gofundme to help get him home.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yep the Tirol was lethal over the weekend but it was not unwarned about for anyone paying the slightest attention. It beggars belief that a guide took his client into the most notorious terrain trap in St Anton on Saturday.

Re Kyle Smaine. Sucks. But the teachable moment is that travel insurance is available. Austrian Alpine Club will let anyone join and cover unlimited repat costs. Your family shouldn't have to beg for donations to bring your body home.

4ster

Instructor
Your family shouldn't have to beg for donations to bring your body home.
No one is begging for donations!
The Go Fund Me was set up by Kyle’s lifelong friend, not his family. I am sure anything raised will ease the burden on his new wife, family & help preserve his legacy. Pro skiers, even World Champions are not getting rich. Contributions are voluntary…. Geez :rolleyes:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
@4ster

Guess I read this differently

With heavy hearts, we now ask for a different kind of support — to help with the logistics involved in returning Kyle home

No matter I wasn't looking to criticise just educate anyone travelling abroad that travel insurance should be part of their planning.

James

Out There
Instructor
Really sad. To be taken out from skiers above, just standing there too.

4ster

Instructor
Really sad. To be taken out from skiers above, just standing there too.
I think if anything that is the lesson to be learned. With such an increase of inexperienced backcountry travelers we need to stay focused & doubly alert to our surroundings especially in so called sidecountry. Even when we do everything right, we have no idea what those above us are thinking or doing.

I came across this alarming incident report the other day...
I was skinning up from Galena Creek to ski down through trees on NE face of East Galena Peak. Heard voices above me. I was skinning up and as I made my zigs and zags was crossing the most prominent chute on the NE face. Thinking the skiers above me might try to ski the chute, I quickly skinned across the chute one last time into the open trees about 30 yds from the edge of the chute that was about 30-40 ft wide. I was at about 8,800 ft. Wanted to be clear of the skiers so stopped next to a tree when suddenly I heard a yell "Avalanche". I looked up and saw the snow powder plume of the avalanche and then the snow sliding down the chute and it continued well below my elevation. The skier party above me and I each yelled out "are you ok?" They were ok. I stayed there for a few minutes and the first skier skied down on top of the slide in the chute and stopped near me to apologize. I asked what the trigger was and he said he stomped on the snow to see if it would release before they skied the chute. I said no problem. I knew to not be in the chute with them above me and was glad no one was caught in it. The party of 5 each skied down the chute separatedly. I transitioned and skied down through the open glade to the east of the chute with solid snow. Caught up with the group and we chatted about the slide and the lead skier again apologized for not yelling something before he stomped his ski to test the chute snow because he had seen me skinning up and knew I was below him and his party. Never did get a photo of the slide.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep the Tirol was lethal over the weekend but it was not unwarned about for anyone paying the slightest attention. It beggars belief that a guide took his client into the most notorious terrain trap in St Anton on Saturday.

Re Kyle Smaine. Sucks. But the teachable moment is that travel insurance is available. Austrian Alpine Club will let anyone join and cover unlimited repat costs. Your family shouldn't have to beg for donations to bring your body home.
He was there filming a promotional video for the Ikon Pass. I would have thought Alterra would have arranged for his remains to be sent home but perhaps not.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
He was there filming a promotional video for the Ikon Pass. I would have thought Alterra would have arranged for his remains to be sent home but perhaps not.
Makes the need to ask for charity even worse if Alterra haven't stepped up. Mind you I remember Sarah Burke's injury and death and how sponsors ran a mile from picking up any care costs.

Robertito

Getting on the lift
Skier
And the village at Palisades catches one, as well (no injuries). Looks like it was near the tram line...

And here is the Placer County evacuation map— https://pcsogis.maps.arcgis.com/app...hawgtkbiWrS113x9OCCunlGWFzyI1DO-sO-0P5_kRKW74

Our friends happened to drive up to their place today, which is about 100 yards east of Zone A.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Not avi but roofs are starting to collapse in Nevada City & maybe other areas around Tahoe. A bank here is starting to collapse. The entire roof on the gym at Echo Ridge school collapsed due to snow load. (gym unoccupied at time of collapse)

Folks, if your roof is flat or almost flat get some of the heavy snow off it !

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Especially as rain events as lower elevations ramp up across the west in the next few days -- folks need to take lots of care about roof avalanches and avalanches in places they don't typically see them.

Sponsor