• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Avalanche season 2022-23 has begun

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
4 more buildings in Nevada city a bank, a grocery store and a commercial building on crown point (Is that where I got a root canal 3 weeks ago - just revenge) evacuated & on verge of collapse due to snow load on roof. The Urgent Care center is one & needs urgent care.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
4 more buildings in Nevada city a bank, a grocery store and a commercial building on crown point (Is that where I got a root canal 3 weeks ago - just revenge) evacuated & on verge of collapse due to snow load on roof. The Urgent Care center is one & needs urgent care.
Nevada city on us 20?
There's so much snow there?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
20 still closed - over a week now
88 to from Kirkwood close to same.

An entire strip mall (20 stores) with flat roofs here is in trouble (Fowler Center). These roofs aren’t designed for the current unexpected massive snow load !
If the rain over next 7 days soaks in and freezes more could collapse. The large hardware store needs to take some of their snowblowers up on the roof !

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This one from Thursday the 9th:

Accident and Rescue Summary

Preliminary report
A group of guided skiers triggered a large avalanche in Upper Weber Canyon. Two skiers were caught, carried, and buried. A transceiver search ensued. One skier was successfully excavated and flown to a nearby hospital. The other skier was buried deeper and wasn't breathing when he was uncovered. Both air ambulance and guide personnel initiated CPR, but he passed away at the scene.

The UAC is currently working with the operation involved in this accident to prepare a report. Please be patient as we work to sort out the details.
3-09-23%20For%20web.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Palasades Tahoe closed yesterday due to rain and very wet snow causing multiple avalanches. Much of back side of kt2is sliding.
Some is landing on Aline Meadows toad

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maroon Bowl, just the other side of the ridge from the first part of Highlands Bowl at Aspen Highlands was triggered by 3 skiers today, and one was killed. :(

A familiar site on every visit I've made to Highlands, the view from the patrol deck... but usually without the avalanche crown:

1679280413547.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, another huge avalanche caught three and killed one on Friday, somewhat between Aspen and Crested Butte. :geek:

50r85ra4r4sx32qb28l7er5jqr72.jpeg

"It broke two to three feet deep, 300 to 500 feet wide, and ran 2400 vertical feet." :(

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
5000 ft of vertical according to Denver TV
There isn't 5000 feet of vertical there. From the ridge to the valley floor there is about 3600 feet of vertical. They could have meant the length of the runout, which is well over a mile along the ground from the ridge to valley floor.

Here's the CalTopo profile from the ridge down through the assumed slide path (the lowest area of the bowl/funnel) to the valley floor:

1679333479201.png

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I typically don't follow avalanche activity as I ski strictly inbounds, but Baker had a few interesting events just outside the ropes within the last 48 hours. Last storm was about a week and a half ago. All of these slides came down in moderately tracked out areas. The first is Hemispheres leading into The Canyon, clearly shot down by patrol. The next two are off the Shuksan Arm.

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1177.jpeg

IMG_1179.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
I typically don't follow avalanche activity as I ski strictly inbounds, but Baker had a few interesting events just outside the ropes within the last 48 hours. Last storm was about a week and a half ago. All of these slides came down in moderately tracked out areas. The first is Hemispheres leading into The Canyon, clearly shot down by patrol. The next two are off the Shuksan Arm.

View attachment 197776
View attachment 197777
View attachment 197778
Damn, those are deep crowns.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Big one yesterday at Snowbird. An avalanche midday from middle of Mt Superior went across the Alta Bypass rd with 30 ft of snow and came inbounds between Chickadee lift and tram deck. A rescue search by patrol found no one buried or injured on Chickadee. Road closed indefinitely and Snowbird went to Interlodge immediately.

They have one lane partly open now and are only allowing DOWN traffic so people can evacuate.

Last edited: