• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Wow. I used to ski near there by hopping out of the car at a switchback on Loveland Pass -- on the way back from Arapahoe Basin. We were definitely in complete ignorant bliss about the risks we were taking. I stick to the resort runs now....

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good story. I hope she is successful in getting the manufacturers involved in the IAN program even if they won't commit to getting the word out up-front.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Wow. I used to ski near there by hopping out of the car at a switchback on Loveland Pass -- on the way back from Arapahoe Basin. We were definitely in complete ignorant bliss about the risks we were taking. I stick to the resort runs now....
I can relate to sticking to the resorts. Even then it's not a guarantee. Stay safe this season riders.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Great link, thanks. One mistake is all it takes. Everyone please be safe out there.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is a devil's dilemma; what we love can kill us, this is a part of the attraction, and not just in skiing.

That is a very well told story on a painful topic.

I have lost friends and acquaintances in the backcountry, mostly in Alaskan bush flying. Whenever I see a that supercub heading out it rings that bell.

I feel for the survivors, I have been to the funerals. What is the 'right answer'? It is in our DNA to look over the next hill and there have always been some that don't come back from over that hill. We probably couldn't stop that activity and perhaps shouldn't. What is right?

We do need to educate on the risks associated when we can though. This can be taught but you can not make people learn.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Yes, we were just some young kids with a drivers license skiing down and hitchhiking back up for another run. We didn't hike up the mountain. I did jump off a cliff and land feet first over my head in snow on some skinny K2s. I could breath but it was very hard and cold getting out. Hopefully people are more careful these days.

Still, people die canoeing, swimming, and hiking all the time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After watching Far Out, the new TGR movie, I could not help coming out thinking that they are sensationalizing cheating death by how many scenes were skiers "out skiing" avalanches. At least in previous movies with the 100' cliff drops, the average skier would realize their limitations, now they will think, "I can ski fast...".

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Still, people die canoeing, swimming, and hiking all the time.

Hell, you can be walking in the park and get hit by lightning, or a runaway garbage truck.
Don't ignore obvious danger, but living scared does nothing to improve life.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hell, you can be walking in the park and get hit by lightning, or a runaway garbage truck.
Don't ignore obvious danger, but living scared does nothing to improve life.

I get it, she wants to give more importance to her husbands death and this has been part of her mourning process but we can make good decisions and ski in the back country relatively safely. You don’t HAVE to go out in questionable conditions or drop into sketchy lines. People die every day and none of us are going to get out alive so yeah, living in fear isn’t really living either.

Last edited:

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
http://avalanche.state.co.us/accidents/us/

Last season:

US Avalanche Fatalities

2017-2018 SEASON
24 US fatalities

Activity Killed
Skier † 9
Snowboarder † 2
Snowmobiler 11
Snowshoer/Climber/Hiker 2
Other 0
Total 24
† Inbounds skier/boarder 0

Date
up6.png
State Location Description Killed
04/22 WY Northwest of East Leidy Mountain, west of Togwotee Pass 1 snowmobiler caught, buried, and killed 1
04/14 MT Saddle Peak, Bridger Range 1 sidecountry rider caught, partially buried-critical, and killed 1
04/10 CO Northwest of Glacier Peak, Middle Fork Swan River 1 snowmobiler caught, buried, and killed 1
04/08 CO Maroon Bowl, west of Aspen Highlands 2 sidecountry riders caught, 1 killed 1
03/10 WA Park Butte, south of Mount Baker 1 snowmobiler caught, killed 1
03/04 WA Setting Sun Mountain, north of the Methow Valley 1 backcountry caught, partially buried-critical, and killed 1
03/04 CA Near Kirkwood Ski Resort 2 residents killed in roof avalanche 2
03/03 WA North Fork Teanaway, north of Cle Elum 4 snowmobilers caught, 1 injured, 2 killed 2
02/25 WA Stampede Pass 4 snowmobilers caught, 1 buried and killed, 2 injured 1
02/25 WA Snoqualmie Pass 2 hikers killed 2
02/25 AK Dude Mountain, north of Ketchikan 1 backcountry tourers caught, 1 buried and killed 1
02/20 ID Sheep Creek, west of Palisades 1 snowmobiler caught, buried, and killed 1
02/17 WY Ralph's Slide, Upper Rock Springs Canyon near Wilson 1 skier caught and killed 1
02/17 MT Canyon Creek, Whitefish Range 1 sidecountry rider caught, buried, and killed 1
01/21 CO South of Red Mountain Pass, Sam's Trees 2 backcountry skiers caught and partially buried, 1 killed 1
01/20 ID Southeast of Reas Peak, Centennial Range 1 snowbiker caught, buried, and killed 1
01/10 ID Northwest of Reas Peak, Centennial Range 1 snowmobiler killed 1
01/02 MT Cabin Creek, southern Madison Range 1 snowmobiler caught, buried, and killed 1
12/29 WY Commissary Ridge, Salt River Range 3 snowmobilers caught, 2 partially buried, 1 buried and killed 1
11/22 AK Marmot Mountain, Hatcher Pass 1 backcountry tourer caught, buried, and killed 1
10/07 MT Imp Peak, southern Madison Range 2 backcountry tourers caught, 1 partially buried, 1 buried and killed 1

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January