• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AWD Systems / Technologies Differences between Subaru and Toyota and Honda

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Cherokee Limited is my ride.
I had one of those as a rental in SLC. I thought the AWD worked well in the snow even with the crappy stock tires. I could not stand all the electronic nannies, however. I couldn't turn off the lane keeping feature fast enough.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The Cherokee Limited is my ride.
So you have Active Drive 1, which is basically what the Rav4, CR-V etc all use. FWD until slip is detected then diverts power to the rear wheel via an electronic centre diff. It's the basic AWD system for Jeep intended for good gas mileage, snow conditions and minimal off-roading.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the biggest drawbacks with at least some of the Subaru systems is the need for tires that are within a small percentage of each other in diameter. Three good tires halfway through their life and one unrepairable flat? Four new tires.

Don't trust me with your sube but by the time you toast the tranny with that slightly more worn tire the exhaust is rotted and loud and even though you replaced the clutch just trade it in and get a new one for 20,000.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don't trust me with your sube but by the time you toast the tranny with that slightly more worn tire the exhaust is rotted and loud and even though you replaced the clutch just trade it in and get a new one for 20,000.
It effects the way the car drives at least in a Subaru. It can feel like a bad wheel bearing or unbalanced tires.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So you have Active Drive 1, which is basically what the Rav4, CR-V etc all use. FWD until slip is detected then diverts power to the rear wheel via an electronic centre diff. It's the basic AWD system for Jeep intended for good gas mileage, snow conditions and minimal off-roading.
Does this have the option of locking the differentials?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It effects the way the car drives at least in a Subaru. It can feel like a bad wheel bearing or unbalanced tires.

I could see that but I haven't run severely mismatched thread wear which would be foolish on any vehicle.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I could see that but I haven't run severely mismatched thread wear which would be foolish on any vehicle.
I bought a used Legacy from a dealer upstate and the dealer replaced the two front tires to pass inspection. On the drive home I was sure I had a bad wheel bearing. When I replaced all 4 tires a couple of days later it was smooth as glass.