• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Awful crash in southern Nevada--5 cyclists killed

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of those Nevada roads don't have any traffic for miles. Is this one of those roads? Did the truck driver fall asleep at the wheel? Hope they weren't texting.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of those Nevada roads don't have any traffic for miles. Is this one of those roads? Did the truck driver fall asleep at the wheel? Hope they weren't texting.
Texting or otherwise distracted was my first thought. I mean, they had a CHASE car, so one had to really be distracted or have a medical event, to not have seen what was coming.
Pretty hard to wrap my head around that many close friends being killed in one incident. How very tragic.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Texting or otherwise distracted was my first thought. I mean, they had a CHASE car, so one had to really be distracted or have a medical event, to not have seen what was coming.
Pretty hard to wrap my head around that many close friends being killed in one incident. How very tragic.
I read another article about the accident (in the NYT) and it sounded like some of the riders may have been behind the chase car. Or at least they were hit first, and then the car.
The speed limit was 75 mph on the section of road they were on. I like riding on the road, but it does give me pause, especially when I hear or read about this kind of accident. There have been many over the years.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fock.

Thoughts and prayers to friends and loved ones left behind.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
More recent report said impairment was not suspected. Riders were behind the safety car drafting to buck high winds and were pinned between the truck and car.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Terrible.

This really hits home: I got hit by a pick-up early last month. Amazingly, I only suffered a broken rib and some pretty impressive hematoma. A couple days in the hospital and I'm up and OK. But you wonder: how does this happen? Place I was hit sounds very similar to the Nevada site -- flat, lots of visibility, big shoulder (where I was). When asked what happened, the guy who hit me told the police officer, "he must have ben out in my travel lane and I didn't see him." WTF????? Where were you looking???

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like it's always the cyclist's fault. Or I should say, gets blamed on the cyclist.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I did about 3,000 miles of road riding this year. So this type of news always hits me hard. I think one of those rear-facing cycling cameras might be in my Santa's wish list. While it may not stop a car, if something happens it will make it easier finding who was responsible.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really sad. I fret for bikers who ride the roads.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As a frequent road rider, I don't get it. Riding on a 75 mph interstate highway?
WTF, RIP but WTF!?

Guessing you don't live or ride in a part of the country where such highways are the only road at all.

And, honestly, is a highway with huge paved shoulders really as directly dangerous as a 35-45 mph two lane mountain road with no shoulders? With blind rollovers, dips and curves?

This incident is not the cyclists' fault.

Sponsor