• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Awful crash in southern Nevada--5 cyclists killed

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like it's always the cyclist's fault. Or I should say, gets blamed on the cyclist.
And that is why there is a push to remove the term ‘accident’ from police and news reports. Especially when the motor vehicle ran a stop sign, made a left turn against an opposing traveling bike, operated a phone, veered onto the shoulder or did other actions that are prohibited in traffic laws.
Those things are not accidental. The crash is not intended, so the bicyclists injured/death is unintentional, but using the term accident, biases judges and juries, and results in very poor prosecution of vehicle operators.

Edit: oops I see others had posted the same.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
You can use any adjective to describe the event. The bottom line is who was negilant. Personally I would not put myself in that situation. Riding a bike on a high speed roadway. I don't trust people.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the maxims in our construction safety program is " There is no such thing as an accident. Everything happens for a reason"
There are only incidents, that have underlying causes. And those are preventable.
Along the lines in the firearm world is "accidental discharge". Negligent discharge is more appropriate. Most firearm accidents are caused by negligence.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It turns out the driver has been charged with DUI. Methamphetamines were found in his system. Short article here.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So sad. Any word if the driver was on the job, hopefully working for a company with deep pockets?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It turns out the driver has been charged with DUI. Methamphetamines were found in his system. Short article here.
I'm still waiting for an explanation; having a performance enhancing drug in his system is not enough to explain what happened. (note: despite it being a performance enhancing drug, I still recommend against taking meth, unless perhaps while piloting a jet in a dog fight with a MIG 15).

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The Box truck GVW is under 26k so no CDL B is needed. Probably wasn't UA for the job. How can someone live with such a disregard for life. I hate people.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The Box truck GVW is under 26k so no CDL B is needed. Probably wasn't UA for the job. How can someone live with such a disregard for life. I hate people.
Well..not to make excuses or speak for others..but these kinds of things sometimes end up with a suicide. Good people make bad decisions sometimes and it's just very unfortunate.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
950 nanograms per milliliter of methamphetamine in his system.

You don't fall asleep with that amount of Meth in your system. Black out would be a better term.

Sponsor

Staff online