• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Awful crash in southern Nevada--5 cyclists killed

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A tragic event for sure. As always the media does not provide adequate details :(. Were all the bicyclists on the shoulder when the truck hit them? From the story, we don't know where they were during the accident. Either the truck was driving on the shoulder for some reason (why?) or the bicyclists were not (why not?).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A tragic event for sure. As always the media does not provide adequate details :(. Were all the bicyclists on the shoulder when the truck hit them? From the story, we don't know where they were during the accident. Either the truck was driving on the shoulder for some reason (why?) or the bicyclists were not (why not?).

"The driver of the chase vehicle was injured and transported to a hospital." Seems the chase vehicle was hit as well.... Could be the truck driver simply fell asleep. Don't think it matters where the cyclists were on a long, straight, rural road.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's tempting to blame the cyclists..I think any road can be dangerous..our roads here have no shoulder generally and are travelled at 100km/h. It's unfortunate there were so many hurt and killed..but it's an inherently dangerous thing to ride bicycles near cars. It's a risk we all take..and unfortunately little mistakes can result in terrible consequences. Motorcycles have the same risk..a minor fender-bender in a car turns into a terrible tragedy on a bike. Very sad, RIP.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for more details. Apparently it was very windy. Some cyclists were in front of support vehicle, some behind trying to shelter from wind. Supposedly they were on the shoulder when hit. Apparently deaths/injuries to riders behind and in front of support vehicle. Wonder if a wind gust blew the trucker into them?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
To each his own. IMHO, it matters to me whether I'm riding my bicycle in the middle of the passing lane or far on the right shoulder on a 75 mph highway. I try to avoid risking my safety by relying on the vigilance of others as much as popssible.

You live in Ontario. Have you ever driven in the US desert SW? Imagine Canada 1 in the middle of Manitoba, but desert. You can see for a very very long way up the road.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I've driven across the parries a few times. I would feel safer on a road that you couldn't see straight to the horizon on; road hypnosis is a thing. That being said, I think @Jim Kenney is on the right track, wind blew the truck out of control, given it's being called an accident.

Riding a bicycle near motor vehicles is dangerous, any way you look at it. :(

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Stephan McDonald (SkiinginJackson) was killed JRA, this happened, both of these are pretty close to home (regionally and friendship). There are just too many distractions for drivers for me to be out on the road with only lycra on my body and some foam on my head to risk getting taken out. I will stick to my mountain bike and the trails and the only riding on the road will be either crossing the street or for short distances to the store.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn.

Every time i hear/read something like this there's that voice in my head saying "You're next"...

We-road cyclists just have to be kind and polite to each other as every chat/discussion/interaction we have, may be our last.

R.I.P.

I get desensitized to it. But if I go out after not riding for a while, I get anxious heading out. Once I'm on my bike though, the anxiety goes away and joy takes over.

I know quite a few people who have lost friends in cycling accidents, or who have had life-altering injuries themselves.

I started mountain biking again a few years ago, but that has its own risks.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Stephan McDonald (SkiinginJackson) was killed JRA, this happened, both of these are pretty close to home (regionally and friendship). There are just too many distractions for drivers for me to be out on the road with only lycra on my body and some foam on my head to risk getting taken out.
I immediately though to Stepen McDonald when I read this thread. Both events are Just Tragic, lots of empty chairs at holiday events this year. I can't imagine the impact cn all the families.
I consider myself very lucky to be able to ride on local roads with minimal traffic and bike lanes. I limit my riding to these roads and no longer venture onto longer distance rides that involve more risk.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'm not a bike rider but retired with 4 million miles behind the wheel of class 8 trucks. That said there is really no excuse in this situation to running over people with a vehicle. No I wasn't there but experience tells me the driver didn't preform his duties. First and foremost you slow down. Anyway, you just can't rely on people to do the right thing. Sad.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another thing that bothers and scares the $hit out of me is that seeing the picture of the scene, it is not like it was a blind corner and the came out of nowhere, it was wide open with a significant amount of range for visability.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The box truck and a mangled bicycle are both sitting on the shoulder in this photo. The box truck's doors are open. This image leads me to think the box truck wandered onto the shoulder then hit the group.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/14563096_web1_BICYCLE-NHP-FATAL-DEC11-20-007.jpg?crop=1
14563096_web1_BICYCLE-NHP-FATAL-DEC11-20-007.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Cyclists are urging media to change the way they describe events where vehicles run into cyclists. Looks like the NYTimes is on board.

Instead of an accident they use crash. Accident appears to exonerate the truck driver of responsibility. And instead of the truck crashing into the bicyclists, the driver is now credited with hitting and killing them. There's a strong campaign going on to change the wording media usually choose in this direction. Good move, NYTimes.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cyclists are urging media to change the way they describe events where vehicles run into cyclists. Looks like the NYTimes is on board. They have chosen to describe the event with different words than other media outlets.

Instead of an accident they use crash. Accident appears to exonerate the truck driver of responsibility. And instead of the truck crashing into the bicyclists, the driver is now credited with hitting and killing them. There's a strong campaign going on to change the wording media usually choose in this direction. Good move, NYTimes.

Title changed.