• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Baby needs new shoes

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well the OEM rim protectors are wearing down to the wear bars, although with the lockdowns I might never reach them. So... I have an agonizing decision to make. Do I get the Michelin Pilot Sport Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 in 225-50-16, which would fit on my 16 inch x 6.5 inch rims with a ~3 percent reduction in diameter compared to stock (just within the limit and they would do better on 7" rims) I can live with the compromise in fuel mileage and speedo error.
OR get bigger rims and go with the Micheline Pilot 4S which is available for 17 inch rims, and maybe (who knows?) in a size that's closer to original OEM diameter.

Car is a 2015 Mazda 3, and for some reason Michelin did not think anyone with such a car who did not already upgrade the rims and suspension didn't care about tire performance, so Pilots don't come in 205-60-16.
https://www.michelin.ca/en/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s

I would like to avoid going too low profile, because then I would have to slow down for Sudbury potholes, or keep replacing alloy rim$. :geek:
All opinions welcome. When you factor in the mileage warranty the 4S is more expensive.

These would be summer only tires.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well the downside is there are only two months of summer in the Suds... :ogbiggrin: I just recommended the Pilot Sport AS4s to someone. Don't buy new rims, eat the 3%

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
225-50-17s would be closer, +0.8% (available for either tire).
And I could stick them on 8" rims instead of 6.5",which would give me better handling.
I could always use my OEM rims for snow tires, and get rid of the ugly rusty steel rims I had on there last winter when the Hakkas finally wear out; I might get a sixth season out of them!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Pilot Sport AS4s sound awesome. Here's a great video from Tyre Reviews where he drove C8 to Utah to test them in the snow:

It's amazing Michelin has widened the performance envelope where that's possible. An ultra high-performance tire that won't kill you if you happen upon some snow in the shoulder season is huge. Or, running them year-round on a second vehicle in a quiver with dedicated snows, knowing they will be OK in the cold or if the weather catches you in the wrong vehicle.

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for making up my mind; Pilot Sport All Season 4 it is. I can get a decent member only price at Costco.
Now just have to decide on 17"x7" alloy rims (also available from Costco for my car), or on the 16" OEM rims. As I mentioned I am beginning to regret those cheap steel winter rims I bough; I'll have to brush the rust off them and paint them if I keep them.

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can do either size. Costco has a link to a fitment guide that goes by make, model, trim and year. Question is what will give me a higher top speed ogwink.

IIRC 18" wheels were an option in 2015, but I don't want to go that far for fear of potholes. I know the 3% smaller diameter will out-accelerate the 0.8 % bigger diameter. I'm not worried about the $50/year on gas.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, Costco is very particular about the fitment of tires. In my experience, they won't sell you a tire that isn't exactly to spec in both size and load rating.

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
FYI, Costco is very particular about the fitment of tires. In my experience, they won't sell you a tire that isn't exactly to spec in both size and load rating.
Yes. I already checked with the guy behind the counter at the Costco tire desk. He said it was just within the size limit he was allowed to put on my car.
I had the same problem at a different Costco trying to get Pilots for my old chevy. The kicker was he was replacing Pilots that had originally been put on at another Costco. I ended up with Firehawk Pursuits (from a local tire store), which while not quite so good in the rain, seemed to be actually better in the dry for a heavy car.

Last edited:
TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Are you measuring actual on-pavement sidewall deflection? That 3% could totally get lost in the wash.
Just stats, using this very helpful site:
And of course what Michelin says about their tires.

Sponsor

Staff online