• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Back to it

Gibby

Booting up
Skier
Last winter was the first time I’ve skied in about 10 years. I quit after a burst fracture of L4, which happened while speed skating. I don’t do that anymore, along with mountain bike riding. Still ride a single, and a tandem.
Since I had given away my skis, I started this season demoing new skis. My boots were more than 10 years old, and the rubber soles disintegrated on the first day. Luckily, I was able to find a pair of Nordica speed machine 120 that fit well, and were available in my size.
Back to demoing skis at steamboat, and Breckenridge. On day six, while demoing a pair of Meier skis in the back bowls of Vail, I took a bad fall. My first ride in a ski patrol sled. Hopefully, my last. The x-ray did not show any broken bones. The MRI, three weeks later, did show a break. The doc said that I had broken the top of my tibial plateau. He described it as cracking the shell of a hard boiled egg. No surgery, no tears, just a lot of pain.
The fall happened on March 19. Yesterday, I ordered one of the pair of Meier skis that I had demoed. Meier Wrangler 180cm. Relieved that I will be skiing this winter, and excited to be on a new pair of skis that won’t be ready until October

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Luckily, I was able to find a pair of Nautica speed machine 120 that fit well, and were available in my size.
You from Lungilan? ;)

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
The doc said that I had broken the top of my tibial plateau. He described it as cracking the shell of a hard boiled egg. No surgery, no tears, just a lot of pain.
Please be careful with this. I suspect that I "cracked my shell" in December 2019 with a fall and a "pop". Took a few days off and it wasn't really right for a few weeks. Couldn't really ski although I tried. December 2020 I skied in fog, hit a waterbar that I didn't see, and I believe I finished the job. Tibial Plateau fracture requiring surgery to fix. My second accident was pretty bad. I hit the waterbar totally unexpectedly, at speed, and double ejected about 15-20 feet into a traverse. I felt about 90% in that knee before that.

Also, welcome back! Just please be careful.

TS
Gibby

Gibby

Booting up
Skier
Interesting ski… but a terrible website. I couldn’t manage to pull up their reviews. :huh:
If you were looking for reviews on the wrangler ski, it’s too early. It’s a new model. When I did demo the wrangler this past season, it was a prototype. The model name, and the top skin design has not been finalized.