• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Back to teaching, at last

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
No, unfortunately it is not skiing.
Inline skating, that is.
But at least I am doing something besides smartworking and at home PT...
The group seems made up of adults never ever, so my plans to introduce some "Alpine Inline" drill will not fit, alas. I was counting on it. My main bone with both my "Lebensgefartin" and her brother (both former High level inline skating speed athletes and coaches) has always been that "One can skate as one skis", at times I implied the viceversa too, but have come to the realisation, through practical attempts that it is not possible and dangerous.
Note to mods' squad: it is not ski sschool related (not completely at least) so if you think this is not the right place, please move where you think fit. TIA

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
My main bone with both my "Lebensgefartin" and her brother (both former High level inline skating speed athletes and coaches) has always been that "One can skate as one skis", at times I implied the viceversa too, but have come to the realisation, through practical attempts that it is not possible and dangerous.
That sounds interesting -- might you elaborate?

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Well, I will try.
Let me see if I can explain myself well enough
Disregard , for the moment, the fact that , if skating on a flat surface, to gain speed one needs to, in fact, skate to propel oneself forward.
Lets' concentrate on turning. Specifically on what I refer to a "passive skating turn" (one where one simply let skates turn without pushing the skates to generate forward trust, by crossing the inside leg with the outside one etc etc)
One can use the exact same muscle movement body vertical separation and weight distribution on the two skates (outside vs inside) . (and body vertical separation) to turn with skates as if one were skiing, relative proportions made (due to the length of the skates (wheel train) compared to the length of a normal ski.
Of course it is not effective, if one thinks about skating (and racing or competing, for that matter), even Alpine Inline technique is different (but again, one can ski the Alpine Inline racing gates as if one were skiing) . But I am talking about replicating the skiing movement to keep our muscle memory alive until snow comes back.
On the contrary, a skater that would try to ski, making a turn, using the weight distribution he/she is used while skating, particularly a racer or an ex-racer, would end up putting too much weight on the inside leg, finding oneself in a difficult posture and with the risk of losing control over the external ski...
Side note, my bro-in-law, ex- skater, has taken on skiing, and to help him with an easy start I equipped him with an ultra short adult ski (Voelkl RTM 7.4 in 135 cm), to put him as near as possible in a known/familiar equipment situation. It has worked well. Same for my wife, so much that now I have trouble convincing her to get back on "normal length" skis. I had purchased those skis to use them as a "learning tool" , not to ski them all day...
(edited, italic shows the correction done)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online