• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Backcountry in France

KenX

Powseeker
Industry Insider
I'm based in Serre Chevalier in the Hautes-Alpes, France, normally our lifts would have been running for 4 weeks now, but thanks to Covid-19 all the lift-served fun is on hold until our infection rates come down.......
Luckily for myself and a few friends, we're keen ski-tourers and know our way around the resort and surrounding area pretty well!
Couple of pics to brighten your day:

0D4727C1-794B-4002-BFD6-5984FDD90629.jpeg
DFAAC3ED-4B3A-4C3A-98A5-8D0B62E260A9_1_201_a.jpeg
A2F23581-74EB-4120-A2C1-EFC564A00C00_1_201_a.jpeg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been watching pictures from that area lately. Very jealous of the snow!
I love the area, used to go kayaking there every summer(25 years ago). We went back for some family time with hiking, summer of 2019.
It’s on my shortlist for a winter visit some time when we can travel again.

Last edited:
TS
KenX

KenX

Powseeker
Industry Insider
Slim, we get absolutely rammed with kayakers every June when the meltwater is in full swing, mostly Brits though bizarrely........

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm based in Serre Chevalier in the Hautes-Alpes, France

Awesome! Very high on my list for next season, seems much more laid back than Courchevel. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Do you happen to know Mr. Darren Turner? A ski instructor, quite good one but I am not sure if he is still in Serre Chevalier or has moved.

TS
KenX

KenX

Powseeker
Industry Insider
Hi Tony! Yes, Darren's a friend of mine, also Davina his sister who's also an instructor!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Tony! Yes, Darren's a friend of mine

Great!

Please send him the best wishes, sincere gratitude and appreciation of someone who owes much of his skiing abilities to Darren's instructional videos. I'd really like him to know how much his efforts are appreciated and how much has he done for thousands of people around the world.
Great, great guy!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our good friends' daughter is working and living near Chamonix as a chemical engineer. Growing up here in PA she was a skilled snowboarder, and as a teenager and college student I've skied with her many times in the Poconos and at Killington. Now she is taking up backcountry so she was had to learn to ski. Here she is at the top of La Clusaz after skinning up with her boyfriend. His family are long-time Chamonix skiers, it's in their DNA! We've been invited to visit anytime with the promise to show us around. I don't speak French, and my Italian is old and rusty.
1609957662021.png

TS
KenX

KenX

Powseeker
Industry Insider
Today's jolly was on the Briançon side of the ski area, we left a car at Puy St André and then drove to Puy St Pierre, where we hiked up to round about the bottom of the Rocher Blanc chairlift, then skied down to Puy St André in some sweet sun-softened powder :D

TS
KenX

KenX

Powseeker
Industry Insider
We've had very little snow here so far this season, but luckily it's been v cold so has held up!
Went up the Vallée de Clarée to ski the N facing slopes there, hiked up to the village of Granon and then on another 300m vert, so 850m in total.
Snow was ok......
3BB1DA5E-B8B8-4E5A-9FDB-4330BC7E396B.jpeg
5176C655-EEE5-4CA3-A969-91CAF8133173.jpeg

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I have zero to contribute to this thread, but thanks!

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing.

TS
KenX

KenX

Powseeker
Industry Insider
Out with Co-editor Gav and his 2 Jack Russel terriers yesterday, first spring snow of the season, 13km of approach in total, but worth it! Gav filming with the Gopro Max 360.........

Sponsor

Staff online