• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Backcountry in France

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am in the French pyrenees near bareges.
I like the pyrenees over the alps because.

Much lower avalanche danger, like Tahoe vs colorado.

Many many couloirs that are much less skied than in the alps, untracked powder weeks aftera storm

Lower objective dangers, like no glaciers.

I skied the alps many times, but i prefer the pyrenees, for lift accessed couloir skiing, or even after the resorts close, because the access is 30 minutes or so vs hours.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am in the French pyrenees near bareges.
I like the pyrenees over the alps because.

Much lower avalanche danger, like Tahoe vs colorado.

Many many couloirs that are much less skied than in the alps, untracked powder weeks aftera storm

Lower objective dangers, like no glaciers.

I skied the alps many times, but i prefer the pyrenees, for lift accessed couloir skiing, or even after the resorts close, because the access is 30 minutes or so vs hours.

Looks like a sweet spot, with the TDF as a bonus in summer. Count me jealous!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today, soum du marraut couloir, on my list for s few years.
dust on ice though.
IMG_20210415_102638.jpg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To bad about the less than stellar conditions* @Rod9301 , but it sure looks beautiful!

*Assuming it was a very thin layer of dust. A few inches of dust-on-crust is great skiing for me (although probably sloughs off in the steep terrain you ski).

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was a few ventilated
To bad about the less than stellar conditions* @Rod9301 , but it sure looks beautiful!

*Assuming it was a very thin layer of dust. A few inches of dust-on-crust is great skiing for me (although probably sloughs off in the steep terrain you ski).
it was a few cms of powder on top of ice, and pretty steep, so it was unnerving. Made it though.

Sponsor

Staff online