• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordic Backcountry Is Now Backcountry and Nordic

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the expectation of more nordic skiing this winter we added Nordic to the title here along with a Nordic prefix. If we find that there is a significant anount of activity, we will break Nordic into it's own forum.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Pineland today for an old man trail run and to pick up my season pass. The woman at the desk and I chatted briefly about their planning for the upcoming season. She asked what I thought. I said "I think you're gonna be slammed." She said, "Yeah, so do I."

That assumes snow, of course, which is assuming a lot.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Nordic skiing no good in pow, il pass :roflmao:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
we call it Langrenn :D
Interior wall in my house. Still love the look and feel of hickory skis.

20201116_111546-02.jpeg

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
haha ! awesome! thoose used to be hotshit for my parents still only has wooden skis! Im getting my dad new fancy ones for christmas since hes now retired and will do more of it with grandkids. grandkids are racers on langrenn, literally.

Langrenn for us is a huge thing, same with skiskyting (biathlon)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordic skiing no good in pow, il pass :roflmao:
Are we actually going to pretend that it's a true statement?
Actually the shrug smiley was my polite way of saying to Colorado guy, "Bite me, with your reliable powder." :ogbiggrin: If I waited for powder days to go skiing, I wouldn't have much of a season. And perhaps that's where @Slim was going with his comment. Sometimes when the the snow on the mountain is uninspiring there is a lot to be said for getting out for a few km on the skinny skis. Especially if you can sneak it in on a work day!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Now we r talkin'

:ogbiggrin:

Dood, we've been down this meadow before

(And yes, I did get the MegaPows)

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In case anyone might assume that's me, it's not. I totally stole it from the interwebs. (I can make a tele turn, but it's not likely to be pretty, barring idiot-proof conditions.) The point is to illustrate my old fashioned idea that a nordic ski outing can be many things, all on the same day, using the same generalist gear. Those wood skis from up thread are actually not bad at turns like the above as long as the snow is not crazy deep or icy. My skate skis, on the other hand ...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually the shrug smiley was my polite way of saying to Colorado guy, "Bite me, with your reliable powder." :ogbiggrin: If I waited for powder days to go skiing, I wouldn't have much of a season. And perhaps that's where @Slim was going with his comment. Sometimes when the the snow on the mountain is uninspiring there is a lot to be said for getting out for a few km on the skinny skis. Especially if you can sneak it in on a work day!
Yes, that’s exactly what I meant.
  • No new snow? Icy hardpack? = great skate skiing.
  • a few inches of fresh, followed by a week of well below zero F(-18C) temps? great classic skiing
  • foot of powder? Ungroomed DH skiing
  • slushy melt down? Moguls baby!
I like torens ways to enjoy every thing as much as possible