• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Backcountry ski options

clewis

Booting up
Skier
I'll be looking at a new bc ski during the off season so I thought I'd start a thread on what people are skiing and how they like them for backcountry. If this topic is going on elsewhere on SKITALK please direct me.

I'm currently on K2 Wayback 104's with Dynafit speed TLT 10. Really enjoy them but they have seen better days.

Some skis that have peaked my curiosity as a replacement....

New K2 Wayback 106
Blizzard Zero G 105
Armada Tracer 108

Love to hear what everyone else is enjoying.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the the new Wayback 106, got them last spring, thinking I’d still get a week in Utah and a 3 day weekend in CO in that year.....

So, I have only used them a bit so far. Not the greatest for damping/suspension over frozen chatter. Not great for finishing turns with strong grip in the tails (not surprising given the tail rocker and taper).

Very nice and light, loose enough, good support forward (186cm), decent edgehold on ice, fun lively short radius turns.

Will let you know more after next weeks Montana trip!

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Can you describe what conditions are terrain you expect or simply looking for one touring set up?

I'm in Colorado and ski Black Crows Atris Birdie w/ Marker Alpinist and Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 115W. Certainly not the lightest, but very comfortable. I've tried very light set ups in the past and it just sacrificed too much on the downhill for me; not because I'm skiing very aggressively, but I lost a lot of feel and confidence in difficult conditions. When I first started like many people I had very heavy set ups, mid weight is my preference now. I can't imagine going heavier now unless it was for a very specific purpose or trip.

I've also finally found a tech binding I like so pairing that with a midweight ski and boot has been a good combo for me.

Lastly my recommendation is think about skis you like with regard to shape, flex, rocker profile and pick a ski you know you like or something similar. Personally I don't love "touring" skis, so I usually go towards alpine skis that are light enough to tour on :)

Not extremely light, but might want to put Volkl Blaze 106 on your radar. Also more playful skis like 4frnt Raven and Moment Wildcat Tour 108, light enough to tour, but still ski pretty well.

TS
clewis

clewis

Booting up
Skier
@SkiFiore

I ski in the Canadian Rockies. See all kinds of conditions. Looking for one ski. I wish I had the money for a quiver of bc skis.

I plan to put my current Dynifit binding on it or a new Dynafit not sure yet.

4frnt was another ski recommended to me.

@Analisa

Thanks for that feedback. Good to know the Zero G runs a little stiff.

What are you riding?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tracers & Waybacks are more forgiving & surfier than the Zero G. Zero G demands a more forward stance and has a really strong flex.
Yep. I’ve got some Zero G 108s, love ‘em most of the time, but sometimes I haul out some much softer BD Drifts for easier riding.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What are you riding?

Great question. Have an older Pandora 95 that I've mostly grown out of, and the craigslist gods came through with a pair of Wailer Alchemist 112s that a little wider and a little heavier than I was hoping, but together as a quiver, they're not bad.

I had been looking at the Wayback 106 & Trace 108 in addition to some of the others in that mid-100s class when I thought I was going to go new.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use the Momen Deathwish tour with alpinists on most of my backcountry days. I ski the rockies, but prefer rogers pass.

I has the zero g 105, but I sold them. They really weren't for me. They were good on hard snow and alright on powder, but really tough in breakable crust.

My partner uses the 4frnt raven on most tours.

Im biased, but I think 4frnt and moment have nice touring lines.

They are pretty different from the k2s though. What did you like about the k2s? What would you like to change?

If you would like to stick with a lightweight tradionally shaped ski, check out ski uphill in Canmore. They have a good selection, including the waybacks

TS
clewis

clewis

Booting up
Skier
@Mike Rogers

I like the weight of the skis, but am totally fine with something slightly heavier. They preform well in most conditions. A little challenging on harder surfaces and crud. This also has a little bit to do with my abilities(intermediate to advanced). I do find them a little stiff. Maybe something slightly softer would be beneficial to my skiing.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I now got 4 days of spring skiing on my Wayback 106, 186cm, in addion to the inbounds days and the little bit of powder skiing I had on them.
My impressions did not change, and I think the Blister review of them is probably more helpful than my comments.

I did read it is quite a bit different from the old versions.

One thing I noticed from their review, is that the Atomic Backland 105 seemed geared at the same type of skier/use, yet performed worse in some cases, and yet never better in others.

Basically, it is a lightweight, fairly stiff (but not crazily so) ski with tip and tail taper and rocker, and minimal camber under the rest of the ski.

Float/soft snow performance is good. Breakable crust was probably as good as it gets (which is to say, with my lack of skills, not very).
Decent grip on ice, but no strong carving turn finish, if that’s what you want.
Super fun in corn (but what isn’t?)
Supportive when running over old tracks in corn snow (pretty long length and rearward mount point combined with supportive stiffness in front of the boot).

I suspect the Tracer 108 is fairly similar but heavier, so the choice between the two might be as simple as weight.

If you want more grip, less loose feel from the tail, there are other skis out there that provide that, with a non-rockered, straighter tail.

Sponsor