• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Balaclava for bald guy (using helmet)

Hawk45

Beginner Clydesdale
Skier
To all my follically challenged compadres out there. What balaclava do you recommend to keep the head warm (not hot as I perspire quite a bit), and still fits under a helmet? My helmet is pretty snug right now, so thinking bulk my make it not fit (or I get a new helmet).
Thanks all!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
To all my follically challenged compadres out there. What balaclava do you recommend to keep the head warm (not hot as I perspire quite a bit), and still fits under a helmet? My helmet is pretty snug right now, so thinking bulk my make it not fit (or I get a new helmet).
Thanks all!

Cycling-thickness balaclavas are usually pretty durn good about helmet fit. I use Bontrager Windshell, Bontrager B3 and Sugoi MidZero, mostly dependent on laundry status.

Herself likes a thicker cloth and uses Blackstrap. https://bsbrand.com/ (With her haircut she has less hair than I do).

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
DeSoto cycling one (Skin cooler Beanie) is thin and very, very good wicking - use it biking in Bangkok to keep the sweat from running in to my eyes...
https://www.desotosport.com/collections/headwear/products/skin-cooler-helmet-beanie

For cold weather - really cold weather - I use a Dissent Balaclava, full face job which is warm and comfortable while still thin, doesn't fog goggles or freeze over at the mouth somehow... (Their Nano tour socks are fantastic too - very high compression though if you don't like that)
https://www.dissentlabs.com/collections/all/products/milspec-balaclava

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Thin Merino wool. A cap for the milder days, hood for the colder days. Or maybe a light weight synthetic cap or hood for mild days.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a fellow bald headed guy, I always wear a a kerchief on my head or a cotton print do-rag, because I hate sweating in my helmet. When its cold I have several very thin thinsulate balaclavas, just enough to keep the cold off my face. I like to change them out at lunch. Breathing through them all morning renders them cold and clammy in the afternoon

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been using a neck gaiter (Icebreaker flexi chute) pulled up over my ears. I’m been fogging goggles wearing anything on my head. I’ve opened pit vents, used a beanie with and without a gaiter, and now to the gaiter only.
Today I loosened my helmet on the lift and think I may try a different beanie while loosening helmet.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I use cheap liners meant for use under hardhats, something like these or these however I have not tried those brands personally. The fit is key so what I like to do is order one and see how it fits, if it's a success I then order several more and can carry extras with me to swap out when they get sweaty. At that price point they're easy to keep around in jacket pockets, truck consoles, and the like to have a backup hat option because you know, we're bald.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
On milder days I use either the Smartwool or Serius Beanies. They are both thin but add some warmth. For colder days I use the Blackstrap balaclava. https://bsbrand.com/ They have two different weights (single & dual layer) and either hinged or not. I use the Expedition which is dual layer hinged and find it not too thick wearing under a helmet.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Mons Royale make a great range of comfortable and warm merino balaclavas. The hinged ones give some nice versatility. And there's a wide range of looks too.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While I personally have not joined the club, my dad has. His solution is to close the vents and grow a beard, it works for him. When it gets really cold he will put his hood up over his helmet.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I rock a beard too

Years ago I would grow an annual winter beard....and then they invented neck tubes. I even wear a light weight buff on warm spring days.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear a buff and just pull it up and over the top on the colder days. I like it because I can wear it as a neck gaiter, lower face, or up and over. My mug.
20181208_092130.jpg

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear a buff and just pull it up and over the top on the colder days. I like it because I can wear it as a neck gaiter, lower face, or up and over.

I actually wear my balaclava, and a neck gaiter, most non-spring days. Since the balaclava is thin, it provides options for covering my face.

Sponsor