• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Balaclava for bald guy (using helmet)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If room is limited, nothing beats silk, IMO.

I hope the above is a weakly held opinion.

At -18*C/0*F I have walked outside with only a thin expensive silk glove liner on one hand and a thin inexpensive metallic thread glove liner on the other hand. It takes about 15 seconds to realize that the extra $ for silk is for the soft comfortable feel, not heat retention properties.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have been out of the market for a balaclava and have not kept up with prices. What do these things sell for nowadays? I found one by Hurley in a very ugly green but the price seems very good. What are your thoughts anybody?
Edit.
I found it in another color that will match a jacket I own and not ugly, so I just purchased it, thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it's east coast sub 10 below zero F ...... nothing beats this. Wifey who gets cold below 50 F degrees swears by this thing and I love it as it directs your breath downwards so no fogging ever:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a good run last winter with a Phunkshun Ballerclava.

No, I am not making up the spelling of either of those words! :geek:

They've redesigned it this year and call it the Kombu Ballerclava.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I've a cycling/moto ballerclaver (like spelling so I'm adopting it) that cost buttons from the aisle of random delights in a local supermarket. Usuallly wear a buff though unless it's super cold.

Fun additional fact - the Crimean War also gave us The Thin Red Line as well as this

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I am a big fan of the OR products in this area. Have several but currently use the Essentials Balaclava as that replaced the need for a mask if required in lift lines ... etc

migdriver

Out on the slopes
Skier
I find cycling skull caps with or without ear flaps work well. Personally have a couple made by Assos… one with ear protection , one without to cover all temps.
If you go on Competitive Cyclist web site they have a number by different makes , different weights, designs , fabrics, etc for cycling in cold weather from winter to early spring. And, they’re all designed to fit under a helmet.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I had a good run last winter with a Phunkshun Ballerclava.

No, I am not making up the spelling of either of those words! :geek:

They've redesigned it this year and call it the Kombu Ballerclava.
Is that a single thin layer? Or thick? It shows up as fleece-lined in their site, but looks like a single layer.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have hair, but also a tall skinny neck, so wear a thin balaclava most of winter. I actually shave off my bear, so it doesn’t rub/get itchy on my balaclava.
I have both the lined and unlined BlackStrap ones. I like the separate chin piece, and I like that that is lined on the chin in both.
What I don’t like so much about the unlined one is the fabric. It is high elasthane, slick material, like a rashguard. Not thr nieces against the skin, and not the best wicking.
It’s not horrible, just unexpecte, and less nice than any others.

I also have a Smartwool lightweight merino, but of course, the don’t make that anymore.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've tried them all... Unless it's REALLY cold like 10 below with wind an old school Doo rag "Durag" is hands down the best.. The tie down is nice and flat, material thin and breathable and wicks moisture away really well. I've got several different colors.. Traditional neck gator for the chin down.. Easier to take off if warms up.. Also might need to go with mask if warmer and required in lift line.. So, doo rag under helmet.

1637764748967.png

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wear an under armor skullcap under every helmet I wear, ie ski, bike and motorcycle. I’m really cold days I have a silk type gator that covers my head and face.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that a single thin layer? Or thick? It shows up as fleece-lined in their site, but looks like a single layer.

Both. I've got one of each. I think they are now called the Kombu Ballerclava (thin) and Hybrid Ballerclava (thicker).

Truly lousy website, but great product IMO.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I wear an under armor skullcap under every helmet I wear, ie ski, bike and motorcycle. I’m really cold days I have a silk type gator that covers my head and face.
I've got a couple of those like football players wear under their helmets. I have a small head though so they creep down my forehead and bother my eyes when I try them under the helmet. Doo rag lets me set the size perfectly with the excess hanging down the back tail..

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only balaclavas I can tolerate are those that leave the nose AND mouth free. All the others I cant breathe properly in, that's first and second-my goggles/glasses fog like crazy.

Like the Castelli one I use for cycling.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hawk, would you do best with two head coverings? Because you sweat a lot, how about a mesh beanie like this one from a motorcycle shop? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/evs-sweat-beanie?sku_id=151630

For colder weather you have a multitude of choices depending on how much warmth you want and how much coverage you want. You could get a warm beanie or a balaclava with a lot of coverage. The choice is totally individual. I'm bald; I don't want any covering most days. When it's colder I wear a thin poly fleece climbing helmet liner beanie. When it's frigid I wear a balaclava with full coverage. I may wear a Buff around my neck but rarely over my face...that's just my preference.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The fact that there are two pages of unique opinions to your question is astonishing to me. I feel like if someone solved this question with just one answer, they'd become a very wealthy person.

However if it were me, I'd just buy a hoody. Either Patagonia Tech 1 or 2, Smartwool Medium, Patagonia Capilene Air or Patagonia Nano Air. They are all designed to fit under helmet seemlessly and serve two purposes. Depends how thick you want coverage.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I am not folically challenged but
-Lots of people here use a buff, not even doubled over.
-In my backpack kit there is always room for a silk balaclava (usually employed by motorcyclist in winter), thin enough and warm enough
This said, I would like to get one of those helicopter/aircraft beanies that are worn under a flight helmet.
I recently bought a kids beanie whose fabric (and thickness) is akin to a doubled over Buff.
Althought I bought it with the intention to use it under the skiing helmet, in replacement of the aging silk balaclava, never go to use it.

Sponsor

Staff online