• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Barn Find: 1976 Datsun 280Z with 350 Miles

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thee was a 67 (? maybe older) Mustang convertable like that in a garage at a neighbor's house when I was in high school. Guy bought it for his wife, who never learned to drive it (stick). It had exactly 51 miles on the odometer when I saw it in their garage 1982. I doubt it made it 44 years before they sold it or started driving it. IIRC, they were asking $25K for it back then as is and had people interested.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty cool. Just crazy the car was never driven or sold in all those years.

This paper was in the trunk. I looked it up, and they would have been talking about the July 1977 All Star Game at Yankee Stadium. He didn’t start.
In an incredibly unpopular, and never forgiven trade, Seaver went to the Reds in June that year. He got a huge ovation returning to NY that July night, pitched the 6th and 7th, and gave up 3 runs. NL still won, 7-5.

FE07FCAA-0642-4DD2-B6FD-992218970BEA.png

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I know someone here is a detailer for high end cars. Curious as to what they’d think about “wash” then right to power polish.

you do realize that washing probably reactivated the usual rusting out in a year
If it was an English car, the rust is activated at the factory and there’d be a pile of plastic.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’ve been detailing for 33 years now and the steps taken in that video were cautious steps making sure to not cause any damage as you never know the true conditions of things on an older car. As mentioned in the video, sometimes cars that are left untouched like this are going to be far less scratched than those that are dry dusted off by the owner over the years.
This car had lots of ground in dirt so the pre-soaking before wiping off is key to prevent new scratches. I might have just foamed the car first and then used a wide, gentle spray, low psi power washer to rinse it off a bit first but their method seemed to work okay too.

The car probably has single stage paint(no clear coat) I assume with it’s age and find that even a mild polish can remove ground in dirt if there aren’t many scratches. They could have tried a clay bar in between washing and polishing steps but the polishing stage would honestly be more effective on ground in dirt anyway. A mild polish and pad used on a random orbital buffer, so not aggressive polishing at all. If there was oxidation or deep scratches, you’d have to use more aggressive compounds/polishes/pads and more polishing stages.

After polishing, then you would apply some sort of wax/sealant/ceramic coating which would provide better protection than it’s ever had. The previous dirt would have “sealed” it a bit but a proper sealant after cleaning would be even better. If this vehicle was left outside all those years, it would have had major paint oxidation and fading and all the rubber pieces etc would be in rough shape.
Old single stage cars are fun to do as it’s unreal how much better they can look with a polish to remove the years of oxidation. If it’s kept clean and out of the sun in the future it will still look great in years to come after polishing and protecting.

Btw-Some old British cars can look okay if you’ve got a detailing guy!

CDFEE797-67CF-45C7-A7AD-09427DB60228.jpeg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty cool and some what timely. The kid got the ok to purchase Gma's 79 280ZXR and plans to update it and drive it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is on Bring a Trailer now.

Reactions: Ron

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
"
Current BidUSD $90,000

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I had a 71 Datsun 240Z . That’s the original! Drove it for 25 years & about 250k miles.
A guy drove my 240, a 260 & a 280 at my work and said mine ran the best. Took it skiing a lot in PA & VT while living in MD. Rust took it’s toll. :)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just thought of this thread and wondered what it ending up going for-$140,000!
Wow!!
I thought it would pull more. I was expecting over 200K

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was in the market for a car when the 240Z first came out. Hard to get due to demand and most dealers were marking the price up. Ended up getting a Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 in fire engine red.

Sponsor