• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Baselayer recommendations?

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Hi guys,

Saw a great thread about midlayers but haven't seen one about baselayers. I need to pick some up and was wondering what everyone uses/recommends. I've currently got a North Face shell and a Campor Windban fleece for my outer and midlayers, respectively. Cheaper is better but I'm definitely willing to spend more if it's worth the money. I've heard Costco has some good, budget wool baselayers. I'll be skiing mostly in California - typically in Tahoe.

What do you guys think?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Shameless plug....err pug...

Here is @Started at 53 showing off the official Pugski.com support swag 1/4 zip...

7f062c16-51df-4434-92c2-91db97bcfb46-jpeg.33900

If you cannot afford the full *Carbon* Support level, we can design a package that fits your budget https://forum.pugski.com/account/donate

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're really looking for cheap, anything that is a decent tech/wicking material will be fine. I wore these for a few seasons of occasional skiing, $15 each :

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-long-sleeve-tech-t-shirt-c9-champion-174/-/A-51116935

Now I find I really like Under Armour Cold Gear, like this :

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-coldgear-infrared-tactical-fitted-crew/pcid1244394-290

Note that's not part of their "base layer" series of shirts... I think those are generally thinner and a different material - more like a typical silk or polyester base shirt. But UA's product line is confusing.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not cheap, but you save in the end -- and they are the ONLY baselayers worth talking about: Smartwool. You can find them on sale if you google for awhile; I have three midweight zip-T's and I've paid about $60 on average.

...I suppose there are other wool baselayers...but I haven't found the combo of warm, dry, and cheap (relatively) anywhere else. I'll wear them three days at a go and they don't stink at all.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
another wool fan.. I have a lot of icebreaker.. pricey but you can find on sale, lasts a long time, no stink, wicks well does not itch..

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
another wool fan.. I have a lot of icebreaker.. pricey but you can find on sale, lasts a long time, no stink, wicks well does not itch..

+1 for Icebreaker. Smartwool is pretty good, but I wind up wearing my Icebreaker base layers much more frequently than I wear my Smartwool base layers.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Smart wool/merino wool os great. If Costco has some base layers made from merino then I am going to go get some. Recently bought a great pair of cold weather hiking pants and a soft shell there. Both are really well made and were really cheap.

I have a Minus 33 top and bottom that are great.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Costco has a lot of Paradox, nice merino under layers. Very cost effective

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Since it is my hometown brand I have to plug Smartwool. You get some good prices if you look around and they are by far my favorites.

On the cheap side I just bought some Terramar tops and bottoms. Great prices at Sierra Trading Post right now ($15.00 and additional discounts can be found) and I've found the military 3.0's to be pretty nice.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I wouldn't be married to Smartwool. When they did away with compact spinning ut created a garment that had a nicer hand, but durability was compromised. If you can find it for a bargain that changes the dynamic.

Icebreaker is top notch. Ibex is going out of business so deals will be available.

Costco's is 80 some % poly and the micron of the Merino is nothing to write home about.

I don't dig UA. It is poly. Nothing special. UA did dummy the marketing message down so consumers understood. They also popularized form fitting baselayers. Most consumers purchase their baselayers like their sweatshirts. Sizing is all wrong.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tahoe is not that cold. I also believe you're still starting out so your finances are not unlimited.

If you want to just get started I suggedt get a couple pairs of wicking baselayer that you would use for other non snow activities and focus on midlayer. it can be sporty brands like your underarmor nike reebok or a also less notable bran. just non cotton and wifking
reasons:
have you skied enough to know if you prefer midlayers or baselayers. and do you like midlayer vests vs fullsleeves? do you know if you overheat or underheat in typically tahoe day?
If your average trip is a weekend, you are going to need 2 sets so you have clean clothes, so getting 2x of stuff you use just for ski days adds up.

calculating that out its a bit of a shame if your ski baselayer just sits in a storage bin for 360days and gets used only 5days out of the year.

Therefore I suggest generic baselayers that at least you can go camping or hiking or to the gym or play sports with the rest of the year.

Even if its suboptimal for skiing it's good enough. if you use it for other activities and wear it completely out you've fully used it.

That being said
I agree the stp terramar thermal is a great buy, and i have several. I also suggest take a look at the terramar body sensors as a generic workout tshirt (i have about 10 of these, and use in spring).

if you just want to spend, sure go nuts and get patagonia or smartwool have at it. However as long as you have some non cotton baselayer you are good enough until you optimize a whole lot of other things (e.g. save the money for more midlayer options, or gloves, or goggles)

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Uniqlo :micdrop:

cmackvt

Putting on skis
Skier
+2 Icebreaker, I have Minus 33 and Smartwool but always grab the Icebreaker first. Their website used to offer great deals from time to time. Not so many lately, but still worth watching.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I jumped on this thread because I have a question concerning a base layer.
Has anyone tried the Copper Fit base layer shirt? Or any of their other products that could be used for skiing?

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Uniqlo Heat tech are great budget base layers.