• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I posted a couple of months ago the thread about is it worth it to wax kids skis.

So I ordered a big bar of purl (purple all temp wax).

Now I need to get an iron and some tools.

I am a hands on do it your selfer and will just be edging and waxing my and my kids skis, we are just recreational skiers in the sf bay area who will get in 8-10 days a year at tahoe, figure 3 or so trips and 2-3 days per trip.

I am thinking of getting the following, let me know if I am missing anything. Also if there is something else that you recommend over what I list please share.

Also I would just like to get one Stone File and one Gummi Stone. If I am just getting one of each what grit or hardness should I get of each? Stone File ( medium or coarse), Gummi (soft, hard , extra hard)

Lastly, I am going to snowbomb this weekend in SF, will they sell this type of stuff there or should I just order from amazon and or ebay?

Iron
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N58QV72/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294XG7XO6RCUT

Brushes (set of 3?)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045SPI6Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A344OI9G4A0JZ9

Stone File
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWFPTC0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KIAV0W3JR8JV

Gummi Stone
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swix-Gummi...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Scraper
https://www.amazon.com/XCMAN-Freeri...509680867&sr=1-2&keywords=plastic+wax+scraper

Vise - maybe I will spend some $ and get a vise set, is this a good choice?
https://www.amazon.com/RaceWax-Worl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RBYK36QG214RHQ0NE9PF

am I missing anything?

Thanks!!!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
On the vise, they only stretch to 90mm, what are your ski waist widths? You may need to grab the bindings with the vise if the skis are wider. There are vises that go wider out there.

Also you need guides for your stones. If the whole family has a 2° side bevel, then it's an easy choice, get a fixed guide, not an adjustable, they are better. Otherwise, it might be best to look for a guide with "shims" to adjust the angle rather than an adjustable guide. And stay away from guides with rollers. I started with them, but short version no longer use then.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Poor man pays twice. I would suggest maybe a heavier/better iron (Confession I have one that's about 100 years old and not ski specific). Get some good solid metal file/stone guides. Get one of each of the side angles you are going to be setting (e.g. 3 degrees, 2 degrees, etc.).

Also you should have two metal files, fine and coarse (and a file card to keep it clean).

The vise really makes things a lot easier.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Poor man pays twice. I would suggest maybe a heavier/better iron (Confession I have one that's about 100 years old and not ski specific). Get some good solid metal file/stone guides. Get one of each of the side angles you are going to be setting (e.g. 3 degrees, 2 degrees, etc.).

Also you should have two metal files, fine and coarse (and a file card to keep it clean).

The vise really makes things a lot easier.

I subscribe to the camp that metal files aren't needed the majority of the time. I have a shop setup my edge angles, and then I maintain my edges using a 200 and a 400 grit diamond stone. I pull out the metal files maybe once a year.

The OP is just starting out learning to tune. The amount of "ooops" you can do with a diamond stone is minimal compared to what an "ooops" with a metal file can do.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
I subscribe to the camp that metal files aren't needed the majority of the time. I have a shop setup my edge angles, and then I maintain my edges using a 200 and a 400 grit diamond stone. I pull out the metal files maybe once a year.

The OP is just starting out learning to tune. The amount of "ooops" you can do with a diamond stone is minimal compared to what an "ooops" with a metal file can do.
Correct - I am just looking to get one diamond stone and one gummy stone as I am just getting started, most of the work will be on my kids 90 cm and 100 cm skis for the first year or so. I am new at this and want to start learning and will graduate to other techniques in the coming years (if necessary).

This being said in my situation should I get a gray (soft),red (hard) or blue (x-hard) gummie stone? And likewise if I was to get just one diamond stone a universal, fine, medium or coarse?

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Correct - I am just looking to get one diamond stone

That's akin to just getting a car with two wheels. Get a coarse, medium and fine stone. You won't always need all three in one session but you'll use them all frequently. Also I didn't see you mention anything about side or base bevel guides. And, unless you know for sure what the base and edge angles are set at, you will need a file (a real file, not a 'diamond file') to set the angle, again using bevel guides.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of skis from a thrift shop for 15 bucks (or even better ask your local ski shop if they have any throw away skis sitting in the back you can have). Crack open a cold one, watch some of @Jacques videos and have fun!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
YOu need a edge file guides. I like this one: http://skivisions.us/1693.html

I use the files with it to set the edges at 1 and 2 on all my skis, then I just use the stones. It's not as accurate as a fixed file guide, but it's OK for me. Those stones are cheaper than diamond stones and they can be dressed flat so they last a long time.

You're gonna need to trim back the plastic above the edge. I use a skyver but some guys can get it done with a drywall knife or even a single edge razor.

I structure the base with medium grit emory paper wrapped around a steel tube. If the bases are worse than that I take them to a shop for a stone grind.

I also gave up on vises. Every time I bought one it wouldn't work on my next pair of skis. This is way easier to use and works well with every every ski and snowboard I've ever seen:
ski bench.jpg

When I hot wax I use my Mom's best iron, and I remove excess wax with fiberlene so I don't scrape much at all. Theoretically I hot wax every 3 days, but actually I just use liquid wax whenever my skis feel sticky.

None of that will bring your skis to a race tune, but most of my skiing now is more about smashing roots, rocks and stumps. YMMV.

dm

Attachments

• ski bench.jpg
    ski bench.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
After I thought about all the tools I've bought and replaced over the years, I think if I were starting over I just might get a Razor Tune and call it good.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid