• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Basin Sports at Killington Acquired by Ski Essentials

https://www.skiessentials.com/

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I see that Basin has been acquired by Ski Essentials. I used Basin to have my last pair of boots fitted and was very pleased with the experience. I have heard that some Killington regulars have had issues with Basin's past ownership, so I suppose this is a good step forward. Would you like to comment on what the Killington community can expect from Basin and Ski Essentials in the future?

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had remembered reading this somewhere previously - looks like it happened last summer.

TS
Marker

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had remembered reading this somewhere previously - looks like it happened last summer.

Thanks, I must have missed that announcement over the summer, but don't think it was publicized here at Killington so that I noticed before.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Well, you should probably Google 'Former owner of Basin Ski Shop'.
Start with that horrifying information, then ask yourselves "what kind of person goes out of their way to knowingly do business with that person?"

The answer is the father and son that own SE. That's who.

I guess look on the bright side if you're a Killington skier, they'll legally be allowed to sell children's gear? (sad trombone)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Well, you should probably Google 'Former owner of Basin Ski Shop'.
Start with that horrifying information, then ask yourselves "what kind of person goes out of their way to knowingly do business with that person?"

I guess look on the bright side if you're a Killington skier, they'll legally be allowed to sell children's gear? (sad trombone)
Ugh that's horrible. But I personally (a) don't have reasons to believe that the new owners new the story, (b) the timing of events and (c) i dont think buying a business from someone implies any association.

In short, I dont agree with part of what you said, Mike, but I appreciate the data. Horrible. And I don't believe sex offenders are ever low risk. Sigh.

PeteH

Booting up
Skier
The sale was pretty well known last summer when they were having a 40% off everything sale and all the employees were talking about it. I picked up some some great deals at the time. Had no idea of the owners criminal past !

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski Essentials has some killer deals on skis right now.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
...then ask yourselves "what kind of person goes out of their way to knowingly do business with that person?"

I am not understanding what you are saying, but they (SE) purchased the Basin - from the former owner who spent considerable time in jail for crimes. Did he still own the business or did someone else own it, such as his wife?

I don't see how this plays in with the transaction. The "evil doer" is out and a reputable company takes over.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't see how this plays in with the transaction. The "evil doer" is out and a reputable company takes over.

I kind of see where you're going with this - people who can provide service to the public did it in the least fussy way possible.

But it doesn't get rid of the emotional ick. *checks shower soap ingredient list for antifungal agents*

TS
Marker

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, most are discussed by the whole situation, but SE acquiring the Basin helps turn the page. As I see it, it's a new day.
This is how I see it. I learned of the situation after I had bought my boots and was not thrilled. I hope SE bargained a good deal so as not to enrich the previous owner(s) too much.

I was really hoping to hear from SE on how Killington skiers can more easily access their services via the Basin store rather than going online. Will this affect Basin's brand selection compared to Pinnacle/SE?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I personally am delighted that a first class operation like Ski Essentials is taking over the Basin. Why this purchase bothers some people makes zero sense to me.
Because people want to see the shop go bankrupt, so owners don’t get a dime. It’s not about SE.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid