• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Basin Sports at Killington Acquired by Ski Essentials

https://www.skiessentials.com/

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I personally am delighted that a first class operation like Ski Essentials is taking over the Basin. Why this purchase bothers some people makes zero sense to me.
It makes zero sense because it's a ridiculous position.

The guy I purchased my ski condo from turned out to be a criminal and first class scumbag. I didn't know that until after I bought it, but even if I did, it would have made zero difference to me. It's not like I was setting up a long term collaboration with the guy or asking him to be my friend. He had something I wanted, I bought it, and I'll hopefully never have to interact with him again.

I don't see how Ski Essentials buying a business is any different.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The original owner of Basin is no longer running the shop so in my eyes that's the big win for everyone. It would have never occurred to me to paint SE in a negative light for purchasing the shop and helping everyone who goes there to move on.

James

Out There
Instructor
What happened in the 15 years since the original sentence of the Basin owner?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
What happened in the 15 years since the original sentence of the Basin owner?
His wife and daughter continued to run the business in his absence. After he got out of jail he stayed in the background but continued to run the business. We saw less of him during the winters as he hung out in his Utah condo more of the time.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
I know the background story. That's in the past, I'm glad to hear SE has a well located shop close to numerous skiers who can benefit from SE.

Good Luck to them, I've been buying, on-line, from SE since 2014. I've been enjoying their weekly emails since then.

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Because people want to see the shop go bankrupt, so owners don’t get a dime.

And all the employees get thrown out on the street?
And all the satisfied customers get left high and dry?

Makes zero sense to me.

It’s not about SE.

It is about SE from now on.
Which is for the best for everyone involved!

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
I welcome this change. From what I've heard, staff gets profit sharing too which is very cool @SkiEssentials Don't ever change that model. The Basin staff are good people and I'm happy for them.

Late to the party here, sorry. We're really happy to be working with the Basin staff. A lot of great people there. Previous owners aren't involved in any capacity anymore, but we retained the rest of the staff, at least most of them, as is my understanding. It's been a lot of fun getting to know the crew down there and working with them more closely. We had a bunch of Basin employees at our annual Ski Test last week.

I'm glad you mentioned profit sharing, as this came up in a personal conversation just the other day. We actually have revenue sharing, which IMO, is even cooler!

Appreciate the discussion in this thread. If anyone has other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Jeff

TS
Marker

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been looking for a narrower all mountain ski that is good in the moguls and have been eyeing the Brahma 82 in 180 cm. I stopped in Basin earlier this week while visiting my condo for our HOA meeting and got a nice deal on this ski equipped with Atomic-branded Strive 14 in blue that closely matches the skis. I went a little shorter than normal, which is usually the longest length of a given ski, to get a shorter turn radius (16 m) and quicker response. The staff was pretty minimal given the dead time of the season, but very helpful and got these turned around fast.

Sponsor