• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Don't question your choice. I've had both the 175 and the 182 AX. The 175 is more versatile, while the 182 was much more single minded. In my case, I discovered that the 185 Laser GS did everything my 182 AX did, but the GS was more capable everywhere--so the 182 AX went bye bye.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
By far my favorite ski of this bunch is the 181cm Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti (the 174 is also OK, but note that the shorter versions of this ski don't work as well, as the turn radius gets too small); just incredibly quick, versatile, smooth, lively, energetic, and capable. As always YMMV....

Dunno about Hero Elite Plus Ti, but if all of a sudden I decide to expand my quiver with Hero Athlete GS, you will know whom to blame. :roflmao:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's you, again! You stay away from me...keep on making me buy new skis. :) :) :)

Well mate, you already have the AX in 175 cm so the solid foundation is laid. Up to you where you want to go from here (if at all), but no pressure, just ski the beauties you have, take your time, frankly speaking there is no real NEED to add anything else for frontside/groomers.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Well mate, you already have the AX in 175 cm so the solid foundation is laid. Up to you where you want to go from here (if at all), but no pressure, just ski the beauties you have, take your time, frankly speaking there is no real NEED to add anything else for frontside/groomers.

I appreciated all your inputs, Tony. I was only questioning the 175 length because of my build and aggressiveness on groomers (184cm/6'1/2" & 96kg/210 lbs). Not being able to demo/rent made the process just a bit more challenging. As @DocGKR pointed out, either would work, but the 175 will be provide more versatility.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I appreciated all your inputs, Tony. I was only questioning the 175 length because of my build and aggressiveness on groomers (184cm/6'1/2" & 96kg/210 lbs). Not being able to demo/rent made the process just a bit more challenging. As @DocGKR pointed out, either would work, but the 175 will be provide more versatility.

You are just a touch taller and a bit heavier than me, you will be perfectly fine and happy with 175, I promise you that.
This ski will do anything you want from them and then some more. Just perhaps change the tune a bit to 1/2 or 1/3 (provided they came at 1.3), I like them the most at 1/3.

Only scenario in which you will want them to be longer is if you want to go above 100 km/h every second run and ski real long turns. Up to 100 they are fine.

Ah yes, one more thing: if you can, try them at +1, even sweeter.

Last edited:

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
You are just a touch taller and a bit heavier than me, you will be perfectly fine and happy with 175, I promise you that.
This ski will do anything you want from them and then some more. Just perhaps change the tune a bit to 1/2 or 1/3 (provided they came at 1.3), I like them the most at 1/3.

Only scenario in which you will want them to be longer is if you want to go above 100 km/h every second run and ski real long turns. Up to 100 they are fine.

Ah yes, one more thing: if you can, try them at +1, even sweeter.

+1? As in 1.0 CM forward on mounting?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am 6' 210lbs--no issues on the 175 AX. If you want them a bit more responsive, put on a race plate.

Every single Stockli I have skied has required moving the binding forward for optimal performance--I don't have to do this with any other skis, including Augment, Atomic, Blizzard, Blossom, Dynastar, Head, Kastle, Liberty, Nordica, Rossignol, Salomon, Volkl.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
I am 6' 210lbs--no issues on the 175 AX. If you want them a bit more responsive, put on a race plate.

Every single Stöckli I have skied has required moving the binding forward for optimal performance--I don't have to do this with any other skis, including Augment, Atomic, Blizzard, Blossom, Dynastar, Head, Kästle, Liberty, Nordica, Rossignol, Salomon, Völkl.

Thanks. Interesting.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Thanks. Interesting.
FYI I am a big guy - 5' 11" and 280# I ski the AX in 175 and have had 0 issues with it. Super versatile and fun carving ski that is great in bumps and crud. Would not want it any longer or shorter.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the AX in 183cm, but I agree with your choice of 175cm and everything being said. I have mine mounted at +1.5 cm from factory line. I have moved them from 0 to +4.0 cm. They work at any mount point in that range. They turn quicker the further forward. You loose a little top end stability as you go forward, but not much. On the line, for the 183 anyway, they have unlimited top end and stability. I prefer them to make a little shorter turn radius and I can barely feel any top end stability reduction at +1.5. For the 175cm, the sweet spot seems to be +1.0 cm forward of the factory line. I also prefer mine tuned to 0.5/3.0, I like the "race ski feel". I would recommend skiing the factory 1.3/2.0 tune and adjust to your preference once its time for a bottom grind. (or sooner if you know what you like for bevels).

I use my skis as my front side daily driver that I can ski anywhere, anytime. I do prefer a wider ski when the snow gets deep and in the spring when the snow turns to mashed potatoes. The skis work in anything, (moguls, trees, ice, steeps) but I find a wider ski is better in the deep and soft. Basically what you would expect for a versatile 78mm wide ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't question your choice. I've had both the 175 and the 182 AX. The 175 is more versatile, while the 182 was much more single minded. In my case, I discovered that the 185 Laser GS did everything my 182 AX did, but the GS was more capable everywhere--so the 182 AX went bye bye.
I own a pair of Laser GS also - love it; and lots of other, longer GS and GS type race or near skis - like you. What you say here would be partly true for me also, if I didn't have an adjustable binding on my 183 Laser AX, and use it for custom mount point changes. At +2 or +2 1/2, what you say here is no longer true for me: the AX 183 becomes more playful and versatile than the Laser GS - also just different feeling and less overlap in use. More capable in some ways - and just different - in a number of ways. Sean Petit turny, when wanted; again, more playful, better off piste, in bumps, and in slush, etc. Very different.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do prefer a wider ski when the snow gets deep and in the spring when the snow turns to mashed potatoes.

Ahh, for this, he will sooner or later buy SR 95 in 184.

1619817259954.png

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. Today I found a wonderful thing about the 175 AX, skiing cream cheese spring snow at Winter Park. (The snow went from cold freeze crust over semi-stiff, then over semi-soft, then to pure, consistent cream cheese type snow run after run, for a few hours or longer, then spring slush in the afternoon.)

What I found was the booster rebound on the 175 gets dampened just right in cream cheese spring snow: the remaining extra boost tones down some and is perfect for those conditions, counteracting the "give" of the soft smooth spread just right. Man, just a wonder - run after run. Just metronome smooth, slightly floating carve, just a treat. Super day.

And there are also so many good, wider skis in both deeper powder/crud, and in spring mashed potatoes, that there's lots to choose from legitimately, besides some Stockli. So much fun. (The list is long.)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If so, much much later. Picked up a pair of 2022 Elan Ripstick 96 Black Edition in 188 (measures 185). Really like them. Will be my "everyday" skis here in Utah.

Nice ski.
As soon as you start skiing the AX, they will be up for sale.
Proceeds to be invested in SR 95. In 184.

Mark my words. ;)