• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I tried something new tonight. Poor man's burnt ends. Chuck roast cut into cubes on the smoker. Get them to 165°, put them in a tin with honey, wrap/cover and take them to 203°ish. Looks good, tastes good, but not very tender. I've lost faith in my 3 different thermometers and will be investing in a Meater. Small pieces are harder to get a good read on. If the thermometer is not exactly right it'll read high.
View attachment 190331
It’s always the thermometers fault. Get a Thermapen. No more excuses.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I tried something new tonight. Poor man's burnt ends. Chuck roast cut into cubes on the smoker. Get them to 165°, put them in a tin with honey, wrap/cover and take them to 203°ish. Looks good, tastes good, but not very tender. I've lost faith in my 3 different thermometers and will be investing in a Meater. Small pieces are harder to get a good read on. If the thermometer is not exactly right it'll read high.
View attachment 190331
It's a chuck roast...suitable for braising and grinding. I've cooked it every way possible and while it has great flavor it will generally be tough but can surprise so I generally stick to braising or grinding.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a chuck roast...suitable for braising and grinding. I've cooked it every way possible and while it has great flavor it will generally be tough but can surprise so I generally stick to braising or grinding.
The guy on FB made it sound great! :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is what I put on the grill tonight. Chops cut from a pork tenderloin.
PXL_20230326_231204925.MP~2.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm wondering what suggestion people have in keeping the lid of my (free on the side of the road) Weber grill clean on the outside. I've used this maybe a 20 - 30 times. It was clean to start, now it is not.

PXL_20230815_145130568.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wondering what suggestion people have in keeping the lid of my (free on the side of the road) Weber grill clean on the outside. I've used this maybe a 20 - 30 times. It was clean to start, now it is not.

View attachment 209278
And now you know why they're usually black.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

View attachment 209278
Once it no longer has any grease on it you can use a high heat resistant paint made for grills and automotive engines. Pick your own color or just use black. If you have trouble locating high heat paint try contacting Weber directly.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Once it no longer has any grease on it you can use a high heat resistant paint made for grills and automotive engines. Pick your own color or just use black. If you have trouble locating high heat paint try contacting Weber directly.
great easy solution suggestion! I used high temp black on my fire pit project and it's great. but the Engine block idea is super as you may get a rainbow of options.

One just needs to understand the temps can get really high on the lid .. so be sure to pick a high temp paint

engine enamel typically 500F, BBQ black is 1200F

my red weber is ceramic coated .. .. ohhhh stop the press .. love google: 2000F with ceramic:

or other colors or gloss's

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did a brisket using the Egg Nerds rub mentioned pages ago.

Starred late but i cut the thin end and only 5 lbs maybe.

Cooked at 220, 230 ish max while smoking, first 2 to 3 hrs then pushed it up to higher to push.

Did mop and have water in my weber grill.

Came out pretty good, Mayne wrap it prior to being done. I didn't wrap at all

Attachments

• 20230904_185855.jpg
    20230904_185855.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230904_175936.jpg
    20230904_175936.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 3

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Possibly the hurrah of the season up here in the Minneapple. Smoked, modified Texas Style (S&P, cumin, and chili powers) uncured pork belly......pulled it and made ridiculous sandwiches on Martins Potato rolls (imported from my last trip to the homeland aka Jersey!!!) and put some in seamed bao buns, with sirachia mayo, pickled onion, and scallions.
1699054282658.png

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
excellent, i'll giver her a try!

thanks @JeffB
giving a try today with plans now to move to oven for finishing. Did this once when I started after dinner, and then roasted for 8 more hours at 225 overnight.

made for a different but wanted breakfast ... carnivores

edit: in regards to Elder Ward's Brisket Rub as ref by @JeffB

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online