• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My wife wouldn't eat anything cute for years. As my son got older and started ordering lamb chops whenever we went for Mediterranean she finally gave in and tried some. Now she buys it all the time for home. Still working on veal. I've snuck some into Bolognese and she just said don't tell her. Getting closer.
My wife refuses to eat lamb says it has a bad smell. In over 40 years of marriage she has never cooked lamb and I don't see that changing any time.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's not the cuteness factor as she will eat some well-disguised lamb if not gamey. I have prepared an Italian style leg of lamb with pesto and sautéed radicchio on the side that she has eaten. And she does prepare a Greek lamb meatball dish. That's about it in 33 years of marriage. But that lamb better not be strong and passes the sniff test. My son used to eat lamb, but I'm not sure what changed. I use veal in Bolognese and meatballs all the time.

Maybe barbequed lamb will the third charm for her.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
@JeffB , or @Philpug ......have you, or anyone else here, tried everything bagel seasoning on a grilled meat/veg item? Used Montreal seasoning on a tri tip last night and that has a salty/spicy kick...got me thinking about the everything bagel seasoning.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@JeffB , or @Philpug ......have you, or anyone else here, tried everything bagel seasoning on a grilled meat/veg item? Used Montreal seasoning on a tri tip last night and that has a salty/spicy kick...got me thinking about the everything bagel seasoning.
Montreal is my go to, the regular one, not the fancy mesquite or brown sugar ones.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

I've definitely had some failed steak attempts that chewed like a bagel, but never thought about making it intentionally taste like one.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Everything seasoning sounds intriguing, I occasionally use Montreal seasoning, but my go to steak is ribeye rubbed with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, then allowed to warm to RT before grilling. I think the last time I used Montreal was on some flat-iron steaks.

Tacos al carbon (what we called "fajitas" in Houston TX back in the 70's) are skirt steak pounded to even the thickness and marinated with lime juice, garlic, and salt. Maybe a touch of cumin or coriander to mix it up. Sliced against the grain and served on corn tortillas (not flour!) with your favorite homemade salsa.

A family favorite is flank steak marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, finely minced rosemary, salt and pepper, and sliced to serve anyway you want. My family likes this on big summer salads.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
I've definitely had some failed steak attempts that chewed like a bagel, but never thought about making it intentionally taste like one.

That's awesome. Well said!!!

The everything bagel "spice" is certainly interesting and I see the appeal: garlic, onion, salt...the sesame seeds are interesting but caraway seeds throw me. I'm not sure how everything bagel spices would be on a meat Veggies maybe....McCormicks Montreal seasoning does the job really well.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I have not tried that, but it may work just fine depending on the cut and cook method. For tri-tips specifically, I go low and slow after a sear and tend to prefer a BBQ dry rub. For higher temp cooks on strips, ribeye, etc, I think Montreal works well, but on a really nice steak, I tend to go with ground salt and pepper only. But there are no rules and experimentation is fun. Worst case, you learn a lesson and order a pizza.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pork shoulder, cut a deep crosshatch through the fat cap and marinate a day or three in a sweet mix of brown sugar and cider vinegar. Dry rub (I like something called Ol' Hawg's Breath) and smoke.

Last year a buddy from Kansas City encouraged me to get a pellet smoker, and now that I'm somewhat up the learning curve I have to admit it's not bad. The last one spent overnight at 140 and the next day at 180-225, and was about as good as what I'd do on my hardwood smoker with a lot less hassle.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
@JeffB .........you have any pics or culinary updates from the back yard???
New toy to go with the 3 eggs and plancha - pizza oven. Just got it, so I’m not good with it yet, but it’s pretty cool. And fun to play with.

edited to add that I got the optional cast iron accessory for very high temp work on steaks. Oven goes well over 1000 degrees easily. Haven’t tried it yet, but plan on it next week. Have to season the iron first.
68AB57C8-E9BC-4648-B1C6-EC1E21BC48F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
Grilled my own Father's Day dinner. Bone in ribeyes. What little leftovers there are will go over salad with gorgonzola for lunch today.

View attachment 136298 View attachment 136299
You are not alone, I grilled my own beef tenderloin. The Mrs. prepared it for the grill, but it was my job to put it on the grill, turn it when it was time and make sure I didn't over cook it. I like to cook the beef tenderloin in one piece and cut it down to individual portions when it is done.

Jersey Skier

Skier
New toy to go with the 3 eggs and plancha - pizza oven. Just got it, so I’m not good with it yet, but it’s pretty cool. And fun to play with.

edited to add that I got the optional cast iron accessory for very high temp work on steaks. Oven goes well over 1000 degrees easily. Haven’t tried it yet, but plan on it next week. Have to season the iron first.
View attachment 136300

Why is this necessary if you have 3 eggs already?

Jersey Skier

Skier
You are not alone, I grilled my own beef tenderloin. The Mrs. prepared it for the grill, but it was my job to put it on the grill, turn it when it was time and make sure I didn't over cook it. I like to cook the beef tenderloin in one piece and cut it down to individual portions when it is done.

Father's Day gift was a gift certificate to Mr. Steak in NE so there should be plenty more to come.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0249.jpg
Perfection! Steak Rare.png

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s that?
Does one want to cook steaks at 900deg ?

Uncle-A

Skier
Father's Day gift was a gift certificate to Mr. Steak in NE so there should be plenty more to come.
I also got a gift certificate but to Amazon. It was interesting that Amazon scheduled Prime Days after Father's Day. I suggested to my daughter that if I received a gift certificate I could get some of the Prime Days deals instead of paying full price for the same thing just so I would receive the gift on Father's Day. She thought it was a good idea and now I have something to spend on Prime Days.

Sponsor

Staff online