• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The family. I still have plenty to learn.
View attachment 136365
Nice! I'm green with envy :ogbiggrin:
I went with the Primo line a number of years back--got the large oval. The only gripe I have with lump is the shear volume of tiny pieces of charcoal and dust in each bag. Sometimes nearly half the bag seems like crap, always the nice pieces are at the top. I can't seem to find a brand ( even Big Green Egg brand ) of lump charcoal that has med-large pieces throughout the bag. I find the really small pieces don't allow enough air between them to start burning without a lot of fuss.
What brand do you use? How do you deal with those tiny pieces of charcoal?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I went with the Primo line a number of years back--got the large oval. The only gripe I have with lump is the shear volume of tiny pieces of charcoal and dust in each bag. Sometimes nearly half the bag seems like crap, always the nice pieces are at the top. I can't seem to find a brand ( even Big Green Egg brand ) of lump charcoal that has med-large pieces throughout the bag. I find the really small pieces don't allow enough air between them to start burning without a lot of fuss.

I've tried a lot of brands but always go back to Royal Oak from Home Depot. It's cheap and convenient and I haven't found anything at 2 to 3 times the cost to be noticeably better. Like you, I've found even if advertised as large pieces, there will still be a lot of small pieces in there.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe the overall point is to strive for proper moisture/flavorful juice management depending upon cook method. There are many ways to achieve this and I suppose it’s reasonable to reach certain conclusions based on results, but have a situation where correlation and causality do not match.
Yeah I think you’ve hit on it.
Do you determine doneness by temperature probe or just by experience/time?

I think a steak without that outside char/crust is like bread without a crust. Doesn’t taste good, looks terrible. A sous vide steak could be perfectly cooked but few would want to eat it without searing.
If the sear theory of juice retention was true, how would reverse sear work? You’d be left with a dry piece of meat inside.

His theory for explaining resting and juice retention is all temperature based. I.e., juices redistribute as the temperature in spots goes down, the fibers can hold more juice.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Do you determine doneness by temperature probe or just by experience/time?
I use a connected electronic probe for everything, except steak. Steak is just time based on experience and previous failures.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
If the sear theory of juice retention was true, how would reverse sear work? You’d be left with a dry piece of meat inside.

Forgot to answer this question re reverse sear, not revisiting the juice discussion, and I can only speak to methods on the BGE.

It’s relatively easy technically to reverse sear, but rarely worth the trouble at least to me. First, you set the egg to whatever low temp you want. Say 250. Doesn’t matter. Then, with a flame deflector, called a plate setter in the BGE cult, you block direct access to the flame, and add your steak with a temp probe for monitoring. At some point depending on your taste, say 120 internal if beef, you pull the steaks and rest them. While resting, you pull the diverter and crank open all the vents to get the blast furnace. Then, you sear the rested steaks about 60 seconds per side to achieve mid-rare.

The question thus becomes, why bother? Well, it depends on the cut. If you’re aiming to impart a smoke flavor in a tri-tip or roast, some people believe the meat takes the smoke better this way and conclude that searing first and roasting second prevents smoke flavor. Personally, I think that’s mostly bullshit. The real reason to do it is because the egg is so massive from a thermal sink perspective that it’s next to impossible to use it for searing on the front end and then drop the temp below 400 (which is still way too high) for a very long time. Thus, the so-called reverse sear method.

Instead of mucking about with all this, I use the range inside to sear in cast iron, and then put the meat on the egg, at least for cuts like I described.

There is no valid reason I can see to doing this with standard cut of steak. Maybe double cut pork chops if you wanted apple smoke. So, it depends.

But reverse sear does not change the juicy factor, as long as you get your setup right and use a probe thermo.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Forgot to answer this question re reverse sear, not revisiting the juice discussion, and I can only speak to methods on the BGE.

It’s relatively easy technically to reverse sear, but rarely worth the trouble at least to me. First, you set the egg to whatever low temp you want. Say 250. Doesn’t matter. Then, with a flame deflector, called a plate setter in the BGE cult, you block direct access to the flame, and add your steak with a temp probe for monitoring. At some point depending on your taste, say 120 internal if beef, you pull the steaks and rest them. While resting, you pull the diverter and crank open all the vents to get the blast furnace. Then, you sear the rested steaks about 60 seconds per side to achieve mid-rare.

The question thus becomes, why bother? Well, it depends on the cut. If you’re aiming to impart a smoke flavor in a tri-tip or roast, some people believe the meat takes the smoke better this way and conclude that searing first and roasting second prevents smoke flavor. Personally, I think that’s mostly bullshit. The real reason to do it is because the egg is so massive from a thermal sink perspective that it’s next to impossible to use it for searing on the front end and then drop the temp below 400 (which is still way too high) for a very long time. Thus, the so-called reverse sear method.

Instead of mucking about with all this, I use the range inside to sear in cast iron, and then put the meat on the egg, at least for cuts like I described.

There is no valid reason I can see to doing this with standard cut of steak. Maybe double cut pork chops if you wanted apple smoke. So, it depends.

But reverse sear does not change the juicy factor, as long as you get your setup right and use a probe thermo.

I've found that a reverse sear on the BGE will provide medium rare steak from edge to edge and still have a nice crust. While it's the slowest way to cook a steak I find it's the safest way not to ruin a really expensive thick cut. If it's not close to 2" thick I use the T Rex method. Sear it for about 1 1/2 minutes per side then pull. Let it rest for 20 minutes while the temp drops to 350-400. Then back on the egg for a few more minutes per side. Still comes out with a nice med rare cook, but it's not edge to edge like a reverse sear.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
July 4th. Broke out the smoker, well always using the smoker during the summer, made a 9# butt (Texas style), smoked beans, regular coleslaw, and a chipotle lime coleslaw. Awesome menu to celebrate an awesome country with some awesome friends.
IMG_9901.JPG

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two pork butts on the smoker for 10 hours at 180 C. I tried a new spice rub: salt, brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, dry mustard, cumin, and the new ingredients of hot Mexican chili powder (no cayenne pepper) and Chinese five spice powder. Really good with pork!

Served with a Texas-style bbq sauce, baked beans, greens, and celery root slaw. Blueberry crumble bars for dessert. You (I) really the vinegary greens to cut through the richness of the bbq and smoke.
IMG_20210702_190034154_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This flank, posted earlier in the thread, was 800 degrees, 90 seconds per side. My personal view is that is the best way to do it, but people are free to disagree of course. I’ve never had any problems with very high temps and very short cook times.
View attachment 136355
Hard to disagree with those results.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
This is going to sound insane and maybe it is. I sort charcoal by size when I buy a bag and empty it into my containers (galvanized cans with lids available at any Ace Hardware). I usually buy BGE lump, but Royal Oak is the same. I think there was some internet rumor that Royal Oak produces BGE, but I can’t confirm it and perhaps I’m wrong. Anyway, the idea is to separate large, medium, small, and dust. It makes no difference in ordinary cooking, but it does matter if you’re going low and slow for 20+ hours.

In that circumstance, I use the pieces like a 3D puzzle from the various containers to build each layer. Largest goes first, then fill in holes with medium, and fill in additional holes with small. Discard the dust. I’ve built this to the top of the fire ring in the large many times and regularly get fires that approach 40 hours without tending or ash removal. That’s good for multiple butts or briskets. The key is the largest pieces at the bottom so the ash doesn’t fall down and clog the air intake.

I presume it’s theoretically possible to get a mini to run for 12-16 hours with this method and do a small butt or brisket in it, but I’ve never tried. Anyway, if you enjoy embracing OCD tendencies, the above method might be up your alley.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Bacon wrapped pork tenderloins were on the menu tonight. Done with indirect heat and apple smoke on the small egg at dome temps 320-350.
3C8FE80B-DB3F-44EA-8B4F-B5F1B42E8245.jpeg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is going to sound insane and maybe it is. I sort charcoal by size when I buy a bag and empty it into my containers (galvanized cans with lids available at any Ace Hardware). I usually buy BGE lump, but Royal Oak is the same. I think there was some internet rumor that Royal Oak produces BGE, but I can’t confirm it and perhaps I’m wrong. Anyway, the idea is to separate large, medium, small, and dust. It makes no difference in ordinary cooking, but it does matter if you’re going low and slow for 20+ hours.

In that circumstance, I use the pieces like a 3D puzzle from the various containers to build each layer. Largest goes first, then fill in holes with medium, and fill in additional holes with small. Discard the dust. I’ve built this to the top of the fire ring in the large many times and regularly get fires that approach 40 hours without tending or ash removal. That’s good for multiple butts or briskets. The key is the largest pieces at the bottom so the ash doesn’t fall down and clog the air intake.

I presume it’s theoretically possible to get a mini to run for 12-16 hours with this method and do a small butt or brisket in it, but I’ve never tried. Anyway, if you enjoy embracing OCD tendencies, the above method might be up your alley.

Thanks for the reply! Large pieces on the bottom--makes sense. I'll have give your method a go.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Thanks for the reply! Large pieces on the bottom--makes sense. I'll have give your method a go.
I should have written it more clearly but failed. Think more in layers. Large at the bottom, yes, but then fully fill in that layer with medium and then small. When that layer is complete, repeat the process with layer two. And so on. If you’re smoking a butt, then hickory goes in every 3rd layer or thereabouts. Or whatever smoke you like. Again, this only matters if you’re doing a 10 pound butt overnight and then planning to do some ribs or sides after it’s done. If you really geek out on it, it’s astounding how much lump a large egg will hold and how long it will keep ash in the stack and not the ash box impeding air flow.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Gonna cause a massive war here but I hate natural lump and ditched it 5 years ago. The natural lump is too inconsistent to help guarantee a long consistent slow burn. The lack of consistency in the lump is also increases the cost, not a problem, but really annoying when you open the bag and get a ton of dust and pieces that are really small.

I use, and prefer, Royal Oak briquettes in my smoker and can get a 6-7 hour burn at 250-275. Just tried Kingsford and got a 7.5 hour burn.....found that the Kingsford runs hotter than the Royal Oak, which is not a positive for bbq.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone ever try these deep aluminum grates?
You could use the hole side for say fish.

View attachment 136401

I have a couple sets, one for my pellet grill at home and another I keep in our fifth wheel for the grill. They work pretty well and hold up better than most grill grates.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have a couple sets, one for my pellet grill at home and another I keep in our fifth wheel for the grill. They work pretty well and hold up better than most grill grates.
Is the spacing too wide gor saw hamburgers? I assume fish has to be done on the flat side because of that spoacing. Debated between those and the cast iron.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is the spacing too wide gor saw hamburgers? I assume fish has to be done on the flat side because of that spoacing. Debated between those and the cast iron.
I haven’t cooked any fish on the but tons of gamblers, chicken, steak, etc. and never had any issues with the spacing.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
@JeffB -- Does Mrs. JeffB know and practice all these BBQ strategies? I suspect the answer is No and the conversation would be similar to the one I had with my mother:

Me, seeing my father struggling with the tractor and whatever attachment: Why don't you drive the tractor?
Mom: Because I don't know how
Me: Why don't you learn how?
Mom: Because then I'd have to drive the tractor

Sponsor

Staff online