• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
@JeffB -- Does Mrs. JeffB know and practice all these BBQ strategies? I suspect the answer is No and the conversation would be similar to the one I had with my mother:

Me, seeing my father struggling with the tractor and whatever attachment: Why don't you drive the tractor?
Mom: Because I don't know how
Me: Why don't you learn how?
Mom: Because then I'd have to drive the tractor
Hell no she doesn’t know how to do it. She certainly is capable, but chooses not to. Which is fine. We are 20+ years in at this point and have our respective lanes..

She claims she would do bbq if I buy a gas grill with a push button start. It’s BS though because she knows I won’t - kinda like me saying I’ll try out the claw foot tub in the master if she gets a bath bomb that smells manly.

It’s just not going to happen - and we’re both completely fine with that.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bacon wrapped pork tenderloins were on the menu tonight. Done with indirect heat and apple smoke on the small egg at dome temps 320-350.
View attachment 137315
I saw this post and thought....yeah because what pork really needs is more pork

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We're in the market for a new gas grill. Priced the Weber from $469 to $569. Was crying a little but was going to do it. A dear friend of ours works at a hardware store, he asked if we could wait a couple weeks and he would see what he could do. They had a customer who bought a brand new grill and upon delivery the hardware store took the old one away. My friend put it in the back and called us. It's a little older but not used much. We may need to order flavor bars but aside from buying s propane tank and giving it a good cleaning it's ready to roll.

Cost $0

I'll take it.

20210711_155632.jpg 20210711_155627.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're in the market for a new gas grill. Priced the Weber from $469 to $569. Was crying a little but was going to do it. A dear friend of ours works at a hardware store, he asked if we could wait a couple weeks and he would see what he could do. They had a customer who bought a brand new grill and upon delivery the hardware store took the old one away. My friend put it in the back and called us. It's a little older but not used much. We may need to order flavor bars but aside from buying s propane tank and giving it a good cleaning it's ready to roll.

Cost $0

I'll take it.

View attachment 137519 View attachment 137520
There's a guy in SF Bay area that makes heavier replacement flavorizer bars and grill grates. His parts last longer and competitively priced to OEM. I first found him on local Craigslist, but have since also found him on fleabay.
Given your cost basis, maybe a splurge in these two parts are in order?

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier

Cost $0

I'll take it.

View attachment 137519 View attachment 137520
I had one of those before I joined the egg cult some years back. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you want to go super cheap/DIY, you can get some angle iron and make your own flavor bars, assuming you have a handy way to cut the iron. I always covered the flavor bars with lava rocks too, but I vaguely recall the lava rock thing being controversial in some circles. I can’t remember why …

Anyway, looks like a good rig and you’ll never beat the price -

I’d splurge on a cast iron grate and make my own flavor bars/internals.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Did real barbacoa yesterday....smoked beef cheeks (not chuck roast), then braised them off in the smoker. Pulled and served with the reduced braising liquids, homemade flour and corn tortillas, cotija cheese, fresh salsa and avocado slices. Mrs. WallyK was not a fan nor was my 7 year old (expected)....but the 14 year old and some neighbors did appreciate the authentic Mexican flair.

IMG_9937.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Similarly, Sunday I braised some beef short ribs in a Korean marinade until tender in the oven, then charred on the grill before serving to wrap in lettuce leaves with Kimchee and Go Chu Jang sauce. These short ribs were not thin sliced like the ones I tried first last year, but still tasty. The braising liquid is good for later making a beef soup noodle.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Yeah, and corn is as it's best right now. But I know what it does to me!! Actually I was cleaning out the fridge too...After making a double batch of Ratatouille and some Chick pea salad.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Flank steak..$8.99 lb. Ribeye..$8.99 lb. Hmmm. Love me some Ribeyes!
Oh, those were the days! What's ribeye now? $15 or $16 on a good day?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally broke down (stepped up?) and got a pellet smoker/grill. Costco had one of their road shows. 800+ square inches of rack, 600°, and a searing feature. WiFi/Bluetooth and two probes. Pretty slick. The first meat on the grill were a couple of tritips. They came out really well. 20211120_153421.jpg 20211118_170440.jpg

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally broke down (stepped up?) and got a pellet smoker/grill. Costco had one of their road shows. 800+ square inches of rack, 600°, and a searing feature. WiFi/Bluetooth and two probes. Pretty slick. The first meat on the grill were a couple of tritips. They came out really well. View attachment 148994 View attachment 148995
You know someone stole your screen name and has been posting on the weight loss thread. :duck:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Could of used the antlers as the skewers and doubly insulted the beasts.
No antlers on antelope, only horns. And only tiny ones on this one.

Sponsor

Staff online