• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Just picked up a lot of beef from a guy who farms beef cattle about 2 hours away. All organic, grass fed, grain finished, and processed to your specs to include inclusions and exclusions, packaging, and cut thickness on the steaks. About 225 pounds total and overall pricing works out to be just over 5 bucks per pound. Only 68 pounds of ground beef. Not a bad deal given store pricing these days. Happy grilling!
A8E5B862-DBF5-4440-83FE-D325C950ADCD.jpeg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just picked up a lot of beef from a guy who farms beef cattle about 2 hours away. All organic, grass fed, grain finished, and processed to your specs to include inclusions and exclusions, packaging, and cut thickness on the steaks. About 225 pounds total and overall pricing works out to be just over 5 bucks per pound. Only 68 pounds of ground beef. Not a bad deal given store pricing these days. Happy grilling!
View attachment 160102
The only thing missing there is a fire.
1C6260CB-8ABA-4500-8BEC-9F802C1F1F30.jpeg CB336427-1238-4792-AFA8-B3DE492D04DA.jpeg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It was a pork chop night from the grill last night. We do simple and easy. Buy a pork loin and cut them about an inch thick. sprinkle some Alpine Touch (this stuff is a Montana kitchen staple if you don't have it find it) and let them sit for about one beer. Being lazy they go on the gas grill at kind of medium high temp and turn them often.
Juicy and tender.
They never survive long enough for pictures.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It was a pork chop night from the grill last night. We do simple and easy. Buy a pork loin and cut them about an inch thick. sprinkle some Alpine Touch (this stuff is a Montana kitchen staple if you don't have it find it) and let them sit for about one beer. Being lazy they go on the gas grill at kind of medium high temp and turn them often.
Juicy and tender.
They never survive long enough for pictures.
We do the same with the pork tenderloin, buy the whole thing and cut it down to chops. Cook them on the grill in most weather.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a question for you heavy grillers/smoker folk

I picked up a free tea when at a hotel, a Twinings, Lapsang Souchong.

I was super smoky in flavor and got me wondering if anyone ever used it in a marinade?

I'm thinking of buying some and giving it a try, it's simply a smoked black tea and I see recipes for using teas to smoke with.

Anyone use tea to smoke and recommendation/recipe?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In the spirit of half assed cultural appropriation some lamb chops for tonight. Yea i know it's not proper shank.. And, a NY strip for miss "I don't like lamb" :-P

1650036052784.png

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the spirit of half assed cultural appropriation some lamb chops for tonight. Yea i know it's not proper shank.. And, a NY strip for miss "I don't like lamb" :-P

View attachment 166497
Does lamb saag from the Indian take-out shop near Killington count as well? It wasn't as good as I hoped, but I have to get my lamb AND Indian food when the wife is not a round as she is not a fan of either.

I need to stop skiing and head home if I want to do some proper bbg this spring!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
With much sadness my SO doesn't want to bring the BBQ we just put together to the desk. It's propane and even though our association allows it, he's nervous with the wood siding of our condo. So we'll bring it up to VT and store it on our friends deck for us to use when we want to grill. I'll be buying an electric grill for our deck in CT, yes I know................... but it's something to cook on outside so I'll take what I can get.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
With much sadness my SO doesn't want to bring the BBQ we just put together to the desk. It's propane and even though our association allows it, he's nervous with the wood siding of our condo. So we'll bring it up to VT and store it on our friends deck for us to use when we want to grill. I'll be buying an electric grill for our deck in CT, yes I know................... but it's something to cook on outside so I'll take what I can get.
You could get a couple pieces of tile backer or other fire resistant material and lean one against the wall while cooking and one under the grill. Short of flaming oil you should be good!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
in agreement with @Andy Mink , backer board or decretive sheet metal stood off from wall, lots of flame resistant flooring mats out there too.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Well vinyl siding is worst....it melts. I have both vinyl and brick on my patio. My BBQ is up against the brick. I can see where the previous owners had it too close to the vinyl.

Lots of ways to not to the set the place on fire....

Edit - post 286 is my condo set up. Cottage has the BBQ out in the open.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
in agreement with @Andy Mink , backer board or decretive sheet metal stood off from wall, lots of flame resistant flooring mats out there too.

Great idea. Our friends BBQ died in our complex in VT tho so we decided to bring it up there. Now we have a grill for us to use. We'll get a simple electric one for CT. I know there's still fire risk there but we're better with this than the propane. It's not ideal but at least we can cook outside and ernjoy our deck.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If leaving a burner running is a poor habit, with electric you can get a time out switch for higher power units.

It'll kill the juice to a unit if you forget

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Pretty sparse pics/comments about smoked meats this year........may have to do with price of meat??? Smoked butt Texas style.....heavy pepper, salt, and various chili powders. Pork butt is a gift that keeps on giving.

1657985797373.png

Sponsor

Staff online