• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BBQ and outdoor cooking

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tex

love the smoker, simple, basic, but looks serious too.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
love the smoker, simple, basic, but looks serious too.
Thanks, I have had it for 23 years. I had my eye on it for a long time, but my wife said it was too much money. But my son bought it for me for my birthday, he was only 2 years old so I had to pay for it, but it's the thought that counts.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank God I love meat!! View attachment 177905
We often pair grilled veggies like yours with steak. My daughter and I like grilled zucchini with the peppers and portabellas, but my wife and son are not big fans.

Yesterday we went to the Kennett Square Mushroom Festival (https://mushroomfestival.org/). They claim to be the Mushroom Capital of the World. It certainly smells like it sometimes.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Love this thread. Can we add a side-thread on the most flavorful and easy to make marinades and dry rubs for different types of steaks, chicken, and fish (e.g., fresh troll caught salmon). FYI, we grill mostly organic and grass-fed flank steak, bone-in rib-eye steaks, and NY steaks. I have yet to grill ribs or brisket.

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@Tex and any other smokers out there.

Ive been using one of those big chief electric smokers for close to 20 years. Its a basic aluminum box with a bunch of grates. Its powered by an electric heating element that you put a pan of wood chips on. We do ALOT of salmon on it. I usually do 3 pans of chips(alder) which take about 45 minutes each to burn and then I just let the heater element run. Total time in the smoker is about 10-12 hours. I find that gives a good balance of smoke flavor.

question, on the wood fired smokers how do you apply heat without over smoking the meat??

A few trays lined up and drying after coming out of the brine.
45671E55-C9C7-433C-B6B5-8D051C518AF2.jpeg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
question, on the wood fired smokers how do you apply heat without over smoking the meat??
I don't understand your question. ;)

Seriously, I lean to a heavy smoke on my meat, but that is my preference and it's not for everyone. Since I switched to a Traeger pellet smoker, all the heat come from the wood. If you turn up the heat you tend to get less smoke, but you got to be careful and keep a close eye on it. Once I did a whole beef loin roast at 425 to medium rare that had a nice mild smoke flavor and served it with chimichurri sauce. But usually its brisket or pork ribs at 225 low and slooow and smoky.

We have a friend that's a big tuna fisherman at the Jersey shore. He uses his Traeger to smoke a lot of his fish and I never thought it tasted too smoky. There is a SMOKE setting on many Traegers that must work pretty well, but I've never used it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you turn up the heat you tend to get less smoke
I notice this with my Louisiana Grills pellet grill. Keep the temp down and there is a lot of smoke. For grilling at high temps, not much. If I'm not smoking I generally use "generic" hardwood blend since all I'm looking for is a little heat. I haven't done smoked salmon yet on the pellet smoker though I did make some good ss on my old propane smoker where I used fresh apple cuttings. I just changed the box out a couple of times.

chris_the_wrench

Skier
. If I'm not smoking I generally use "generic" hardwood blend since all I'm looking for is a little heat.

yeah i think ya hear me. I want to ‘smoke’ the fish for about 2-2.5 hours and then just heat it at about 175’ish for another 8-10 hours. Sounds like with those more sophisticated smokers you can control the heat abit more than my plug in model.

I got four more salmon soaking in brine right now, my lil electric smoker will be getting more action tomorrow!

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I got four more salmon soaking in brine right now, my lil electric smoker will be getting more action tomorrow!
Well shoot! I got these 4 salmon soaking in brine all last night, turned on the smoker this morning to warm it up and nothing. The heating element has been giving me some issues but I always forget about it. So this morning I had to do an unplanned trip to Cabelas to grab a new smoker. Got myself a propane unit this time. Figured that be good for some of our fishing camp trips. This thing really pumps out the heat and smoke. We’ll see how this first batch of fish comes out tonight.
image.jpg

And some smoked salmon ‘pizza’
99E7DA38-7379-4C1F-A89D-BBEE5DE0C3A3.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Well shoot! I got these 4 salmon soaking in brine all last night, turned on the smoker this morning to warm it up and nothing. The heating element has been giving me some issues but I always forget about it. So this morning I had to do an unplanned trip to Cabelas to grab a new smoker. Got myself a propane unit this time. Figured that be good for some of our fishing camp trips. This thing really pumps out the heat and smoke. We’ll see how this first batch of fish comes out tonight.
View attachment 180599

And some smoked salmon ‘pizza’
View attachment 180600
Congrats on your new smoker but smoked salmon on pizza is a bit much for me.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Just a little before and after shot of tonight's dinner.
PXL_20221015_224658811.jpg
PXL_20221015_230340004.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I tried something new tonight. Poor man's burnt ends. Chuck roast cut into cubes on the smoker. Get them to 165°, put them in a tin with honey, wrap/cover and take them to 203°ish. Looks good, tastes good, but not very tender. I've lost faith in my 3 different thermometers and will be investing in a Meater. Small pieces are harder to get a good read on. If the thermometer is not exactly right it'll read high.
20230124_184018.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink