• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BCA Tracker4 Recall

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is kind of alarming. Black Diamond/PIEPS also issued a "safety check" about a month ago for pretty much all their newer models. Most of the issues appear to be related to the "mechanical" mode switch, not the electronics. You would think making a reliable switch shouldn't be that complicated and be well tested. It is kind of disconcerting when you start losing trust in safety equipment.

Black Diamond /PIEPS Safety Notification: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/content/beacon-notification/

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
BCA issued a safety recall notice for the Tracker 4 transceiver.

Do you have a recent model (June 1st, 2021 or more recent), serial number starting with 21H05 or 21H06, than this message is for you!

James

Out There
Instructor
So you wouldn’t be able to switch from transmit to receive?
——————-
The reason for the recall is a switch plastics production issue that may result in the switch falling off the transceiver. If this occurs, the user would not be able to turn the transceiver on and off, preventing the ability to transmit or search for a discoverable electronic signal in the event of an avalanche. There have been no reported incidents in which the Tracker4 switch issue has contributed to a fatality, injury, or other damage.
———-

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Regarding Pieps/Black Diamond... it's not really such simple test as they wrote, as main issue is somewhere deeper in electronics from what I just heard last week. It's not just that that transceiver doesn't switch between modes, but from what I heard from one of Pieps guys here is, that transceiver can switch normally back to search mode, but it just doesn't transmit, even though all looks cool on screen. So basically even if all looks good on screen, you need second transceiver in search mode to prove that your transceiver is actually transmitting. I switched my old Pieps DSP Pro for Barryvox S because of switch issues year or two ago, and obviously it's time to switch my wife's Pieps Pro BT to Mammut too. I really don't feel comfortable with all these shit from Pieps in last few years, having their device on which my life might depend on. I'm not saying Mammut is any better, but at least for now, there's not much similar noise about Mammut.

TS
ZionPow

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pieps Pro BT
I switched from a BCA Tracker2 to the Pieps Pro BT last season. I used it for work and personal use close to 100 days with no problems. It was turned ON 9-10 hours every day I was on the mountain, and I performed single and multiple transceiver searches almost daily. The transmit function was checked by my route partner every day we did avalanche mitigation. We also have transceiver check stations on the mountain. I feel comfortable that it functioned flawlessly all season. I really like the advanced functions of the Pieps Pro BT such as signal marking and Bluetooth capability. I think the takeaway is that people have to be diligent and check whatever transceiver they use every day and practice frequently. It is an electronic device that could fail at any time. I see too many people carry a transceiver but rarely check the functions or practice using it.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

BCA makes good stuff, I used their tracker 2 for years. That said, the Mammut / Barryvox avalanche transceiver I have now is amazing. If you are in the market for one that is what I would buy today.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
While this is definitely a more serious issue I feel like beacon recalls have been happening more frequently throughout the years. Maybe it is expected as technology grows at such a rapid pace but most of the time it is more manufacturer concern rather than a user concern. That being said every second matters during a burial and we want the safest equipment out there!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ZionPow with this current thing of Pieps it's not so much about checking if it transmits or practice or anything similar. It is suppose to happen when you switch between modes (transmit and search) and when you switch back to transmit, transceiver is suppose to show normal on screen, meaning, it's suppose to be in transmit mode, yet it's not transmitting. Official explanation is slightly different and your screen is not suppose to show it's back in transmit mode, but from what I heard, it can happen it's showing it's in transmit mode yet it's not transmitting. Sure normally it's not really much of an issue, as once you need it in search mode for real, I would say most off the mountain and don't continue skiing, but if you switch it to search on beginning for "group check" or in middle of day for quick training, most of people don't check again if it's really transmitting or not, but trust device is transmitting if it's showing it does.
Otherwise I don't really have much to say against Pro BT, but I still like Barryvox S better... slightly longer reach, few nice features that are not on Pro BT, but bluetooth connectivity of Pro BT is pretty damn cool thing, especially for quick transceiver check and upgrades when needed. So perfect one for me would be combo of Barryvox S and Pro BT :)

James

Out There
Instructor
While this is definitely a more serious issue I feel like beacon recalls have been happening more frequently throughout the years. Maybe it is expected as technology grows at such a rapid pace but most of the time it is more manufacturer concern rather than a user concern. That being said every second matters during a burial and we want the safest equipment out there!
Yeah, but mechanical switch failure?

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, but mechanical switch failure?

That is definitely the most serious issue I’ve seen in a long time and that should not be a issue or concern for anyone using a beacon.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There seems to be a trend in recalls.
This is such an important piece of safety gear.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January