• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Our next-door neighbor took this pic this morning at the back of our property while we were out for appointments. I took the car and my wife was on foot. Thankfully, she came home after the bear was gone.
EB93C450-240F-44EF-8332-AD9647F3DEEC.jpeg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Idaho News: Archery hunters attacked by sow grizzly bear in Sandpoint.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Our next-door neighbor took this pic this morning at the back of our property while we were out for appointments. I took the car and my wife was on foot. Thankfully, she came home after the bear was gone. View attachment 109932

Wow Texas is snowier and bearier than the movies suggest ;)

I blame James Dean, Larry Hagman and Lee Harvey Oswald for my previous misconceptions.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Wow, @Sibhusky, extra hugs for everyone, every day.
Would that be bear hugs ogsmile

Bear wrestling 101 ( I also posted this today in the "you can't make this stuff up thread")
just 5 miles from my house !! :geek:
A man tackles a 350lb bear to get his dog from its mouth.
1. Hardly in the news here.
2. in Yahoo news 3 days ago.
3. reported 5 days ago in England -insane !
4, UK article says he got $2700 on goFundMe for vet bills.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
just 5 miles from my house !! :geek:
A man tackles a 350lb bear to get his dog from its mouth.
1. Hardly in the news here.
2. in Yahoo news 3 days ago.
3. reported 5 days ago in England -insane !
4, UK article says he got $2700 on goFundMe for vet bills.

That is just crazy.
Do you have a pet @John Webb?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
That is just crazy.
@Tricia No pets though we once had a cat for 12 years. This bear in an older post perched in a neighbors apple tree visited us before and after this photo. His teeth marks are still in our plastic garbage bin ! Pets here need to come in at night !

To add to the story just after yesterdays post we heard the high pitch shriek of a Mountain Lion in the distance !

Claybear.jpg.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is just crazy.
Just shows how dangerous the thin skinned, toothless, clawless and weak species “man” is even un-armed. They are just determined to win and don’t back down despite all odds. Ive them tools and they get even more dangerous.

They are the Uber honey badger of all species.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Apologies for posting this today in the Tahoe thread:
My Sun Valley story is on the lowest black run near bottom. Face planted and lost Rx glasses. Went back but found run closed. Closes every afternoon

Asked the ski patrol for permission to enter. All the other patrollers in the room were laughing and just pointed to the wall! It was April and a newspaper article showed the patroller I was talking to skiing like mad the previous April with a bear out of hibernation chasing him at this spot. Bear was ready to wake up again !
Happened again last weekend in Romania !

Bear was closing in so he threw his backpack at Bear which distracted it (not in video)

Last edited:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
I am a little confused.

Are we supposed to MA the skier or the bear?

I would say that the bear's technique is better. More fall line, shoulders definitely facing downhill. Less upper body rotation. Twice the inside to outside foot pressure than the skier. Definitely skiing with intent.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not so sure it's not a fake video. The bear could be edited in. That bear running down the hill looks familiar.
There are multiple videos of it from folks on the lift, and some news articles from local sources, so it seems legit. If it's a fake, it's very elaborate.

Sponsor

Staff online