• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
It’s sad but those Cubs down in south lake are likely to be pretty short to this world. The mom is defiantly a townie trash bear and teaching the Cubs those learned traits. Of course it all comes down to being a human created issue since bear are creatures of opportunity. We have a major trash issue around here these days!

I’m worried about my buddy Danny (the bear) falling into that cycle. Living right on the edge of a fairly populated bear habitat I kinda get to know the local bears since I’m out on the trail every day with Chief. Currently theres Danny, a mom with 1 cub, and a mom with 3 Cubs I run into on the regular.

I’ve watched Danny over the past 3 years go from a 20lb blond cub, to a cinnamon yearling, to the 2.5 year old 150lb+/- juvenile with a cinnamon body and brown legs/head he/she is today.

This morning I caught Danny trying to break into cars and when confronted could have really given a shit less, and right in front of me just moved onto the next car. After a minute off yelling and clapping I was able to push him/her back into the woods but clearly is becoming more and more acclimated to humans which doesn’t bode well.

I will say it again.. this is not so much a bear issue as it is a humans leaving food in their cars right in the middle of a bear habitat issue!!

Danny
C66689FF-788D-4083-83DB-3F604066697A.jpeg

And I agree @4ster when I first moved to out here to south lake back in ‘03 there were hardly any issues, and we didn’t even have bear boxes back then.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s sad but those Cubs down in south lake are likely to be pretty short to this world. The mom is defiantly a townie trash bear and teaching the Cubs those learned traits. Of course it all comes down to being a human created issue since bear are creatures of opportunity. We have a major trash issue around here these days!

I’m worried about my buddy Danny (the bear) falling into that cycle. Living right on the edge of a fairly populated bear habitat I kinda get to know the local bears since I’m out on the trail every day with Chief. Currently theres Danny, a mom with 1 cub, and a mom with 3 Cubs I run into on the regular.

I’ve watched Danny over the past 3 years go from a 20lb blond cub, to a cinnamon yearling, to the 2.5 year old 150lb+/- juvenile with a cinnamon body and brown legs/head he/she is today.

This morning I caught Danny trying to break into cars and when confronted could have really given a shit less, and right in front of me just moved onto the next car. After a minute off yelling and clapping I was able to push him/her back into the woods but clearly is becoming more and more acclimated to humans which doesn’t bode well.

I will say it again.. this is not so much a bear issue as it is a humans leaving food in their cars right in the middle of a bear habitat issue!!

Danny
View attachment 137092

And I agree @4ster when I first moved to out here to south lake back in ‘03 there were hardly any issues, and we didn’t even have bear boxes back then.
You are right it is about human interaction. The fact that the bears are not disturbed by humans near by cause the issue.

Not ensuring negative encounters for the bears (making life unpleasant for them when they encounter people) encourages more brazen encounters, potential food being the main attraction.

The unwise think that a leave well-enough alone approach works, unfortunately (for the bears and other wild animals) it does not. It needs to be truly negative on each encounter (yes it may seem cruel), but its better than having to put an aminal down because it is now a serious danger or because it has harmed or kill someone or pet that you love.

Remember, animals don’t understand our rules, we need to understand how they think.

Simply put if they consider all humans dangerous and a risk they will avoid us even if food sources are available (animal watchers sorry) but it is for their safety as much as ours.

@Eric267 hope your situation doesn’t turn into a someone gets hurt or kill situation.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cyclist killed by grizzly in Montana:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I'm glad they don't have bears in Texas, I would have to carry a bigger gun.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Update to above story about the cyclist killed by a grizzly . She and her cycle touring companions were storing their food in their tents! A very mind-blowing practice in bear country, let alone grizzly country!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Update to above story about the cyclist killed by a grizzly . She and her cycle touring companions were storing their food in their tents! A very mind-blowing practice in bear country, let alone grizzly country!

Darwin is always looking for volunteers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm glad they don't have bears in Texas, I would have to carry a bigger gun.

Umm, are you sure?

Careful shooting at hogs too - you might be shooting a protected black bear.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
But you have coyotes and maybe mountian lions !
Coyotes are nothing, we have them in the city, see them all the time, cowards they are... They will prey on small kids/pets, need to watch...

Mountain lions, OMG, those are scary. Never seen one in the wild, not many in North Texas my neck of the woods, but if one comes after me it will get its face shot off!!!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The grizzly bear that killed the cycle tourist in Montana has been shot dead.

Ugh, and so sad on all accounts.

:(

Sponsor